Light-O-Rama Forums

Too much in one case? heat issues?

brichi

On 4/5/2017 at 6:57 AM, dibblejr said:

... as close to the top as I could, since warm air rises

The fans on the PSU will push the warm air before it has a chance to rise. I would take the advice to route the fan output directly out so it doesn't circulate hot air. If you keep all the holes on the bottom then any water getting in will have a place to drain.

I know I am high jacking a little here, but my question is, has anyone noticed a difference in 5 volt (60 amp) and 12 volt power supplies and the frequency of a fan running?   I have used 12 volt power supplies (30AMP) the last 4 years and never heard the fan run in my testing- (most specifically I ran 2 power supplies on 16 ribbons on a falcon controller in a test pattern)..   This year I got some 5 volt pixel nodes and my testing has the fan running as soon as a single strand of 50 nodes is connected with a very simple test pattern.

Seems to be a waist of energy to have the fan running so quickly with such little load.

Edited by steve synek

8 minutes ago, steve synek said:

I know I am high jacking a little here, but my question is, has anyone noticed a difference in 5 volt (60 amp) and 12 volt power supplies and the frequency of a fan running?   I have used 12 volt power supplies (30AMP) the last 4 years and never heard the fan run in my testing- (most specifically I ran 2 power supplies on 16 ribbons on a falcon controller in a test pattern)..   This year I got some 5 volt pixel nodes and my testing has the fan running as soon as a single strand of 50 nodes is connected with a very simple test pattern.

Seems to be a waist of energy to have the fan running so quickly with such little load.

I posted above, I have never heard or seen mine run either. 12v but I am new to pixels.

13 hours ago, steve synek said:

This might depend on the power supply you bought. I've got some power supplies that turn the fan on based on load instead of on temperature. Having the fan turn on based on load really isn't the way to do it, these were cheap power supplies I got from Amazon that I would never buy again. 

I suspect the Fan is making up for an undersized heat sink.  :(

Those fans usually are a fraction of an Amp anyway.