Light-O-Rama Forums

Too much in one case? heat issues?

brichi

It doesn't say in your profile where you live. You might get a different answer based on the climate of where you live

In that case if you're doing manly Christmas stuff you'll need ventilation but it won't be as critical as if you were in Florida. I live in Wisconsin and what I've described has worked for me and I think are climates might be similar as far as temperature but you might get more snowfall than we do. 

exactly, we get snow obviously but nothing too crazy plus where I'm mounting most if the boxes it should avoid getting covered

if we got like a foot where the boxes would be covered i would just kill the power for a night or 2 till it melted and i checked for water possibly getting in

One thing to know the way those power supplies are built they dissipate all their heat through the aluminum case on the outside and use the fan to draw the air through and around that case to keep it cool. So you generally want a little space between power supplies.

5 minutes ago, brichi said:

if you look close at their P&P 16 package you can see they just did slotted vents in the back

Yes, I see that however the PS covers a portion of it. I am guessing the use a portion of it to suck the cool air in, as your principal above. Being in a small box I can see that it would require a cooling source.

2 hours ago, brichi said:

Thanks guys, the Buddi have on a bigger box, it would be too big for the sides of the CG-1500 though.

TheDucks, which vent are you using?  I was going to mount the LOR weatherproof PS on the outside but its only 200W so i decided to keep it for the small window LED setup. 

option "B" in the first link may work, thanks  http://www.budind.com/view/NEMA+Box+Accessories/Air+_+Moisture+Vents

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008OJ7J62/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but it only works on the front or back :(

I have a 60mm fan that is perfect. I plan on using it as Exaust near the top

you might as well use the Bud for the money (it was under $8 when I bought it

I got the 300W Holiday Coro supplies (3@12V, 1@5V) during their salea few months back

Here's a link two photos of stuff in my show and amongst the photos are some pictures of controller boxes one of them is a bud industry with 4 400 watt power supplies another box has two 400 watt power supplies inside and 2 outside.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwDgEpqsgNhfVzhyVVJ1YnBRODA

Here is my Pre-test wiring setup. There is almost 1/2" play underneath the PS's and the pixie16 to allow airflow.

IMG_7511_zpsfdlzf2wv.jpg

IMG_7154_zpsmkkyfrfg.jpg

Silly question... But do the PSU fans suck in  or blow out?

Ya donna wana fight mother nature (heat rises)

Note in my first reply I accidentally hit the "2" for pixie 16's. Of course all can see uts only 1. No edit button as soon as it posted.

JR

1 minute ago, TheDucks said:

Silly question... But do the PSU fans suck in  or blow out?

Ya donna wana fight mother nature (heat rises)

That was my rational in installing a vent on both top and bottom of the door.

I have yet to see my fans come on. It doesn't mean they don't, I just don't sit around all day. Its in my garage and its cool in there. Every time I look its not running. I am assuming they blow out. The PS's have ventilation all around the bottom. They come on automatically due to operating temp.

I placed my vents dead center and splitting both of the fans.

Edited by dibblejr

are you saying i sit around all day? LOL  JK

I can easily get my fans to kick on, set all 6 trees to all white and the fans come on in 5 seconds

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brichi said:

are you saying i sit around all day? LOL  JK

I can easily get my fans to kick on, set all 6 trees to all white and the fans come on in 5 seconds

Are you going to sign up for the beta test? It was posted last week. Once I get my matrix wiring finished I am going to jump on it. They are looking for people to Beta Test the pixie16's

JR

The fans on the power supplies are usually orientated so that they blow air out of the hole on the top drawing air in all around the power supply case. 

I wanted to edit this and say because most of these are made in China I wouldn't assume this to be the case on all power supplies

Edited by Ebuechner

29 minutes ago, brichi said:

damn, i want to, i must have missed it, where did it post?