Light-O-Rama Forums

The color Pink

I have a sequence that is a snippet of the Pink Panther theme. I have played the sequence in years past using CCR's and dumb LED's both of those show the color pink.

I built 2 new props this year using Pixie16's and the 50 count strings and I cannot get the color pink to display on either prop. If I choose the same color (pink) as I did with the CCR's and the dumb LED's, they Pixies show an almost white color. If I choose a darker pink they show a greenish ting. I have lowered the intensity in Sequence Editor and it only changes the tint to green or blue.

I have tried sample sequences with Superstar, Sequence Editor, and Pixel Editor all give the same results.

I also have 4 CCP controllers with 7 strings of Color Cosmic Pixels, at the moment I don't have anything sequenced for them and they are in storage so I have not checked to see if they would display the color pink. This weekend I plan to do a quick sequence for the CCP's and test those.

I am not sure whether this is a "bulb" vs diode issue or something in the Pixies.

Any thoughts?

Alan...

Seems like I read or watched a tutorial concerning a few colors like that. However if I recall correctly they show up in the actual display properly. Just don't show up on previews properly.

Maybe Brian will chime in here.

• 3 weeks later...

An update to this. My original Pixie16 was sent to LOR for repairs and another was sent back. My original was set to RGB, and after testing the new Pixie16 in Hardware editor I found it was set to BRG. Maddening. The first clue was all the colors were way off, that got me to looking at the config setup in Hardware Editor.

All is good now.

Alan...

17 minutes ago, default said:

An update to this. My original Pixie16 was sent to LOR for repairs and another was sent back. My original was set to RGB, and after testing the new Pixie16 in Hardware editor I found it was set to BRG. Maddening. The first clue was all the colors were way off, that got me to looking at the config setup in Hardware Editor.

All is good now.

Alan...

Alan- What was wrong with your original? Also if I am reading this correctly your "pink" shows up as pink now?

Feel free to pm the answer if you don't want to post.

I have 2 16's, great to know what I may face.

Thanks

JR

From my experience, pink is hard to get looking good, but not impossible.  Because very subtle changes in levels will have substantial differences in the color it is imperative to see the actual lights.  I use the hardware utility where I can change levels by a single percentage while I'm out in the yard watching the actual lights.  Keep tweeking the levels until you get the color you want.  Then write it down somewhere for future reference.  Check for each type of lights - even different batches of the same lights may be subtly different.  Orange is another one that can be had to get right.

37 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Alan- What was wrong with your original? Also if I am reading this correctly your "pink" shows up as pink now?

Feel free to pm the answer if you don't want to post.

I have 2 16's, great to know what I may face.

The Pixie16 just stopped communicating one day. I went to show it off and it would not connect either thru a sequence or thru Hardware Editor. It had worked for weeks before. LOR repair could not determine what the issue was, other than it didn't work.  They sent me a new one.

LOR is a great company, and the turnaround was very quick so no complaints here. Stuff happens and they made it right.

Yes the color Pink is now pink. When it was set to BRG, if I picked the color Red I got Blue, Green was Red, Blue was Red.

I suspect that because Pink is a color comprised of other colors, and the "other" (BRG) colors were reversed (as in not RGB) it change the output color (pink) in my case to shades of green.

LOL, I have no idea if that will make sense, all I know is if I pick pink I get pink, or at least of color of pink I can live with. :)

Alan...

Yeah, I have no complaints with LOR the only problem I had was with the mp3 director when it was new and they sent a replacement within 2 days.

Mine 16's are V1 and one has been running non stop since Feb so that makes me feel better but only running off 4 strings now. Just awaiting to finish my matrix and then I will run 24X50 24/7 until Halloween.

Thanks for the update.

JR

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Just for future reference there is a chart if you want to manually input custom colors:

http://www.rapidtables.com/web/color/RGB_Color.htm

That's a good starting point, but it is quite likely that you will need to tweek a little once you see the actual light lit.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Had to bring this back up, i used the numerical values from SE and SS, 255-105-180, when i ran those numbers into my xlights for testing, the nodes were nowhere near pink. Xlights should not be different but pink does not come out pink, in fact none of the custom colors re correct.

7 hours ago, jerry72 said:

Had to bring this back up, i used the numerical values from SE and SS, 255-105-180, when i ran those numbers into my xlights for testing, the nodes were nowhere near pink. Xlights should not be different but pink does not come out pink, in fact none of the custom colors re correct.

XLights should not be any different than SuperStar or Sequence Editor with one possible MAJOR exception.  I know nothing about XLights, but my guess is that XLights is adjusting the values differently than SuperStar is.  Remember that SuperStar will (if you set it to - see Brian's post above) adjust the levels to make the colors on actual CCRs look the same as SuperStar does on your computer screen.  If you export SuperStar in Legacy format, you can see this correction in SE.  Assuming that XLights exports to LOR in a format that is readable in SE, take a look at the levels there.  I would guess that they are different.  Then take a look at the settings in XLights to see if that can be changed or disabled.  I do that in SuperStar.  I have SuperStar set to export without adjusting the levels because I have determined exactly what levels to run for certain colors, and can enter those levels into SuperStar and have it export it that way.  It make some things look odd on the screen, but I know what it will look like when exported.

I tired to get an answer over on the xlights forums, got nothing but flack. I am going to hoop up my Pi and tets with it and see what happens. I can make a short sequence and see what the colors do then.

On 9/20/2017 at 3:05 AM, jerry72 said:

I tired to get an answer over on the xlights forums, got nothing but flack.

was that from Gil? he can be a bit testy at times

There was some discussion on xLights forum/fb about the correction factor in SS and the difficulties trying to work out what the values were and how to readjust for them. I think things may only get worse as more LOR users use S5, as inference is it's going to be harder for xLights to convert LOR sequences then.

That said, getting colours in any program to match a physical item is always difficult, they should match what the chart @Mr. P posted, but there are several factors that can alter that. One being your computer monitor, which you can calibrate using a colorimeter if you want 100% accuracy and don't mind spending a few hundred dollars. Another one is the lights themselves, different batches/manufacturers can have slight variations.

As others have said, if you want lights to be a particular colour, set it in your program of choice then run the lights and tweak the colour in the program till the lights shine the colour you want.

I found orange hard to get right (wanted it for a halloween sequence), so I set a basic orange in program turned on lights, adjusted program till lights were the colour I liked, then wrote down the RGB and HSL numbers for future reference. :)

I am going to create a short sequence using nothing but pink, then convert it to a FSEQ file so i can play it off my pi and see what the color looks like. I am also going to try adjusting values on my PI in test mode and see what that does as well.

How can you use the settings in the table?  For Pink it says 255, 102, 255.  In SS you can only go as high as 100, so what good is this table?  Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, lanopie said:

How can you use the settings in the table?  For Pink it says 255, 102, 255.  In SS you can only go as high as 100, so what good is this table?  Am I missing something here?

Yea.  Percentage vs 8 bit binary.  Almost everything in the LOR world displays percentages.  The DMX world runs in 8 bit binary which gives 0 - 255.  Divide the numbers by 2.55 so you end up with 100, 40, 100

• Like 1

• The topic was locked