Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 16D

tbuff23

30 minutes ago, tbuff23 said:

JR,

Ok then that is where I am going wrong I am #ing all the channels myself not letting the computer do it for me. I will update the software to ver 4.3.18

tonight.

Thanks 16 days till I start to put up my lights and I am starting to panic my mega tree is the hart and soul of my display. 

What version software you on now? Normally if not 4.18 or later and you try to find your pixie16 in HU you will get "unknown device".

Were you able to see your device in HU with a version prior to 4.3.18?

I have assisted a couple people on the phone because they was getting the above error only to find they had 1- the .14 which was prior to the pixie16 release. Upgraded and they were able to find and setup their controller.

JR

sorry cant compress the screenshots enough so they are larger than whats allowed. I can PM or email them is someone wants to take a stab at how to fix my issue?

Here’s the trick for photos or screenshots. Upload then to the web someplace and post the link.  You can use things like Google Drive, Dropbox or a website you have access to (or even Facebook if you insist).  Just make sure the photo is viewable without having to log in to some account (not everyone will have an account for wherever you posted it).

just as a reference:

ORG:

Alan and fellow LOR's,

Question. How and where do you add the 4 Unit Id's for the Pixie4? I am running the latest version of software with a CTB16 and two Pixie 4's. I hardwired into each of the Pixies and gave them each 1 (not the same). Fast forward to the Props inside the PE. I am trying to run 8 total CCR's (4 for each pixie controller). I have a hundreds or errors because each there are 4 CCR's fighting over the same Unit ID for each of the controllers. How do I assign each CCR a different Unit ID? Better yet how would the PIXIE controllers know what CCR to drive (since the each CCR would have its own ID and all of the ID's are different than what I programmed into my two PIXIE controllers)?

I have included some SS of my issues with hopes of getting this running.

Full screenshot of errors (correlates to my above issues)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4isa3qrsnwgjpk/Warning list.JPG?dl=0

I downloaded your picture so I could use it to highlight these explanations.

Hardware%20Uty_preview.jpeg

Note 1 - This shows Hardware Utility has found all three of your controllers. I'm not sure how you are adding your controllers, but I have found it better to only hook up and setup one controller at a time. (You may have done this, this picture doesn't tell me the whole story)

Note 2 - This is where you would enter your starting Unit ID#. You say you have two Pixie 4's. Your 16PC-G3Ver1.09 controller only uses 1 Unit ID#. So that would mean that the first Pixie 4 you add would have a starting Unit ID# of at least 2. For this example let's use 2. Once the Unit ID# has been set to 2, the Hardware Editor will automatically create all the other Unit ID#'s for each string.
This means each string of lights on your Pixie 4 will have it's Unit ID# assigned to it. You do not have to do anything more with this Unit ID's on this Pixie 4. You will have to remember what your starting Unit ID # is, to be able to tell Sequence Editor, when you add it there. It would be wise to write the Unit ID #'s on the case with a sharpie.
String 1 will be Unit ID# 2
String 2 will be Unit ID# 3
String 3 will be Unit ID# 4
String 4 will be Unit ID# 5

To add your 2nd Pixie 4, do the same thing. Hook up this Pixie 4 (and nothing else) and set the Unit ID#. For this Pixie 4, you will have to add a Unit ID # of 6 (or more) we will use 6 for this example. The first Pixie 4 used 4 Unit ID's ending in Unit ID# 5. This Pixie 4 will also use 4 Unit ID#'s
String 1 will be Unit ID# 6
String 2 will be Unit ID# 7
String 3 will be Unit ID# 8
String 4 will be Unit ID# 9

The picture you quoted in your first post is all after the fact. One you get everything working, then make up something like this picture as a reminder of what you did this year. You will forget and it can be a pain trying to remember next year what you have set up this year, hence the quick and easy picture explaining your setup. As you setup grows this will become even more important.

When you say you are running the latest version of the Software using PE, I'd take that to mean you are using S4, not the beta version of S5?
If using S4 then here is a part of copy from the LOR Documenation for inserting Pixies into Sequence Editor

----- LOR Documentation found here -----

Pixie 2/4/8/16

The Pixie choice for the Insert Device dialog will add RGB Channels which are grouped appropriately to represent a Pixie device.  You should choose which Pixie device you are inserting (If it has 2, 4, 8 or 16 ports), as well as the network and the starting unit ID of the device, plus the number of pixels per port (either 50 or 100).  Each pixel will be represented as an RGB channel, and all pixels on a single port will be grouped together.

If the "Channel Mode" option is set to "Triples", then the circuit IDs will be 1 for the red channel of the first RGB channel, 2 for the green channel of the first RGB channel, 3 for the blue channel of the first RGB channel, 4 for the red channel of the second RGB channel, and so on.  If it is instead set to "Sequential", then they will instead be 1 for the red channel of the first RGB channel, 2 for the red channel of the second RGB channel, 3 for the red channel of the third RGB channel, and so on through all of the red channels, then through the green channels, then the blue channels.

The RGB channel names will default to "Pixel" followed by an indication of the base unit ID plus the pixel number; for example, "Pixel 03 p7" for the seventh pixel of the RGB device whose base unit ID is 03.

AddControlerPixie

Insert Device: Pixie Controller

------ End ------

You will also have to set network preferences, and make sure your license is Advanced or Pro to use the "Enhanced Network"

Hope this helps, any more questions, ask away. Also search the forums for Pixies

Alan...

Edited by default

2 hours ago, AC760 said:

just as a reference:

ORG:

Alan and fellow LOR's,

Question. How and where do you add the 4 Unit Id's for the Pixie4? I am running the latest version of software with a CTB16 and two Pixie 4's. I hardwired into each of the Pixies and gave them each 1 (not the same). Fast forward to the Props inside the PE. I am trying to run 8 total CCR's (4 for each pixie controller). I have a hundreds or errors because each there are 4 CCR's fighting over the same Unit ID for each of the controllers. How do I assign each CCR a different Unit ID? Better yet how would the PIXIE controllers know what CCR to drive (since the each CCR would have its own ID and all of the ID's are different than what I programmed into my two PIXIE controllers)?

I have included some SS of my issues with hopes of getting this running.

Full screenshot of errors (correlates to my above issues)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4isa3qrsnwgjpk/Warning list.JPG?dl=0

In the HU, only connect one device at a time. It looks like you have a 16 channel controller as unit 01.  A pixie4 as unit 02 and a pixie4 as unit 03.  

A pixie 4 uses 4 consecutive unit IDs. Connect one pixie4 controller to the HU and give it an ID number. If you assign it unit 02, it will automatically be assigned units 02, 03, 04 & 05.   You will not see the unit IDs  03, 04 or 05 by doing a refresh in HU, but they have been assigned to your controller.

You can not assign unit 03 to the second unit as that is being used by the first Pixie4.     At a minimum, the second pixie4 must be assigned unit 06, which will automatically assign units 06, 07, 08,  09 as the unit id's.   I can't help any wht the PE part of things, but this should give you a good start in understanding the overlap as I see it.

5 hours ago, dibblejr said:

What version software you on now? Normally if not 4.18 or later and you try to find your pixie16 in HU you will get "unknown device".

Were you able to see your device in HU with a version prior to 4.3.18?

I have assisted a couple people on the phone because they was getting the above error only to find they had 1- the .14 which was prior to the pixie16 release. Upgraded and they were able to find and setup their controller.

JR

JR,

I just up graded to 4.3.24 HU found the controller right off no more unknown device. I renumbered the channels in the sequences and let the controller do the rest.

It works fine right colors and all I appreciate all the help you are a life saver. 

AC760 's problem resolved

It was simple.

1) We went through HU to ensure everything set up correctly there and both pixies were configured properly

2) Went to SE and made him a Master Channel config using his 1 ac controller and 2 - pixie 4's

3) Went to vis and made a vis with all 8 unit ID's

4) Made a test seq fading for the entire length of his sequence

5) played the seq with the vis testing 1 unit ID at a time

6) Went to PE and reconfigured his prop unit ID's

7) connected the lights to his controllers - all worked

8) Connected his mini director and made SD card

9) Inserted SD card in mini director and his sequence played

Unit ID configuration with the pixies seem to stump the majority of people.

Great talking to a fellow soldier.

Best of luck and happy lighting for Christmas.

JR

9 minutes ago, tbuff23 said:

JR,

I just up graded to 4.3.24 HU found the controller right off no more unknown device. I renumbered the channels in the sequences and let the controller do the rest.

It works fine right colors and all I appreciate all the help you are a life saver. 

Anytime, you are welcome. 

JR

7 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

AC760 's problem resolved

Ok good, I did not see that posted. Glad it's all sorted out.

Alan...

• The topic was locked