Light-O-Rama Forums

Not exactly new but reminder to BACKUP.. ALL and Everyone...

Old Sarge

Backup.... Backup... Backup...

then Backup again before you come here crying about losing things because you had a computer crash...Zip it and E mail it to yourself or get a FREE drop box is a good way to go... then... Back up everything to include your music..

So many people have e mailed me asking again for my drop box and sequences saying they had a computer crash and they lost everything.... Backup...

• Like 1

It's ironic that you posted this right now.

April 1 is World Backup Day. (No joke!) 

If you *still* don't have a backup solution in place, and you don't want to pay for something, then look here:

https://www.cloudberrylab.com/offers/world-backup-day.aspx

Promo Code: WBDAY17 (Offer ends April 2.)

(This is from a product I use, and will NOT receive compensation for your free license.)

Yesterday I finally ordered a new NAS backup solution.   Synology      DS216J NAS DiskStation  $170.   Plus the drive. 

When its hooked up I am expecting it to detect changed files from my three PCs and back them up.   It will be in the basement so if someone burgles my office they wont find the backup server. 

3 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Yesterday I finally ordered a new NAS backup solution.   Synology      DS216J NAS DiskStation  $170.   Plus the drive. 

Let me know how you like it once it's all in service.

4 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

It will be in the basement so if someone burgles my office they wont find the backup server.

A home-brew server in the basement, eh?  I wonder where you got that idea?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, George Simmons said:

A home-brew server in the basement, eh?  I wonder where you got that idea?

Its April Fools day so I don't know what this means George.   Are you inspired by Al Gore? 

10 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Its April Fools day so I don't know what this means George.   Are you inspired by Al Gore? 

Al Gore - the inventor of the internet?  He's definitely inspired me in ways contrary to what he intended.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, George Simmons said:

Al Gore - the inventor of the internet?  He's definitely inspired me in ways contrary to what he intended.

:lol: (lol, sequencing credits)

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:12 AM, ItsMeBobO said:

I heard of a good HD cleaner;)

The backup occurs immediately after the file is saved.   There is a backup service running where you specify the folders to check for changes but you cant specify how often to check them. So far its working fine.   The synology software is highly non-intuitive because it uses a lot of different terms for the same thing.  It also told me I MUST setup folders before it could back up which I did.  However when it started the backup software created its own folders for which I could not change the name.   The folders it told me I had to create cant be removed, or I have not found how to yet.  Notice the software says Cloud Station Backup.  This is not cloud unless you consider home storage to be cloud.  There is a cloud component where the files backed up on the NAS are then uploaded to an actual cloud server but I have not configured that yet and it costs money.  Thats another thing that I dont like. The synology software is a constant nag to buy add on services.  It was not clear to me during setup if I was using the local device I just bought or remote cloud paid service.

• The topic was locked