Light-O-Rama Forums

Arches

Jeffery m

Today's question of the day instead of running 7 or 8 different extension cords to each sleeve of your arch could you not just run one cord and put seven or eight female in lines on it to connect all the sleeves

The reason I am asking is because I will have archers on opposite sides of my yard and I want them to tie into each other unless somebody knows where I can get some vampire plugs that you can stack on

You can use inline vampire plugs. If you look at the female vampire plugs most have an indented tab on the closed end that you can break off and make them inline plugs.

Running one cord to the other arch will mean the whole arch will light up at once. No chasing. If the first arch is multi channel then multi cords will need to go across to the other arch for similar functions. If this the case, no. You can't run one cord with multiple female plugs.

• Like 1

You'll discover - either sooner or later - that the best solution is buying another controller and put that one on the second arch. (This is a good time of year to scarf some good deals on experienced controllers.)  It's less everything - wire, vampire plugs, cost, aggravation...

Why not discover it sooner rather than later?  You'll be glad you did.

• Like 1

This is my first year doing an animated display and I already have 10 controllers unless somebody's got some used ones that are really cheap then I can't afford to buy anymore

18-9 cond cord is expensive (assumes you are using AC). You would also need to use care as to not overload the White (Neutral)

plan does not have a (Green dedicated to) Ground wire

If you are running DC (Low voltage) wire needs to get  bigger the further it runs. IMHO, not a good plan at 5V

I have zip cord going across my driveway for 8 mini trees, for 5 years now. No problems. I'm using LED strands for each so no big deal either.

2 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

Since the OP mentioned sleeves, I'm betting its AC using strands.

1 hour ago, Santas Helper said:

I have zip cord going across my driveway for 8 mini trees, for 5 years now. No problems. I'm using LED strands for each so no big deal either.

yep & yep

long distance runs of SPT don't phase LEDs...

2 hours ago, TheDucks said:

18-9 cond cord is expensive (assumes you are using AC). You would also need to use care as to not overload the White (Neutral)

as I've shared my thoughts before, sharing neutrals can be very bad... 8 runs of SPT zip cord way better plan -

4 hours ago, George Simmons said:

You'll discover - either sooner or later - that the best solution is buying another controller and put that one on the second arch. (This is a good time of year to scarf some good deals on experienced controllers.)  It's less everything - wire, vampire plugs, cost, aggravation...

Why not discover it sooner rather than later?  You'll be glad you did.

or setting another controller as a Master George pointed out

• Like 1

Sharing the neutral would not be an issue if one arch is coming from the same controller.  The issue comes when you use multiples of circuits to different. Controllers. The neutral carries the unbalanced load.  So in a residential setting you could use two circuits of different phases and be fine as long as your not on anything bigger than 20A breakers. 

FWIW this (Neutral) discussion is for North American type, Single phase (most home residential)   power systems. only.  The EU has a different Grounding style.

OK folks. Lets get back to the basics here. If your first arch is lets say 3 5 7 9 channels that would equate to  3 5 7 9 power chords. And  3 5 7 9 channels on your controller.

Notice all of my if it is what you are doing are in odd numbers. Best effect in m h o. I hate even numbers on arches. If you are saving channels and you want to mirror your arches you still will need to jump

from arch one to arch two with the same amount of channels (chords ) as the first arch to make it chase. If you desire full control of arch two you will need that many more channels from a controller.

George hit on this. He is correct, now is the time to get experienced  controllers. Hope this helps out. Just my 2 cents worth.

Hope it helps you out.

• Like 1

could the OP use RF if the issue is to reduce extension cords?  or does that only work controller to controller?  I know it isn't a money saving option but might reduce power cords (but add another level of complexity).