Light-O-Rama Forums

Mounting things to your house peak

caniac

I am wanting to mount my singing trees to my house peak.  They are wire frames from the infamous DougP so they should be Nebraska proof (not enough surface to catch the wind and end up in the next county).  Any suggestions? Pics?

There's just no way you can attach to your house Chet. Sorry. 

Solution - bring to the OKCmini and donate to me. They will fit my house perfectly. (I'll say something nice about you in my video credits at the end of each song)

I've watched a lot of your videos, but just can't tell your house material where you're wanting to hang them.  

My house is brick &/or stone all the way up. I use 1/4" brass drive in anchors. Pre-drill hole, hit with hammer to set, 1/4-20 machine thread, leave in year round. Blend in and as far as I know, nobody besides myself know that they are there. 

small Sandbags, on the base, even if you don't think wind will get them. There is enough surface area (includes lights)to move them (maybe not to your neighbor) and do damage to wires or LEDS.

Want to feel the drag. hold one out and turn around fast.

33 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

small Sandbags, on the base, even if you don't think wind will get them. There is enough surface area (includes lights)to move them (maybe not to your neighbor) and do damage to wires or LEDS.

Want to feel the drag. hold one out and turn around fast.

Glad you're talking to Chet. At my age and fluffiness, without the tree, not advisable to turn around fast. Just saying. 

I do agree with the drag. My method wasn't all the way to the peak. Just under. I meant using anchors top and bottom. I've had a 5ft Marty Fan mounted that way for years. 

31 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

Glad you're talking to Chet. At my age and fluffiness, without the tree, not advisable to turn around fast. Just saying. 

I do agree with the drag. My method wasn't all the way to the peak. Just under. I meant using anchors top and bottom. I've had a 5ft Marty Fan mounted that way for years. 

I don't do spin anymore. Inner ear went wonky and I had to stop flying my Hangglider. (how I know about drag) Now  I do LOR :)  instead

Edited by TheDucks
  • Like 1

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwDgEpqsgNhfRnliemsxQ19BQXc/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwDgEpqsgNhfZmowR0tmOVQyamM/view?usp=drivesdk

This is a platform I came up with that folds up for storage. All I need is a couple of sandbags and I'm good to go

Edited by Ebuechner
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

This is a platform I came up with that folds up for storage. All I need is a couple of sandbags and I'm good to go

Nice job.  

I haven't used the below myself, but I have been looking at them for future possibilities. 

https://www.christmaslightshow.com/Easy-Roof-Christmas-Decoration-Mounting-Ki.html?category_id=33

9 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

Nice job.  

I haven't used the below myself, but I have been looking at them for future possibilities. 

https://www.christmaslightshow.com/Easy-Roof-Christmas-Decoration-Mounting-Ki.html?category_id=33

Personally, I would be leery of anything that rested direct on the ridge  (composition) shingles. I've replaced mine that did not last as long as the rest. And that was just normal aging.

I would go with a straddle-saddle  like Ebuechner did.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Personally, I would be leery of anything that rested direct on the ridge  (composition) shingles. I've replaced mine that did not last as long as the rest. And that was just normal aging.

I would go with a straddle-saddle  like Ebuechner did.

I've been using that same platform for at least 8 years maybe 10 in the same place without any damage. It straddles over the top of the ridge vent and spreads The load out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

mine are like that but wire-frames but boy that definitely gives me several ideas.

8 minutes ago, caniac said:

mine are like that but wire-frames but boy that definitely gives me several ideas.

Chet- Here is how I mount my Santa, Sleigh and 6 Raindeer

I get 2X4's and use them just like runners on a sleigh. Placing one or however many it takes on both sides of the peaK. Remember the taller the object the wider spave you will want to use on both sides of the peak. You will have to use different size pieces of 2X4's to make your roof frame. Mine are blow molds and in total I think 20' long probably 4' tall. I have never had them blow off and here in AL it gets windy as well. Last year I couldn't do because of surgery but this year going back up.

I am sure you can do this with the wire molds. I have one visiting me at the mini! LOL My choir director. 6' tall singing light bulb

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, caniac said:

cool

I forgot to say how I secure to the 2X4's

Eye bolts, commercial HD zip ties, hog nose rings and or very small ratchet straps. Just a combination.

For my pvc framed singing faces, I use to hang them via several screws in the top pipe, into the siding. As my display exanped, goal was to install/uninstall the display quicker...no screwing in stuff every year.  Now I have a keyhole hanger in the top corners of each frane, that slips ov er screws that are left in the siding all year. About any frame with lights is going to be heavy enought to stay put with several attacment points  on the top trame.  I use a lot of these keyhole hangers and hanger bolts/wind nuts to hang much of my display. 

18 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I get 2X4's and use them just like runners on a sleigh. Placing one or however many it takes on both sides of the peaK. Remember the taller the object the wider spave you will want to use on both sides of the peak.

I do the same thing with my Deer on the roof.  The 2x4's are cut at the same angle as the peak and connected together with just a couple of 2.5"-3" screws and they rest over the peak.  No holes in the roof.  I screw flat brackets to the feet of the deer to cinch them down.

Deer Forums.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Little_b said:

I do the same thing with my Deer on the roof.  The 2x4's are cut at the same angle as the peak and connected together with just a couple of 2.5"-3" screws and they rest over the peak.  No holes in the roof.  I screw flat brackets to the feet of the deer to cinch them down.

Deer Forums.jpg

Yes, pretty close but I use quite a bit more length to the 2x4s and tie them all together adding more weight. Less to no chance of them being blown off. Its never happened to me.

Thanks for posting

Would have taken me all summer to find a picture.

JR

12 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Yes, pretty close but I use quite a bit more length to the 2x4s and tie them all together adding more weight. Less to no chance of them being blown off. Its never happened to me.

Thanks for posting

Would have taken me all summer to find a picture.

JR

I did it similar to this way back in the 90's with my blow mold Santa / reindeer. In OK, it's always windy. I added eyebolts to some of the 2x4s and ran guy wires down to secure under the eaves. Just didn't want Santa visiting the neighbors..

1 hour ago, Mega Arch said:

I added eyebolts to some of the 2x4s and ran guy wires down to secure under the eaves.

+1 When securing most items (standing props) on my roof in the past, I've done guy wires as well.

Mine are so heavy I figure if they get blown down I will have one heck of an insurance claim. LOL Id need at least 80' of guy wires to get the proper angle to the earth.