Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Facebook Page

dibblejr

5 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Maybe they actually have one now but the last I heard they didn't. Really doesn't matter to me as I have never had a Facebook account and never will.

The FB link is very obviously at the top of the forums page which seems at least partially sanctioned, semi decisive, maybe to some extent official.    ok  I admit  I looked there and on the LOR Website for a 'yes we know forums are down' message at least once.  

IsLORonFB_lol.jpg

When I posted that in 2016, we did not have a real Facebook page.  We did have something, but like today it is more of a place holder and pointer to our website.  The reason I posted that message was more to let people know that we are in no way affiliated with the LOR Facebook group.  That is a separate entity that we do not control or endorse.  

Much like our newsletter, we really only update the Facebook group when we have something to say :)  

The forum outage the other day was unplanned.  As soon as we were aware of the issue, we took the needed steps to get it back up and online - that only took a few minutes, so it didn't make sense to post something to FB.

If we do have a planned outage, we try to let you know ahead of time.  If you do notice something is down for a unusual period of time, go ahead and open a help desk ticket and make sure we are aware.  Please remember that most down time is transient and only lasts a few minutes.  If it has been a few hours, that is the time to let us know.

29 minutes ago, DevMike said:

The forum outage the other day was unplanned.  As soon as we were aware of the issue, we took the needed steps to get it back up and online - that only took a few minutes, so it didn't make sense to post something to FB.

I will assume that you simply did not that it was down.  Actual down time was almost 24 hours (confirmed on three separate computer all with different internet connections, plus my phone via both web page and Tapatalk).

30 minutes ago, DevMike said:

If it has been a few hours, that is the time to let us know

I'll remember that for future reference :)

32 minutes ago, DevMike said:

When I posted that in 2016, we did not have a real Facebook page.  We did have something, but like today it is more of a place holder and pointer to our website.  The reason I posted that message was more to let people know that we are in no way affiliated with the LOR Facebook group.  That is a separate entity that we do not control or endorse.  

I was only going off of the last info I knew about as I didn't want people going there thinking it was a sanctioned site and getting bogus info. Now that I know LOR has an actual page I will not hesitate to reference it for others even tho I won't use it.  :)

41 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I will assume that you simply did not that it was down.  Actual down time was almost 24 hours (confirmed on three separate computer all with different internet connections, plus my phone via both web page and Tapatalk).

1 hour ago, DevMike said:

Correct.  We didn't <embarrassed/> notice until the next day.  We try to let the forums run on auto pilot.

The forums are also hosted by a different provider than our website, which is different from our help desk software (if I am not mistaken), which is different from our store, which is different from... Well...  We have a lot of different servers :)

1 hour ago, DevMike said:

Correct.  We didn't <embarrassed/> notice until the next day.  We try to let the forums run on auto pilot.

The forums are also hosted by a different provider than our website, which is different from our help desk software (if I am not mistaken), which is different from our store, which is different from... Well...  We have a lot of different servers :)

Nothing to be embarrassed about, stuff happens.

I basically live on and off this forum (keeps me alive) no joke there. It was missed!

I had no phone (crashed and burned), no forum

But I did get 3 sequences done!

I need an intervention

JR

4 hours ago, Mr. P said:

I was only going off of the last info I knew about as I didn't want people going there thinking it was a sanctioned site and getting bogus info.

And what leads you to believe the advice I and MANY, MANY, MANY other long-time LOR veterans give there is bogus?

With all due respect, IMO, it's your statement that's bogus.

28 minutes ago, George Simmons said:

And what leads you to believe the advice I and MANY, MANY, MANY other long-time LOR veterans give there is bogus?

With all due respect, IMO, it's your statement that's bogus.

There are many sites out there that claim there are with particular companies and they aren't. All they are looking for is the traffic and recognition but they are not actually knowledgeable on the product or at least not up to date.

Nobody said anything about contributors to the site as I don't know who visits the site. So claiming that I am calling your advice on the site bogus is a little bit of an exageration. I mean if I thought your advice was bogus I have no problem telling you.

Edited by Mr. P

7 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

There are many sites out there that claim there are with particular companies and they aren't. All they are looking for is the traffic and recognition but they are not actually knowledgeable on the product or at least not up to date.

Nobody said anything about contributors to the site as I don't know who visits the site. So claiming that I am calling your advice on the site bogus is a little bit of an exageration. I mean if I thought your advice was bogus I have no problem telling you.

Actually, there are quite a few LOR-related groups on FB.  (I'm a member in half a dozen or so, as well as running a couple groups myself.)  I've not seen any that pretend to be anything more than a useful resource to newbies and veterans alike.

As to who contributes to the groups, all I need to say is if anyone here wonders what happened to Wm. Bottomley and a few dozen other well-known names within this hobby, that's where to look for them.  

As to who visits the groups/sites, I dare say I see tons more newbies there than here, and it's been that way for a few years now.  In my Sequence U classes, well over 90% of my "students" come from there as opposed to here.

Just saying...

• Like 1

• The topic was locked