Light-O-Rama Forums

Nothing playing in Visualizer?

Klayfish

I admit I'm a bit rusty, but I'm confused.  I'm working on reprogramming my songs in SE.  Have 48 channels, but just reprogramming the first 32...I programmed them back in 2011 or so and I was using incans, and was a total newbie.  I don't like them, so I'm refining it.  However, for some reason Visualizer has stopped working with SE.  It was working for a while, I don't recall making any changes to Visualizer or SE, unless I did it by accident.  I pull the Visualizer file up, hit "Play", then when I run SE, nothing.  Just a blank screen in Visualizer.  I have the box in SE for "control Visualizer" checked, still nothing.  What could I be missing?

Tried that, still nothing. I tried closing out all LOR stuff and reopening, nada.

Edited by Klayfish

Go to OPTIONS > TAB 6 and at the bottom of that dialog box look to see if Advanced Rendering Engine is checked.  If it is, uncheck it.

George,

Thanks.  I went into Visualizer and tab 6 and didn't see anything labeled "Advanced Rendering Engine".  I think I have a fairly old version of all the software, probably 3 years old (could be 4).  Could that be an issue?

1 hour ago, Klayfish said:

George,

Thanks.  I went into Visualizer and tab 6 and didn't see anything labeled "Advanced Rendering Engine".  I think I have a fairly old version of all the software, probably 3 years old (could be 4).  Could that be an issue?

Yes.  If I recall, the advanced rendering engine came out with S4 (early 2015), so if you're running three or four year old software, you would not have the advanced rendering engine.

I just confirmed from the Help file.  The Advanced Rendering Engine was released with 4.0.0.  That would explain why you don't see it.

Did you remember to put Visualization in simulation mode (the button that looks like a "Play" button on left end of the lower row of buttons)?

Yep.  I started doing my sequence revisions about two months ago.  Visualizer was working then.  But one day last week, nothing.  It's possible I changed a setting by accident, but I don't think I did.  Could it be a software issue?  Should I just reinstall LOR on the computer?

Before reinstalling or anything drastic, have you tried restarting your pc? Not turning off and back on, but an actual restart. 

In Visualizer, go to Options and on tab 6, verify the communications setting.  For normal people it should be Local which will show and IP address of 127.0.0.1.  If you are using Visualizer on one computer and SE on another (as I sometimes do) there is a different setup.

BTW, just since I sort of mentioned it, if you push the right magic buttons, you can get Visualizer to work anywhere in the world across the internet (I've done it).  Kinda cool to sit in my office and watch what is happening at home 26 miles away.

Also since you stated that you were changing things around and make sure that your controller and channel numbers  in SE matched the channel  and controller numbers in  The visualizer 

I was having the same issue, different version 4.3.18. I checked in SE under preferences > Visualizer Preferences that they matched, but then noticed in SE under Play an unchecked box Control Visualizer then it worked. It might have easily been unchecked or in my case not checked by default?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5 using Tapatalk.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 4:36 PM, Mega Arch said:

Before reinstalling or anything drastic, have you tried restarting your pc? Not turning off and back on, but an actual restart. 

The magical IT solution actually was the one that fixed it all.  I thought I had already done that, but apparently I hadn't.  I restarted the computer and all seems to be working now.  Sigh....

k6ccc, I didn't realize you could control Visualizer from another computer.  What would you typically use that feature for?  Would it be for getting an idea of what is playing at your house?  See, I'm stone age, even with Visualizer.  I presume a lot of you use a picture of your house as the background.  Frankly, I just have a black background screen with stick figure looking animations.  I do know how to use the tree wizard and have done that.  But basically, it's a lot of lines and cones on a black background.  But the "layout" is correct for how it goes on my lawn, so I get the idea (I don't have any lights on my actual house...wife doesn't want me putting staples, nails, etc...into the window frames or on the roof (and I can't get on our roof anyway).

1 hour ago, Klayfish said:

The magical IT solution actually was the one that fixed it all.  I thought I had already done that, but apparently I hadn't.  I restarted the computer and all seems to be working now.  Sigh....

Glad that fixed the problem. It's something like 24 days without a restart before the Visualizer doesn't like it. Seems like a longtime - but hey - can get us all. 

Klayfish, although the show player or Sequence Editor normally sends Visualizer commands, you can send them to any other IP address. If running a remote visualization, you also have to set Visualizer to look at it's network adapter rather hang local. Quite easy to do both. In my case, I usually hang out in my family room, but my show computer is in the garage. The audio cables from the show computer pass through a sound mixer next to the family room computer, and there are amplifier speakers on that mixer so I can hear the show in the family room. I set the show computer to send Visualizer commands to the IP of the family room computer. During show season, I set Visualizer on the Family room computer to look at it's network adapter. That way if I start Visualizer on the Family room computer, I see what is running in the yard. I can also sort of watch what is going on in the yard by looking at the security cameras monitor.
Just to try it out, one day I set the show computer to send Visualizer commands to the IP address of a router at work. I then set port forwarding in that router to point the Visualizer commands to a computer on my desk, and set Visualizer on that computer to look at it's network adapter. When I started Visualizer, I could watch my show at home 26 miles away. Of course I could not hear the show, so it was largely just to prove that it would work.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android