Light-O-Rama Forums

CCF 50w Cosmic Color Flood

Crimson Lane Lights Etown

I did such a nice job installing two CCF 50w above my garage doors, out of the weather, that I don't want to take them down.  Is that weird?  Tell me more about the standalone (stand alone) mode.  What can these lights be used for throughout the rest of the year?  I have them mounted in the center of the doorway pointing down or pointing toward the outside of the door to the ground.  I wired each light to an outlet in my garage ceiling that also plugs the garage door opener into it.  I can power on or off with the breaker easily.  I uploaded a 5 min animation sequence of all white into one CCF unit, 15 minutes later it was still on.  What did I miss?  I have the latest everything.  By the way, these are awesome bright lights and I highly recommend them.  Now if I can justify using them for other things all year, that would be super! 

22 hours ago, Crimson Lane Lights Etown said:

I did such a nice job installing two CCF 50w above my garage doors, out of the weather, that I don't want to take them down.  Is that weird?  Tell me more about the standalone (stand alone) mode.  What can these lights be used for throughout the rest of the year?  I have them mounted in the center of the doorway pointing down or pointing toward the outside of the door to the ground.  I wired each light to an outlet in my garage ceiling that also plugs the garage door opener into it.  I can power on or off with the breaker easily.  I uploaded a 5 min animation sequence of all white into one CCF unit, 15 minutes later it was still on.  What did I miss?  I have the latest everything.  By the way, these are awesome bright lights and I highly recommend them.  Now if I can justify using them for other things all year, that would be super! 

No, not weird. I use my CF50 floods year round. They light up my courtyard flagpole area.

Stand alone mode - This mode only has 2 options. 1 - use a trigger input - like a n/c pushbutton setup. or 2 - "run when power is on". This is why your 5 min sequence was still on 15 mins later. You selected run when on & the sequence keeps looping the 5 min program over and over. To use them as landscape lights, you really need to put them on a time-clock or a dusk-to-dawn photo cell (get an electronic light rated one - regular pc's shouldn't hurt your lights, but you'll replace the pc every year at a min.) Or you could get a motion detector to use them as security lights to light up anytime someone enters the driveway area - again - get an electronic light rated detector.

REALLY, REALLY A BAD HABIT FLIPPING BREAKERS. When you do have to flip one - move away from the front of the panel. Reach your arm over to the breaker. Grab the toggle handle. THEN LOOK AWAY BEFORE FLIPPING. I have too many electricians that have arc flash burns to face, or the face of people they've worked with, or even worse case - the freaking breaker blew up. Protect yourself  at all times - always safety first.

You won't need 2 timers, or switches, or photo cells. You can set one flood to stand alone and the other set as the normal LOR network configuration. Then cat5 between them. The stand alone one can run them both. So just need to control the on / off for that one flood. CAUTION - you WILL jack it up if you have it in stand alone and also try to send network commands to it. Make 100% sure you have them both configured the way you want - and of course - configured one at a time.

Ideas for year round - this Friday - all green all night.

Forth of July - cycle red, white & blue all night.

Halloween - shine on Murray..

Murray%20lit2_zpskky339mt.jpg

Murray%20lit_zpsmjwvnk4n.jpg

• Like 1

As a 26 year electrician here I always stand behind the panel cover and look the opposite way of the panel while operating a breaker. Breakers were not made to act as a switch. Well said mega arch.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sparky4u said:

As a 26 year electrician here I always stand behind the panel cover and look the opposite way of the panel while operating a breaker. Breakers were not made to act as a switch. Well said mega arch.  

Thanks.

I'm not an electrician, but have had a 36 year career of selling to you guys. The horror stories told to me are not just stories. They are real people getting hurt.

You be careful - every day. 

• Like 1

Or a rebuilt 3phase 440V contactor in my Radar set that blew up when power was applied. The only thing that saved my face, was the large breaker in front (that I had just operated).  Carbon tracks in the phenolic was the issue

43 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Or a rebuilt 3phase 440V contactor in my Radar set that blew up when power was applied. The only thing that saved my face, was the large breaker in front (that I had just operated).  Carbon tracks in the phenolic was the issue

The ultimate in breaker protection. ?

Glad you weren't hurt. Could have been bad. 

Great advice guys, thanks.  I would have never even thought of protecting myself at the breaker box.  I will keep the flood installed all year.  I will use the ideas above to justify continued operation.  Now I could I use a few more of them, too!  Come on summer sale!

I with on live circuits all the time including 277/480 volts. But nothing racks my nerves more than energizing a newly installed circuit.  

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I have been diy electrical work from simple fixture replacement to full house rewire, i always stand away from panels when they are energized. I have witnessed a dc2000 contactor for an attraction fail and shoot Sparks 40 ft across the room and scorch the brick wall. Not afraid of electricity but I do respect it.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I purchased two CCFs at the 2019 Mad Grab.  I finally got around to installing the mounting sleeves in the ground where I am using them this coming year.

I post hole dug 20 inches deep and hammered a 2" Sch40 PVC pipe into the hole.  Plum.  Then capped it with no glue and poured concrete in the hole around it. 

I will use an 1-1/2" PVC pipe as the mounting pole with a T at the top to secure the fixture.  It fits  in the 2" PVC with little space.

I will post pics as soon as they are done! 

Now I have to get the side of the house that is normally dark, power washed to get the full effect of the floods.  Exciting summer projects keep adding up!

4 hours ago, Crimson Lane Lights Etown said:

I purchased two CCFs at the 2019 Mad Grab.  I finally got around to installing the mounting sleeves in the ground where I am using them this coming year.

I post hole dug 20 inches deep and hammered a 2" Sch40 PVC pipe into the hole.  Plum.  Then capped it with no glue and poured concrete in the hole around it. 

I will use an 1-1/2" PVC pipe as the mounting pole with a T at the top to secure the fixture.  It fits  in the 2" PVC with little space.

I will post pics as soon as they are done! 

Now I have to get the side of the house that is normally dark, power washed to get the full effect of the floods.  Exciting summer projects keep adding up!

Keep in mind that some colors may look different on your home. Adjust where necessary.

The CF50’s are great. I have 8 now. Had 4 for two years. 

JR

• Like 1

On 3/17/2017 at 6:06 AM, Sparky4u said:

I with on live circuits all the time including 277/480 volts. But nothing racks my nerves more than energizing a newly installed circuit.  

Ain't that the truth.  I did a main panel replacement and a major re-wiring of my garage last year.  That first time energizing the new 100A subpanel from the main was nerve wracking!  At least I got rid of the old Zinsco main panel!

At work, most of the electrical I do is 48V DC - but at high current.  At this location there is 3,600 AH of battery with a short circuit current capability of at least 50,000 amps.  Don't get your wrist watch across that!

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Ain't that the truth.  I did a main panel replacement and a major re-wiring of my garage last year.  That first time energizing the new 100A subpanel from the main was nerve wracking!  At least I got rid of the old Zinsco main panel!

At work, most of the electrical I do is 48V DC - but at high current.  At this location there is 3,600 AH of battery with a short circuit current capability of at least 50,000 amps.  Don't get your wrist watch across that!

Had a 440V 3phase contactor blow up in front of me on my navy radar set. The only thing that saved my face from molten metal, was the 100A breaker was in front of it.  Ears rang for days.

• 3 months later...

Some nice weather allowed me to finish this installation.  Pictures attached.  2" PVC sleeve in concrete 18" long with cap.  1-1/2" PVC painted 'T'.  Flood bolted on 'T'.  Power supply screwed on vertical. 

IMG_1771a.jpg

IMG_1769a.jpg

12 minutes ago, Crimson Lane Lights Etown said:

Some nice weather allowed me to finish this installation.  Pictures attached.  2" PVC sleeve in concrete 18" long with cap.  1-1/2" PVC painted 'T'.  Flood bolted on 'T'.  Power supply screwed on vertical. 

IMG_1771a.jpg

Don't forget to grab your Craftsman screwdriver that is stuck in the ground :)

Nice install.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/20/2019 at 11:18 AM, Crimson Lane Lights Etown said:

Some nice weather allowed me to finish this installation...…..

IMG_1769a.jpg

Really nice install idea.

I love these floodlights too. Just a little tip/thought to complete the job. The only failure I've had was when water got into the cat5 connectors. The floods were doing some crazy things - like a mind of their own. Anyway, replaced the connectors and all was well again. I did, and strongly suggest you do too, dabbed some clear silicone on the connector ends and tie-wrap or screw them to your vertical pipe. And while you have the silicone out, a few dabs on the top end of the power supply and power supply connectors too. After doing all this - I've had several years of zero problems - well, at least zero with my floods...

And I'm with Jim - consider this is your second reminder on your screwdriver …….

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

How do you program the CCF for your shows Superstart or Sequence Editor? I can't find much info on doing this. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks,

Kevin

9 minutes ago, kcurryb7 said:

How do you program the CCF for your shows Superstart or Sequence Editor? I can't find much info on doing this. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks,

Kevin

You can do the CCF50 in Sequencer as it is only three channels. Just add an RGB channel.

Edited by Mr. P

I find it easier to sequence mine in SE however as a normal light, not RGB. (I have my reasons). And then I go down to my rgb floods and copy paste and add the colors as I go. I use my floods as the bass beats.

JR

I sequence everything SE also.  I don't have superstar.  When I added it as a device it added the 3 RGB channels and 2 strobe channels.  I use the color fade tool if I am not happy with the basic RGB colors or the combo of those which are like yellow, turquoise, purple.  Also, the unit ID's are shared, not individual, so I don't copy and paste these. 

• The topic was locked