Light-O-Rama Forums

Tesla Model 3 Easter Egg.

PhilMassey

Just now, dibblejr said:

That's pretty cool, could make a nice Halloween prop. Its an expensive prop though.

JR

Imagine replicating this in a non-Tesla car - I've been thinking about this and what modifications could be necessary to do this.

1 minute ago, lightingnewb said:

Imagine replicating this in a non-Tesla car - I've been thinking about this and what modifications could be necessary to do this.

There are companies selling RGB stuff for cars and trucks. I wonder what the owner above had to do.

I thought the rear doors looked more like it was flying until he mentioned the "ears" then I could see that as well.

JR

Nothing to do with the owner, Its a Tesla Easter egg, hidden in the software.All the cars of this model have it.

10 hours ago, dibblejr said:

There are companies selling RGB stuff for cars and trucks. I wonder what the owner above had to do.

I thought the rear doors looked more like it was flying until he mentioned the "ears" then I could see that as well.

JR

10 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

Nothing to do with the owner, Its a Tesla Easter egg, hidden in the software.All the cars of this model have it.

Phil is correct - it's an Easter Egg. What I want to do is somehow re-create this Easter egg by using the computer of a non-Tesla car. I wonder what components I would need...

3 minutes ago, lightingnewb said:

Phil is correct - it's an Easter Egg. What I want to do is somehow re-create this Easter egg by using the computer of a non-Tesla car. I wonder what components I would need...

I'm not up on Teslas, I figured it was a mod! LOL

I will stick to my paid off Tundra, I prefer mud. But it is pretty cool.

JR

• Like 1

Pretty cool!!! If only we were getting a Model X instead of a Model S!!! . . . I just can't stand the way the Model X's look. Oh well, to each their own!!

Matt, I also prefer the look of the S, but out of my budget.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

On 3/18/2017 at 9:59 AM, k6ccc said:

Matt, I also prefer the look of the S, but out of my budget....

We have each been making a car payment to ourselves every month for several years now, and thankfully that has allowed us to settle on the Model S. (And a different new car for me too) Had it not been for my partner being very persistent on saving (and us giving up a lot of "fun stuff" in life for a while) I don't think the Model S would be in our budget either. . .

I don't think I'll ever be able to look at a pack of instant Ramen again without getting PTSD to the years of saving! :lol:

• Like 1

I have a 3 on order (probably around position 150,000-ish), but I'm not sure if I will go through with it or not.  Loosing the 5K rebate from the Govt already pushes me on the side of no, and depending on the cost of the options that may push me completely over the edge.

I only drive around 6K miles per year.  Even when you factor in the cost of gas plus a high-end standard to low-end luxury vehicle, the 3 does not look as competitive right now.   I just purchased a new 2017 Camry XSE with all the big options except telemetry, which is what I would consider a high-end standard vehicle.  The Sticker was 34.3K After some intense negotiation I paid 26.5K out the door.  At 35K, the Model 3 will have to come base with all the features my current car has - and I doubt they are going to negotiate :)

really want the car, but from a best-bang-for-the-buck stance it may not happen :(.

49 minutes ago, DevMike said:

I have a 3 on order (probably around position 150,000-ish), but I'm not sure if I will go through with it or not.  Loosing the 5K rebate from the Govt already pushes me on the side of no, and depending on the cost of the options that may push me completely over the edge.

I only drive around 6K miles per year.  Even when you factor in the cost of gas plus a high-end standard to low-end luxury vehicle, the 3 does not look as competitive right now.   I just purchased a new 2017 Camry XSE with all the big options except telemetry, which is what I would consider a high-end standard vehicle.  The Sticker was 34.3K After some intense negotiation I paid 26.5K out the door.  At 35K, the Model 3 will have to come base with all the features my current car has - and I doubt they are going to negotiate :)

really want the car, but from a best-bang-for-the-buck stance it may not happen :(.

Its nice not to have a car payment. Well at least for a month. Paid off the wifes car (our 4th) last year. A month later a undocumented, unlicensed, stolen tag guy blew a red light and totaled our Acura TL and you know you never get the 100% value.

Luckily it happened in front of a patrol car. The Acura was so nicely mfgd that we did not feel a thing. The guy took off on foot and I persued until the officers told me to stop. They were friends of mine. They collected him up but they could not arrest due to dream act. Of course he did not show up for court and my insurance had to pay up.

Now we have another car payment :(

I actually considered pre ordering a Tesla but I reconsidered. I couldn't imagine having 3 on order.

JR

On 3/25/2017 at 2:09 AM, DevMike said:

I have a 3 on order

Ha Ha. I first read that as 

I have 3 on order

(missed the a Then thought "LOR must be making huge profits if Mike can afford to buy three Teslas."

LOL :)

"should have gone to Specsavers"

On 3/24/2017 at 9:03 AM, dibblejr said:

Its nice not to have a car payment. Well at least for a month. Paid off the wifes car (our 4th) last year. A month later a undocumented, unlicensed, stolen tag guy blew a red light and totaled our Acura TL and you know you never get the 100% value.

Luckily it happened in front of a patrol car. The Acura was so nicely mfgd that we did not feel a thing. The guy took off on foot and I persued until the officers told me to stop. They were friends of mine. They collected him up but they could not arrest due to dream act. Of course he did not show up for court and my insurance had to pay up.

Now we have another car payment :(

I actually considered pre ordering a Tesla but I reconsidered. I couldn't imagine having 3 on order.

JR

I initially read it as that :o

Then I remembered there was going to be a  model priced closer to Earth.

• 1 year later...
On 3/13/2017 at 10:24 AM, dibblejr said:

JR

I know this is an old thread, but I just saw it.  So Jim if you are asking about the video, the Tesla owner didn't need to do anything special.   It Christmas egg is a selection from the center console.  It is in all of the cars.  I remember getting that update on my model  X around February 2017.    And although the thread indicates a model 3, I guess it is clear that the car in the video is actually a model X.  And I guess "ears" refers to the mirrors folding in and out.

Edit added:  and to get the front doors to open like that, you have to buy the option that allows the doors to automatically open as you approach the car.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

Hey, another reboot!

Just to fill you in on what I ended up doing.  My Model 3 (so you already know I bought it) was delivered in July last year, just before Expo.  Her name is Ginger :)

In the end, I didn't get the base model, I ended up splurging for the Long Range RWD with everything I could put on it.  $61K, but with the gov money it was $53.5K.  It took a lot of courage to write that check.    To put it into perspective, that is twice the price of any other new car I have purchased, and 50% of the cost of my house.  For about 15 years I had been saving to buy a small plane, but after loosing my medical I had to spend that money on something.

6 months later, the car has about 2,700 miles on it.  Like I said, I do NOT drive much.  

As for the car?  I love it.  It is hands down the fastest accelerating car I have ever driven (and I used to own a Mustang).   I hit the pedal, it puts me into my seat, and I giggle.  Every time.  I can only imagine the giggles if I had purchased the performance version :P.  The car definitely handles like a sportier car.  With all the weight low and centered behind the wheels, it's stable in corners.  With regeneration turned on, you rarely touch the brake pedal - take your foot off the accelerator and the motor turns into a generator feeding charge back into the battery and slowing you down.  When you get more experience with the car, you can slow down just like if you were using a brake in a standard car.  At around 5 MPH, you finally press on the brake pedal.  Tesla states that the original brakes on the car should last a lifetime (and for me it should be true since even on a regular car I would get 60-70k on a set of pads).

The car looks great.  I actually like the way the back of the car looks more than the front. It does get some looks from other people once they realize it's a Tesla.   I may end up installing new springs on the car to give it a lower stance.  It's the only thing I think could be better - but then again this is the first car that I care enough about to even THINK of modifying it!

The interior is comfortable.  The seats are excellent - they hug you just enough to give your back good support, but are not so narrow (or wide) that you don't fit in them.  At first look, the dashboard is off-puting to some since it is so radically different to what they are used to.  Once you sit in the car, you see the advantage - the low and very shallow dash allows for a much bigger window.  Since there is no engine in the front, the hood just drops off - this makes for EXCELLENT outside visibility.   Coupled with the all glass roof, the effect is that you feel like you are not even sitting in a car.  

The center mount screen is excellent.  I wasn't sure I was going to like looking to the side to see my speed, but after about 5 minutes, I adjusted.  Frankly I have to drive the car on at least cruise control 90% of the time - it's so quiet that it is hard to judge your speed.  

Autopilot is awesome as well and I use it frequently.  Most of the driving I do is rural, but there are times when I have to go to the big city.  This is where autopilot REALLY pays off.  Getting stuck in stop-and-go traffic on the interstate or expressway is no longer stressful:  Doubleclick the lever, hear the reassuring bing-bong, sit back.  When the traffic moves, you move. 

Charging is a breeze.  The car comes with a mobile charger which is what I use at home.  With 240V 40A outlet it charges the car at 31 miles/hr.  I installed a 14-50 (dryer) outlet in my garage.  My panel is also in the garage so it was about a 15 minute job:  buy a pre-wired whip (sized to handle 60A in case I want to upgrade later), a double 40A breaker, and an outlet.  A few wires later and you are done.   If you want to charge even faster, you can purchase and hard-wire a charger which would add 45 miles/hr.

While that does sound a little slow remember two things:  The range (the size of the 'tank' so to speak) is 320 miles.  The car when not in use is always plugged in.  So you come home from a day of driving, plug it in, and next morning when you wake up the car is charged ready to go.

As for charging cost, it's cheap.  On average, the car consumes 250 Wh/MI.  To make that easier to understand:  Every 1 KWh (that's the unit your electric company bills you in) allows me to drive 4 miles.  A KWh costs me $.084.  So 4 miles of driving is less than NINE cents.  Other ways to visualize that number:

My Camry got approximately 30 miles/gallon.  Lets assume that gas is $2/gallon.  So that means if I drove 30 miles it cost me $2.00.  In this car, 30 miles costs me $.63.

Assume  a gallon of gas costs $2.  For $2 I can drive 95 miles.  So right now my car gets 95 miles/gallon equivalent.  When the price of gas goes up, my MPe goes up:  At $3.00 a gallon,  my car gets almost 143 MPe!  Brian's (Mr. Superstar) MPe is actually INFINITE!  Brian has both a Model 3 and a Model S.  His electric company offers Time-Of-Day billing and the rate overnight is FREE!  He sets his cars to charge during the free times.  Lucky so in so! :P

If you go on a road trip, you can 'supercharge' - something I have never had to do (well, I did it once to see what it was like for about 2 minutes, but that is it).  So if/when we go to expo this year, I'll drive over.  That will be about 300 miles round trip so I'll have to charge.  Many hotels have chargers, so if the one I get does I'll use that overnight.  Otherwise, a quick stop over at the Daytona supercharger is what I'll do.  I figure I'll need about 1/2 charge (150 miles).  Should take about 30 mins and cost somewhere around $8.  A full charge would be just over 1 hour (but why?  I only need a few miles to drive around town).

That is one of the drawbacks of road trips, but I want you to remember 2 things:   I haven't been to a gas station in 7 months now.  Filling a tank takes 10 mins, so I've already saved 1 hour of my life.  Lets take the 1 hour charge time and put it in perspective.  The car has 320 miles of range.  if you are doing mostly interstate driving on a road trip (and you would be), that means you have about 5 hours of driving time before you have to stop and charge for an hour.  Guess what else needs to happen during that time?  You need to go to the bathroom!  You need to eat!  You put the car up on the charger, go have something to fill your belly and a rest-room pit-stop.  You come back and the car is charged and ready to go.  

Oh yea.  The Car also has a built in Fireplace.  Bet yours doesn't.  

(I know..  Christmas lights, not cars :P )

37 minutes ago, DevMike said:

Hey, another reboot!

It took a lot of money to write that check.    

Fixed it for you.

Seriously though they are nice cars but I am truck guy. Though I have my 2011 Dodge Charger Mopar edition. 1500 made

With 2 little boys I barely drive the Dodge.

Actually working on Halloween once I recover.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

DevMike, WOW, that is one heck of a review!  I identify with everything you stated from driving my model X.   The only thing where my experience is different is that it isn't a problem for me to take 30 minutes to charge the car after about every 3 1/2 hours on the road because I need that break time to rest, walk a little, use the bathroom, eat, etc.  I find that I reach my destination more rested than when I used to drive hundreds of miles on a trip and only stop long enough to gas up.  Maybe part of being more relaxed is using the autopilot, not sure, but it does help me a lot.

Yea, that fireplace thing is an interesting Elon addition.  It gets a few laughs.

Bottom line is that after 3 years with the car, I never want to drive another car other than a Tesla ever again.  your mileage will vary.😀

AND to add, LOR is the same way.  Once you try it, you never want to ever use another program to control your lights.   It's Tesla good 🙂

Edited by Richard Hamilton

3 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

The only thing where my experience is different is that it isn't a problem for me to take 30 minutes to charge the car after about every 3 1/2 hours on the road because I need that break time to rest, walk a little, use the bathroom, eat, etc.  I find that I reach my destination more rested than when I used to drive hundreds of miles on a trip and only stop long enough to gas up.  Maybe part of being more relaxed is using the autopilot, not sure, but it does help me a lot.

Exactly my point.  I'm not in the "Elon is God" group, but I do like the idea he floated where superchargers become a destination unto themselves:  A place to charge, with a restaurant, bathrooms, etc - just like a service plaza on the interstate - but with electrons instead of gas.  

Even in a gas car you are going to need to stop and fuel yourself up.  The car needs the same :D

56 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

but I am truck guy. Though I have my 2011 Dodge Charger Mopar edition.

Drive what makes you happy and fills that need.  I won't ever say this car is for everyone.  There are far too many people out there who try to ram Tesla's down people's throat. I Not me.  I'm not a gear head, I'm just a regular Joe when it comes to cars... But I will say this is the perfect car for me.