Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequence / Tip Sharing Web Site

whitebuck

One other thing to note is that people tend to steal and re-purpose these sequences or re-sell them on Ebay or other sites. It's frustrating to deal with. Therefore, I only share sequences as a trade, or with someone I know that will give my sequence "justice." (Meaning they'll respect that I (a) want credit for the sequence and (b) would like a plug to my site if they use my sequence and video it for their website.

I don't need to deal with people abusing the hours and hours of work I spent perfecting the sequence.

• Like 1

I understand every concern. Thanks for the input. Haven't decided if this will get further pursued or not at this point. Depend on my time and planning. Definitely see a wide range of opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, lightingnewb said:

One other thing to note is that people tend to steal and re-purpose these sequences or re-sell them on Ebay or other sites. It's frustrating to deal with. Therefore, I only share sequences as a trade, or with someone I know that will give my sequence "justice." (Meaning they'll respect that I (a) want credit for the sequence and (b) would like a plug to my site if they use my sequence and video it for their website.

I don't need to deal with people abusing the hours and hours of work I spent perfecting the sequence.

You got that right!

It makes it hard to give an "unprotected sequence" as "free". However IMHO a protected sequence especially my singing face sequences are useless to those that want to be able to sequence to their lighting.

I do check Ebay, and other sites weekly and will report anyone selling my sequences. Forum replies travel fast as well.

How anyone can sit back and take pride in someone else's work and think nobody will know, beyond me. I do have a characteristic within my sequences.

It's stealing in my opinion and makes it likely that people will eventually stop sharing altogether.

JR

• Like 1

I guess I would structure things in a way that the sequence owner could post a link. I don't know how I could guarantee the song was correct and licensed. I guess that would be a challenge. Good points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can have the link for downloading the sequence followed by the link to obtain the correct audio file from mp3millions.com, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, dibblejr said:

It's stealing in my opinion and makes it likely that people will eventually stop sharing altogether.

You've got that one right. 

My "eventually" came in 2010 when I just happened to see one of my sequences for sale on Ebray with a link to my video.  Then just a few days later, some fool (who's still a member here) ragged me up one side and down the other for not including the audio file for free also.  That was the day I said goodbye to all that BS and I've never regretted it for even a second. 

I still get requests (seems like every week) and unless it's from someone I've known for years they get a response with a link to where that particular sequence can be purchased.  Usually, that's the last I hear from them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George Simmons said:

I still get requests (seems like every week) and unless it's from someone I've known for years they get a response with a link to where that particular sequence can be purchased.  Usually, that's the last I hear from them.

I can totally understand the frustration but such a closed minded response to someone just trying to get a little bit of help when they are new and look to you and the others that have been around a while is probably why they don't contact you any more.  I've never communicated with you but I'm here to do what I can to help push the technology and knowledge forward to others.  I try to give twice as much as I get.  But, then again, I haven't gotten burned like you.

2 hours ago, BluMan said:

I can totally understand the frustration but such a closed minded response to someone just trying to get a little bit of help when they are new and look to you and the others that have been around a while is probably why they don't contact you any more.  I've never communicated with you but I'm here to do what I can to help push the technology and knowledge forward to others.  I try to give twice as much as I get.  But, then again, I haven't gotten burned like you.

A lot of us have been burned. With each time it gets more difficult to share, but I continue.

JR

And your sharing, for me at least, is extremely appreciated.  I'd be so lost if it wasn't for the kind people like you.  Sorry you got burned.  I will never burn anyone.  I don't believe in it.

18 hours ago, BluMan said:

Closed minded?  That's a good one... 

In lieu of context, perspective, and experience it might well seem that way to you.  In reality, however, there's not very many people who've spent more time and effort helping newbies over the past decade than have I.  There's few things I enjoy more than seeing the light come on when someone suddenly discovers this isn't as hard, as intimidating, or as complicated as they feared.  Whether in this forum, in a number of Facebook groups, by PM's or emails, by phone, by TeamViewer, or in person I've never turned away a single individual who genuinely needed help and/or wanted to learn.

Having said that, I openly admit that I've reached the point of thoroughly detesting the gimme, gimme, gimme entitlement faction of our world in general and this hobby in particular.  Most of us "old timers" can tell immediately from the tone of a person's first post, which category they fall into.  (Hint: the use of or lack of please and thank you is usually an easy and totally accurate tell.)  For those people to decide not to contact me is a blessing. 

• Like 2

Thanks!  That definitely helps me know where your coming from and I can see that after a while you can get tired of the same people constantly asking for help.  The light is coming on for sure..it might not be as bright as it will be but at least it's turning on. ha!  Thanks for your insight.

While producing custom singing face sequences for people for free I have only asked two favors in return. First test in and let me know what you think about it and secondly DO Not Sell or share it. If someone wants it they can ask me, after all they are posted publicly in my "Now Accepting Singing Face Request" thread.

I have done 80 requests since Feb and less than 10% have told me what they think and another 10-20 % ask for the mp3 which I do not share. I ensure all music info is within the sequence and also inform everyone where I get my MP3's for 5-12 cents each. If they cant afford 5-12 cents they have the wrong hobby.

And at least 2 times one of mine was listed for sale. I do this as a hobby and do not want to feel its a job. When it feels like a job its time for me to quit because I promised myself what I enlisted in the USMC at 17 that if I do at least 20 once I retire I am retired for good. 9 years ago I retired, other than taking care of my boys, I sequence the faces.

JR

2 hours ago, George Simmons said:

Having said that, I openly admit that I've reached the point of thoroughly detesting the gimme, gimme, gimme entitlement faction of our world in general and this hobby in particular.  Most of us "old timers" can tell immediately from the tone of a person's first post, which category they fall into.  (Hint: the use of or lack of please and thank you is usually an easy and totally accurate tell.) 

Amen to that. +1.

With 11 years in this hobby and helping many folks, the approach and a show of appreciation goes a long ways.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BluMan said:

Thanks!  That definitely helps me know where your coming from and I can see that after a while you can get tired of the same people constantly asking for help.  The light is coming on for sure..it might not be as bright as it will be but at least it's turning on. ha!  Thanks for your insight.

It's not the people asking for help that I take exception to.  A person asking for help is obviously interested in learning and improving their skills.  I totally respect that.

3 hours ago, dibblejr said:

... and less than 10% have told me what they think and another 10-20 % ask for the mp3 which I do not share.

I found it disappointing how few people even bother to say thanks for free sequences and stuff.  Sharon told me to either quit complaining or quit sharing.  I chose option 2.

3 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

Amen to that. +1.

With 11 years in this hobby and helping many folks, the approach and a show of appreciation goes a long ways.

And you're one of those few I mentioned who unhesitatingly go above and beyond to help folks.

I don't always realize just how long in the tooth you are. :D

• Like 2

George, Santa, you both have been a tremendous help in helping me get started. Thank you for all that you do for this community.

I hope I've become a little more helpful like you two have. I've learned a lot from just participating in the thread. I have offered in the past to those who contact me by email, but my main source of assistance has been in design and setup, not quite in the sequencing. (Which is totally fine, I'm not the best when it comes to sequencing tactics.) I hope to one day spread this knowledge for others. ( I might open a more in-depth part of my website up where I go into much larger detail of how to build my show's pieces. )

Thanks again for everything, you two!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, james morris said:

I will always share all that I have made this is payback for all that help me

Yes, my great friend. Everyone should be glad to have access to your sequences. It is a lot of hard work.

This is what the spirit of the holidays and LOR is all about. Helping each other through telephone, skype, chat, pm's, emails and in person.

I have made several great friends along the way. Even took one to the OKC mini, though we never met I shared a sequence with Don and from their we became friends and had a blast at Santas Helpers mini (Tom) and Mega Arch (Dan) , thanks for the invite.

Great drive and great people.

JR

• Like 1

You guys are great. Some of you have indeed helped me and I know others will in the future. I have certain areas I can be of help but lack in other areas, which you/others make up for. As a group, we all make a team complete. We depend on each other to be better at what we do. Nobody knows everything.

It's not required but should be said...

Thank you!!!!

• Like 2

First things first, in case I forgot to thank someone out there, thank you very much for the help in trouble shooting and sequencing that you have shared with me in the past. You have no ideal how much it has heled me with my display. Heck if it weren't for you guy's I'd be starring at 30,000 lights blinking to jingle bells from a controller I bought at Home Depot. Also a big thanks to all of you that helped but didn't know that you have. Many of my questions have been solved just by reading the hundreds of posts on this forum that many of you vets. of this ( crazy, sickness, obsession, insanity ) hobby  have commented on. I still consider myself very new to this ( insert word ) hobby and just when I think I'm getting a handle on it, and I have my display set up the way I want, I go do something crazy and double the size of my current display ( thanks Old Sarge  )lol. On top of that I have this new fascination with RGB ( which in turn, will bring out a whole new set of questions ). Oh course this led to a license upgrade to pro and the activation of Super Star ( when will it end ). I know this was a little long winded but I just wanted to let you guy's know how much your appreciated and thanks again for all your help. You guy's are the BEST.

P.S. Is there a Super Star manual for dummies out there, can't seem to grasp the connection between SE and SS.

12 minutes ago, Bigfrog 59 said:

First things first, in case I forgot to thank someone out there, thank you very much for the help in trouble shooting and sequencing that you have shared with me in the past. You have no ideal how much it has heled me with my display. Heck if it weren't for you guy's I'd be starring at 30,000 lights blinking to jingle bells from a controller I bought at Home Depot. Also a big thanks to all of you that helped but didn't know that you have. Many of my questions have been solved just by reading the hundreds of posts on this forum that many of you vets. of this ( crazy, sickness, obsession, insanity ) hobby  have commented on. I still consider myself very new to this ( insert word ) hobby and just when I think I'm getting a handle on it, and I have my display set up the way I want, I go do something crazy and double the size of my current display ( thanks Old Sarge  )lol. On top of that I have this new fascination with RGB ( which in turn, will bring out a whole new set of questions ). Oh course this led to a license upgrade to pro and the activation of Super Star ( when will it end ). I know this was a little long winded but I just wanted to let you guy's know how much your appreciated and thanks again for all your help. You guy's are the BEST.

P.S. Is there a Super Star manual for dummies out there, can't seem to grasp the connection between SE and SS.

I'm just glad you kept your pixels.

I can tell you how to add pics and animated pics to a matrix in SS but that's all I have played with. I did a step by step if you want it. It will work for the tree as well, you'd just have to change some things around in your setup.

JR