Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequence / Tip Sharing Web Site

whitebuck

So I have been playing around with the idea of a sequence sharing web site to facilitate the sharing of sequencing, sequencing methods, etc.....   I am not sure how popular this would be or if anyone would find it useful, so I am interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on what they would like to see and what might be useful.  Please let me know if you think its a good idea, bad idea, or what you would like to see.

Ideas:

Free Sharing

Paid Sharing / Goes to Charity

How-tos by members

Member Profiles/Showcases

Members Only by Registration

Paid Registration with fees to Charity

Ads / No Ads - to cover expenses with surplus to charity.

If you don't want to share with everyone, PMs welcome.

Please note, not looking for income, just spreading the knowledge to enhance our hobby.

You could start a thread in the "Sequence Sharing" section here instead of paying website hosting fees and if someone wants to donate for your  sequences they could use paypal or some other method.

I am not sure how LOR Admins would feel, that would be something youd have to discuss.

As far as my sequences they will always be free.

If you set up a charity lwt me know I will donate to a good cause.

A lot of the members take donations at their light shows for charity, perhaps that is something to take a look at.

JR

Thank You! I don't want my thought to be taken wrong. I am more interested in the idea of facilitating the how to and sharing the creativity that I see from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, whitebuck said:

Thank You! I don't want my thought to be taken wrong. I am more interested in the idea of facilitating the how to and sharing the creativity that I see from time to time.

No, you are good and I would contribute. There are not that many here who share their personal sequences. There are a couple of us that share every sequence with each other and everyone else.

I think it's a great idea.This is my first year doing animation and it's overwhelming.Got 96 channels to program 

35 minutes ago, Jeffery m said:

I think it's a great idea.This is my first year doing animation and it's overwhelming.Got 96 channels to program 

You will be fine and have 9 months to learn. We all started out new. If you ever plan on sequencing for singing faces do yourself a favor, keep a Windows 7 or 98  on hand. My almost 15 yo laptop that came with WIN ME but has been ugrade several times and has WIN 7 pro performs better than my brand new 16gb ram laptop with WIN 10.

There are a lot of great people here, if you have questions all you have to do is ask.

JR

1 hour ago, whitebuck said:

Ideas:

Free Sharing

Paid Sharing / Goes to Charity

How-tos by members

Member Profiles/Showcases

Members Only by Registration

Paid Registration with fees to Charity

Ads / No Ads - to cover expenses with surplus to charity.

If you don't want to share with everyone, PMs welcome.

Please note, not looking for income, just spreading the knowledge to enhance our hobby.

Reality check time.  People have been spreading knowledge forever.  There's more groups and forums than you'll likely ever find.  Go to Facebook and search LOR.  Then go make yourself a sandwich because you'll have a lot of reading to do.

There's free sequences all over the place.  William Bottomley's High Country Lights website has an extensive listing of sequence sharing sites.

There's lots of paid sequencing purchase sites, starting with, but by no means limited to this one right here.

There's hundreds of threads here and hundreds of how-to's on a veritable plethora of sites, including all over Facebook.  They're all free.

Member profiles are available using your mouse right here on the forums.  Or check member's signature area for more info.

Not sure why members would pay for a membership to yet another resource. 

Many of us already support charities.

PMs are available on every forum and FB group I've ever seen.

Sequencing videos are available from LOR (also accessible from this page) and also from John Storms on Facebook.  There are literally scores of instructional videos and almost all of them are excellent. 

Take advantage of the legions who've come before you.

• Like 1

Great points!  I am always thinking and put the cart before the horse on this idea.

Thinking is good!  Sometimes even great...

There's lots of wheels that haven't been invented yet.  One or two of them might even already have your name on it.

• Like 1

Many DSL accounts come with a chunk of file space that you can host  a web page or FTP at no additional charge (unless the traffic volume is excessive)

You can use something like FileZilla https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client to make the upload easy.  Most browsers can deal with a FTP:// download

What ever you do, you have MORE and bigger stones than I have.  BUT BUT BUT no matter the format give the exact link to what ever music you use for your program so that users can go and purchase the exact same file.  A sequence is pretty much useless if the user does not have the right music then has to purchase and download 15 different versions of the same song.  DO NOT let anyone [Foul Language Used] on your Post Toasties.  Yes there are a lot of free sights, yes there are a lot of pay sites.  Some one on this site thinks that they are the ONLY one who has ANYTHING to offer.  There can be more than one Ford dealership in town.   Give it a shot, if you think you have something to offer then go for it.  I can build jet engines all day that send F-16's and F-15's into combat everyday but to build a sequence will drive me nuts.  Again.... if you feel that you have something to offer, do not let any SOB POS take that away from you.  MP3 Millions is a good place for inexpensive music.     Good Luck and I look forward to seeing some of your sequences.   Especially if they are singing faces for Christmas.  Hint Hint.  LoL 

• Like 4

Right on Paul..

To many forget to post the exact music they use and then expect someone to spend hours or days trying to find the right music to match the sequence.

And there are many who forget that music is paid for a licensed for use by the purchaser and that its not suppose to be sold by them unless they have a license to resale it.

That is one problem about making a sharing page or site which people can post things for others to freely or by donation download from.. Someone is usually going to have their hand out saying wheres my money if they can think of a way to do it.

Its much easier and better to just say.. If I have something you may like send me a e mail and I will send it to you then it is to post and then get like 500 people trying to download it all at the same time like just a month before the Holiday then it is to freely share all year long.

Actually a few years back I actually posted and put mine on a site to share.. it was hit so much and so fast it crashed like three or four time a day for a couple weeks until I took it down.

• Like 1

The music can be found in the sequence itself.

I always give the album title. But in the event someone gives you a seq without it.

Open SE

View

Seq Info 

8 hours ago, Old Sarge said:

Right on Paul..

To many forget to post the exact music they use and then expect someone to spend hours or days trying to find the right music to match the sequence.

And there are many who forget that music is paid for a licensed for use by the purchaser and that its not suppose to be sold by them unless they have a license to resale it.

That is one problem about making a sharing page or site which people can post things for others to freely or by donation download from.. Someone is usually going to have their hand out saying wheres my money if they can think of a way to do it.

Its much easier and better to just say.. If I have something you may like send me a e mail and I will send it to you then it is to post and then get like 500 people trying to download it all at the same time like just a month before the Holiday then it is to freely share all year long.

Actually a few years back I actually posted and put mine on a site to share.. it was hit so much and so fast it crashed like three or four time a day for a couple weeks until I took it down.

Great to see you back!

JR

3 hours ago, dibblejr said:

The music can be found in the sequence itself.

I always give the album title. But in the event someone gives you a seq without it.

Open SE

View

Seq Info 

Hate to break it to you, but that does not really help.  Although that does give the filename of the song, that generally does not give which artist and version.  Many songs are released by different artists that are obviously different, and even the same artist will release the same song that are slightly different versions on different albums.  I ran into that with a Mannheim Steamroller song that I purchased from Brian Bruderer.  I had that song on several different Mannheim Steamroller albums, but all were different lengths and none matched the version Brian had used.  Ended up purchasing the song from Amazon that was the version that Brian specified.  And if someone has edited the song, that makes it completely different. 

If you are talking about the section that starts with Created by:, the person who created the sequence can put anything (or nothing) there.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Hate to break it to you, but that does not really help.  Although that does give the filename of the song, that generally does not give which artist and version.  Many songs are released by different artists that are obviously different, and even the same artist will release the same song that are slightly different versions on different albums.  I ran into that with a Mannheim Steamroller song that I purchased from Brian Bruderer.  I had that song on several different Mannheim Steamroller albums, but all were different lengths and none matched the version Brian had used.  Ended up purchasing the song from Amazon that was the version that Brian specified.  And if someone has edited the song, that makes it completely different. 

If you are talking about the section that starts with Created by:, the person who created the sequence can put anything (or nothing) there.

I guess I never had that problem. When I start a new sequence all of the information is on the form. All of the sequences that have been shared with me was the same. Of course I haven't purchased any in quite a while since I do my own faces and really don't like to have what everyone else has.

JR

I guess I would structure things in a way that the sequence owner could post a link. I don't know how I could guarantee the song was correct and licensed. I guess that would be a challenge. Good points

1 minute ago, whitebuck said:

I guess I would structure things in a way that the sequence owner could post a link. I don't know how I could guarantee the song was correct and licensed. I guess that would be a challenge. Good points

There is another topic in the forums discussing all of the big problems concerning pretty much this topic.

JR

• 3 weeks later...

Considering that I "edit" many of my songs, removing some of the foul language or sexual innuendos that have no place in a family light display for public consumption, especially where children are or would be present, that can create a big issue for sharing sequences and getting the "MP3" music to fit said sequence, even if you did buy the same exact song, if the sequence creator has edited it in any way, someone else, in all likelihood "is not" going to edit in the exact spots or at exactly the same length to make it fit the downloaded sequence{s}.  So that really makes it difficult for the downloader to have the music fit the sequence they just acquired.

I've been trying to keep a better record {by embedding the info inside the MP3} of Artist, Album, etc. of the songs/music I use, but then I, again, custom edit just about every song I use, so someone, even having the correct info on, where to buy, and for the song I used, can get it, but it won't fit the sequence unless it's edited to match the original sequencers creation, and in most cases, it would need to be edited in the exact spot{s} to match up properly and with the timings of the sequence.

Just my nickels worth.