• Announcements

    • LORAdmin

      S5 Beta Comments   07/16/2017

      Please keep all comments about S5 in the Open Beta General Comments section. This will help the developers by only have to look in one area of the forums for comments/questions/concerns about S5.
Gary Levelius

Pixie Firmware update?

8 posts in this topic

Just wondering what if anything is known about the upcoming Pixie update and how close it might be to being released? Looking forward to the addition of the CCR emulations.

-Gary-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to a previous discussion Mike said there is one coming in the spring. That's all the info I have.

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, dibblejr said:

According to a previous discussion Mike said there is one coming in the spring. That's all the info I have.

JR

Spring is coming in just two weeks ;) I'm just dying to use the Pixie for ribbon strips. I'd gotten the same time frame and am just getting anxious I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Gary Levelius said:

Spring is coming in just two weeks ;) I'm just dying to use the Pixie for ribbon strips. I'd gotten the same time frame and am just getting anxious I guess.

Me too on the pixies I have 2 16's

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just noticed this thread. I have a beta release available, but would like to release just the Pixie16 version. I've tried to mimic the CCR, but this is pretty much a rewrite so until people actually run it on their props we won't know if it's close enough to the original CCR/CCB/CCP. Are you interested in running this through on your equipment and then submitting tickets where it falls down? Tracking troubleshooting conversations through this forum is just too hard. Once we get the Pixie16 working, the others should have few, if any, problems.

These are the changes in the interim:

  1. If the number of pixels/port is 50, then color effects, macros and resolution should work. The implementation is very different in this controller, so the timing could be slightly different.

  2. The number of pixels has been increased to 200/port on the Pixie16 and 400 on the other Pixies. The current LOR software supports 170 pixels/port. The support for more than 50 pixels/port requires an Enhanced Network -- the processing and memory resources required for a regular network are just too much.

  3. There is a single shimmer timer for all pixels when running on a regular LOR network.

  4. A standalone sequence can be downloaded. Standalone used to send commands to other controllers at 19.2Kbps, it does that at 115.2 now.

  5. The Test Button behavior is different. If the button is held while powering up the controller, it tests the EEPROM and resets the controller -- it will flash the status LED rapidly if everything is OK and you should release the button to allow the controller to boot, otherwise it will flash an error code to indicate what's wrong with the EEPROM. If the button is pressed momentarily while the controller is powered, it will run the test pattern until you press the button again or 5 minutes goes by. If you hold the test button for 5 seconds while the controller is up, it will reset and reboot the controller. You will know this is happening because the LED will flash rapidly and you can release the button.

  6. The interactive inputs are implemented.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, LightORamaJohn said:

Just noticed this thread. I have a beta release available, but would like to release just the Pixie16 version. I've tried to mimic the CCR, but this is pretty much a rewrite so until people actually run it on their props we won't know if it's close enough to the original CCR/CCB/CCP. Are you interested in running this through on your equipment and then submitting tickets where it falls down? Tracking troubleshooting conversations through this forum is just too hard. Once we get the Pixie16 working, the others should have few, if any, problems.

These are the changes in the interim:

  1. If the number of pixels/port is 50, then color effects, macros and resolution should work. The implementation is very different in this controller, so the timing could be slightly different.

  2. The number of pixels has been increased to 200/port on the Pixie16 and 400 on the other Pixies. The current LOR software supports 170 pixels/port. The support for more than 50 pixels/port requires an Enhanced Network -- the processing and memory resources required for a regular network are just too much.

  3. There is a single shimmer timer for all pixels when running on a regular LOR network.

  4. A standalone sequence can be downloaded. Standalone used to send commands to other controllers at 19.2Kbps, it does that at 115.2 now.

  5. The Test Button behavior is different. If the button is held while powering up the controller, it tests the EEPROM and resets the controller -- it will flash the status LED rapidly if everything is OK and you should release the button to allow the controller to boot, otherwise it will flash an error code to indicate what's wrong with the EEPROM. If the button is pressed momentarily while the controller is powered, it will run the test pattern until you press the button again or 5 minutes goes by. If you hold the test button for 5 seconds while the controller is up, it will reset and reboot the controller. You will know this is happening because the LED will flash rapidly and you can release the button.

  6. The interactive inputs are implemented.

 

 

Let me get my matrix finished (just need to install the nodes and cords). I have everything. And then I have to finish (well tighten up) the controllers. I will gladly test it.

If it means anything my matrix is 24X50 each strand having its own channel.

It may be a week before I am ready though.

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be interested in testing it out.  I have 12 windows I am running pixel strips around.  8 of them will be 50 pixels each.  The other 4 will be 70 pixels.  I will be trying various configurations based on the limitations of the Pixie 16 to decide if I want to run the larger windows as 70 pixels or as a set of 50 pixels plus a second string of 50 (truncated to 20) for each window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 0:29 AM, Steve Gardner said:

I would be interested in testing it out.  I have 12 windows I am running pixel strips around.  8 of them will be 50 pixels each.  The other 4 will be 70 pixels.  I will be trying various configurations based on the limitations of the Pixie 16 to decide if I want to run the larger windows as 70 pixels or as a set of 50 pixels plus a second string of 50 (truncated to 20) for each window.

Steve, just a heads up. The problem with loading the new firmware via the hardware utility turned out to be a problem with the bootloader on the chip. The board I'll be getting will be at v1.02 still but with the fixed bootloader. All I have to do is the request the beta software version and upload it to the Pixie with the hardware utility as normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now