Light-O-Rama Forums

So how and when did you get started?

plasmadrive

5 minutes ago, Dcroc said:

Was wanting to do this for awhile.  Had no idea what was involved.  Did a little (very little) reading, found this forum, and dropped $1600 on a starter kit from Wowlights.  My wife threw a fit when she saw the bill. Said "I could see as much as $500, but $1600!!!".  She didn't know about the other $500 or so I dropped on cases of lights, sequences, cords and wire, etc.  My first display was Halloween, and it was weak.  This will be my 4th year, and it's still weak, but it is getting better. I am starting to understand that the flashy winky blinky thing isn't all that attractive, and loses peoples attention quick.  Would say I spent the first 3 years learning how to do it, and the last year learning my mistakes.  Gonna take a fair guess, and say I'm still 2, or 3 years from actually having that "wow" show.  Adding a pixel tree, and backing off everything flashing all the time, is a big step in the right direction.  So good to have people on this site to guide, and help.  Can't imagine doing it without all you people.

do you have a "theme" for this years Halloween?

When I was a little kid I would decorate my room with Christmas lights during that time of the year. When I got older and moved out on my own I would decorate with only static lights. In 2012 I bought a Mr. Christmas. It was not what I wanted and the following week I purchased one LOR 16 channel controller. That was in October of 2012. I learned a little about how LOR worked and bought pre made sequences. I ran my first show that year with just 16 channels. My town only has around 10,000 people in it but I won the best decorated house that year for my town. After that year I was hooked. A few years later I would add pixels and was amazed by how they could be controlled. 2015 was my first year using pixels. In 2016 I was 100% pixels and had close to 5,000 of them in my show. In 2017 I plan on using close to 8,000 pixels. I no longer use LOR hardware. I do all of mine the DIY way. I still use LOR software though. I was hoping to do my first Halloween show this year but am not sure I will get to. My other hobby is my street/strip car. With the light hobby and the car hobby I just don't have much time for anything else. 

Edited by ebrown1972

• The topic was locked