Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums

Recommended Posts

james morris    189

Need info on building 16 foot 16 string 180 degree pixel tree need any print out of parts list with sizes to cut size of the 180 degree base and top any other info thanks James Morris hotrod54ford@yahoo.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mpageler    55

Lots of past threads on "mega trees" bot here on on other forums.  Do a thread title search by "mega tree".  

 

Doityourselfchristmas.org would be another good forum to search past threads. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dibblejr    336

Yes our DIY forum is lacking the DIY ideas.

We need a section for actually building props step by step. That would be great esp for the members who are new.

JR

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jfuller8400    14

I'm working on a video showing how I rewire a 10w RGB flood for use in a computer-controlled show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dibblejr    336
2 minutes ago, jfuller8400 said:

I'm working on a video showing how I rewire a 10w RGB flood for use in a computer-controlled show.

/watch?v=_9esZTSj_0U

just place "youtube" in front of the /

I must be out of "sharing" file space.

JR

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheDucks    25
16 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Yes our DIY forum is lacking the DIY ideas.

We need a section for actually building props step by step. That would be great esp for the members who are new.

JR

Exactly

I want to see more photos of backs or insides of props  for ideas. There are MANY wonderful displays

In most cases I don't need a full How To video.

A Tips and Tricks section.

Tried that and if was a bad plan  section to avoid reinventing square wheels :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
james morris    189

I have look at Utube and post there great but no parts or size for them when I made my spiral tree there was a good part and size to build it was great help in building it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dibblejr    336
1 minute ago, TheDucks said:

Exactly

I want to see more photos of backs or insides of props  for ideas. There are MANY wonderful displays

In most cases I don't need a full How To video.

A Tips and Tricks section.

Tried that and if was a bad plan  section to avoid reinventing square wheels :unsure:

Yes, even before joining I was all over that section but didn't use anything from it. I have read probably almost every thread and section back as far as some of them go. When I was in recovery I had nothing better to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cdlouke    4
5 hours ago, james morris said:

Need info on building 16 foot 16 string 180 degree pixel tree need any print out of parts list with sizes to cut size of the 180 degree base and top any other info thanks James Morris hotrod54ford@yahoo.com

James will this help: http://www.altoonalights.com/mega/mega_calc.php

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
james morris    189

that is great thanks but what Im looking for is I have 16 string 16 feet 4 inches pixel lights 180 degree tree what size is the top and what radis is the bottom and top and the spacing of the lights when i built my other tree went to utube watch video then he gave a complete parts list cut the tube this size put it together work great dont want to revent the wheel 

Edited by james morris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mpageler    55

tWhile past thread myight not be build turtorials, they do get into topics such as light selections, mouting techniques, poles, star toppers, base spacing, etc..

 

As you research, you're bound to stumble on other topic/infor that can be dang  interesting and helpful, if not now, then down the road

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cdlouke    4

First you need to decide what spacing between lights you want to use. My experience is if you want nice graphics is 3 inches minimum. Using strips from Boscoyo https://www.boscoyostudio.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_6&products_id=2&zenid=nc1go8lo27f4a06gk69c3tcni1 you can make your spacing in one inch increments. So for example if you have 50 pixels per string x a 3 inch spacing your actual useable string length is 150 inches.Using the link I sent will calculate the rest of the measurements you asked about. Boscoyo also make the topper and the cable kit to put your tree together. That's what I used last year and it was perfectly adequate and I was able to put everything up by myself.

mega tree diagram

Key
h = Height of center pole
L = Average Length of Light Strand
C = Circumference of base of Mega Tree
r = Radius of Base(Edge of base to center pole)
D = Diameter of Base
 
Fill in any of the known information below
**All units should be the same. Ex: Feet, meters, inches. DO NOT PUT name of unit in box, just the value!

Quantity of Light Strings for Mega Tree:

Fill in any 2 of the following:
Average Length of Light Strings: units
Center Pole Height (h): units (must be at least 1/10 (.1) unit smaller than string length)
Radius of Base (r): units
Diameter of Base (D): units
Circumference of Base: 338.18834988805 units
String Spacing on Ground: 21.136771868003 units
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OzAz    25

this is another mega tree calculator, has heaps of variables and gives a nice visualisation, also provides power calculations

mega-tree-calculator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
uncledan    31

There is no set guide for a pixel tree.  People have different designs, spacing, etc.  I started by laying the strips out on the ground and seeing what I wanted for spacing at the top and bottom.  I ended up going with approximately 2" spacing at the top and 9" at the bottom on my 16 string tree.  There is no right or wrong.  Its DIY... make it however you want.  I found these pics from BMurray on a previous thread which might give some insight on how some people do it.  https://goo.gl/photos/5WCF4NMoeixB9q2HA My tree frame is all welded together with 1/2" EMT with the strips ziptied to the emt.  Lots of different ways to do it.  None are right or wrong.  Think outside looking for a parts list and figure out what you want your tree to look like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ebuechner    181
21 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Exactly

I want to see more photos of backs or insides of props  for ideas. There are MANY wonderful displays

In most cases I don't need a full How To video.

A Tips and Tricks section.

Tried that and if was a bad plan  section to avoid reinventing square wheels :unsure:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwDgEpqsgNhfVzhyVVJ1YnBRODA

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwDgEpqsgNhfUGVoaFFjZnJwNVE

Edited by Ebuechner
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheDucks    25
1 hour ago, Ebuechner said:

THANK YOU  So many ideas :)

I like the way you pay attention to (and do) cooling.

You also gave me a possible way to do a rooftop display on a single story house with Hip roofs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ebuechner    181
47 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

THANK YOU  So many ideas :)

I like the way you pay attention to (and do) cooling.

You also gave me a possible way to do a rooftop display on a single story house with Hip roofs

If you're referring to that platform that sits on my roof, it folds in half for storage with a piano hinge on the bottom that you can't see in the picture. 

The stands on the bottom are staggered so they slide next to each other when it's folded

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dibblejr    336
13 hours ago, uncledan said:

There is no set guide for a pixel tree.  People have different designs, spacing, etc.  I started by laying the strips out on the ground and seeing what I wanted for spacing at the top and bottom.  I ended up going with approximately 2" spacing at the top and 9" at the bottom on my 16 string tree.  There is no right or wrong.  Its DIY... make it however you want.  I found these pics from BMurray on a previous thread which might give some insight on how some people do it.  https://goo.gl/photos/5WCF4NMoeixB9q2HA My tree frame is all welded together with 1/2" EMT with the strips ziptied to the emt.  Lots of different ways to do it.  None are right or wrong.  Think outside looking for a parts list and figure out what you want your tree to look like.

Mine is 2" and 14 but mini leds.

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×