Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie Questions

SheCreature

If you need sequence look in sequence sharing I have posted a lot pick some will send sent you a pm

As far a question 1

First off, don't limit yourself to shared singing sequences.  Decides that songs you want and then request if anyone has it and would like to share.   Holidaycoro sells singing sequences for $8 or so and Holidaysequences a little highter at $15, but does great work.   With what this hobby costs, if you can't aford or don't want to pay $8-15, then you're probably in the wrong hobby.

In getting singing sequences from different sourcs, you'll have to make sure that the controller id and channel numbers are consistant throughout all you sequences. You can do this via  "channel configuration" menu button.  You don't want controller 1, channel 4 to run run "middle mouth" in one sequences, and "bottom mouth" in another one.  while most singing sequences will have the 8 channels per face, similarly labeled, they may not be in the same order/channel number. 

Both commercial sequence sites I mentioned, have videos of their sequences and you'll get an idea of which songs, with or without modification that would suit 2 faces.  

Two faces versus  1 or 4...will kiod of depend on the song and how much or many background singers it contrains.   You want songs with a single lead singer. Second face would be for background singers. If  background singers act as a group, no problem, you just use 1 or the 3 background singers.  But if  backgrounds are spend amoung 2 or 3 background singers, you may have 2 dark faces while the 3rd or 4th faces is singing.  But you can do some copy/pasting to  combining  separate background singers. 

Regarding hardware, you can save even more by watching for private sales of experienced controllers.  As people add RGB to their display, often they will make nice deals on AC controllers they no longer need. 

I'm personally not much of a fan of starter packages, and that has nothing to do with brand or vendor, but rather price.  Shop sales (LOR has two each year - don't know anything about Wow Lights.) and look for deals on used equipment.  That strategy will save you some serious money.  Best practice is to buy only from folks who've been around the hobby for a while.  Don't EVER buy used from someone no one else has ever heard of.  Don't be afraid to ask people (either publicly or privately) for advice/info/reputation on potential sellers.  Just like everywhere else, there are scam artists aplenty who make their living preying on new people.

There's no need to spend more than $60 bucks or so for a FM transmitter unless you have a specific reason, or know precisely why you're spending more than that. 

The LOR software is NEVER on sale, so it doesn't make much difference when you actually pay for a license.  You can sequence and use the Visualizer with the demo software.  My advice would be to get the advanced level so you have all the software's features available to you.

If you're a member of Facebook, there's plenty of LOR user groups for all aspects of synchronized shows, Visualizer props and fixtures, learning sequencing, buy/sell equipment and more.  There's literally thousands of people available to help you (as well as a bunch of smart alecks to keep you entertained), plus you'll have access to many, many long-time LOR users who don't hang out here anymore.

Welcome!  It might seem intimidating right now, but it's not overwhelming if you take things one step at a time.  Have fun!

Edited by George Simmons

23 minutes ago, George Simmons said:

Regarding hardware, you can save even more by watching for private sales of experienced controllers.  As people add RGB to their display, often they will make nice deals on AC controllers they no longer need. 

I'm personally not much of a fan of starter packages, and that has nothing to do with brand or vendor, but rather price.  Shop sales (LOR has two each year - don't know anything about Wow Lights.) and look for deals on used equipment.  That strategy will save you some serious money.  Best practice is to buy only from folks who've been around the hobby for a while.  Don't EVER buy used from someone no one else has ever heard of.  Don't be afraid to ask people (either publicly or privately) for advice/info/reputation on potential sellers.  Just like everywhere else, there are scam artists aplenty who make their living preying on new people.

There's no need to spend more than $60 bucks or so for a FM transmitter unless you have a specific reason, or know precisely why you're spending more than that. 

The LOR software is NEVER on sale, so it doesn't make much difference when you actually pay for a license.  You can sequence and use the Visualizer with the demo software.  My advice would be to get the advanced level so you have all the software's features available to you.

If you're a member of Facebook, there's plenty of LOR user groups for all aspects of synchronized shows, Visualizer props and fixtures, learning sequencing, buy/sell equipment and more.  There's literally thousands of people available to help you (as well as a bunch of smart alecks to keep you entertained), plus you'll have access to many, many long-time LOR users who don't hang out here anymore.

Welcome!  It might seem intimidating right now, but it's not overwhelming if you take things one step at a time.  Have fun!

+1 100% what George said.

Thank you everyone! I ordered the faces yesterday and purchased the Advanced software. I went with Advanced based on George Simmon's recommendation so I can utilize it more as I grow in this addiction :)

March starts my busy season at work so in between travels I've saved some you tube videos to watch and I will go through the LOR tutorials as well. I opened the software last night and spent some time getting familiar with it. It's a learning curve for sure but I have plenty of time before October to spend with it.

When the faces and controller come in I'll spend some time figuring out how the set up will best work and see if it's easier to use my laptop or go for the director. Trying not to get ahead of myself which I tend to do, so until then I'll be spending time researching the forum on others set ups and the pros and cons :) 

I wanted to also thank James Morris and Bill P for sharing some sequences! These will be immensely helpful as I learn to use the software.

• Like 1