Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie Questions

SheCreature

This is the year! I'm a huge Halloween fanatic and I've always wanted to add singing Pumpkin faces to my Halloween display but that wasn't really feasible until this year and my new home. After a few months of research and finding out which companies to avoid, I I decided LOR was the best route and the community so far seems fantastic from my creeping the forums. I found a 2 face package via Wow Lights (D'lights had frames without lights but per his website he isn't taking any orders) and planned to couple it with their Basic Getting Started Package - 32 Outputs package (two controllers, light-o-rama software, etc). I still only have and inkling of what I am doing so I'm hoping time spent on this forum over the next several months will help me learn set up/the software/high level sequencing/etc.

I have a few basic questions before I place my order and early wait to learn how to make the faces work.

1. As a sequencing newb, how difficult is it to take the sequences shared here on the forum and make them work for two faces vs. one or four? I doubt I'll be making my own anytime soon and hoping to borrow or purchase from others for now, but one day I'd like to give it a solid go.

2. I planned to buy the 32 outputs package in case I am able to program the lights in to the show, but as I am not technically savvy in regards to any of this should I stick with just 16? Looks like the faces have 8 outputs each, and just expand later whenever LOR has a sale on controllers?

3. The faces will mount to my 2nd story. Wow lights sells a package with "USB485B Adapter and 2 Wireless Linkers - one to plug into the USB485B adapter and the other to plug into the first controller, up to 1000ft away.". Would you recommend purchasing this for the faces to avoid wiring across the 2nd story down to the first? Has anyone else use wireless linkers?

3. Does anyone have tutorials they recommend to both set up (channel mapping, explaining to me like I'm 5 because thats how new I am), LOR software etc? I saw an amazing video by Matt Stuart on here on how to copy and paste facial movements into an existing sequence, things along that line.

I'm sure over the years I'll learn but for now this is all overwhelming, albeit exciting! Sorry for all the questions. 

Welcome aboard SC,

You come to the right site. A bunch of us here LOVE Halloween, including myself. All of us here are crazy in some form or fashion.

I would suggest holding off on buying anything just yet. LOR will be having a spring sale soon. Although it quick and short lived, you still might be able to obtain some stuff you need. BUT, you can download the DEMO and start playing around with it.

Others will chime in on singing faces and such.

Again, welcome aboard.

Tom

Edited by Santas Helper

LOR Starter packages are a very good way into this kind of fun. As SH mentioned, LOR has a spring sale for EQUIPMENT.

Wow Lights packages also have (pre-assembled?) PROPS.    (you can use the same kind (as required by prop) of controllers for use in another season (just add the Prop)

?  Why do you need  Wireless Linkers?  Difficulty running the RS485 CAT5 between LORunits/PC ?

BTW Wireless Linkers are NOT WiFi devices.

Thank you both!  I may order the faces now then, the getting started package mentioned above comes with the software so I was thinking it's a decent bundle, but if I can save money I am all about that. I am basically taking my yearly convention funds and channeling it into LOR set up this year because Halloween is the most (the entire inside of my house is horror themed, Halloween is a lifestyle here) and after seeing how many trick or treaters I had last year in this new neighborhood I know they'll flip over the set up this year if I add singing faces :) Halloween was my greatest joy as a kid so I love spreading it. 

The Ducks - See I don't know. Here is one of my problems. I don't know what I'm doing exactly, so let me apologize for that, I am however eager to listen and learn so I can understand the basics and work up from there. I assumed the wireless linkers would let me manage the laptop upstairs and the controllers in the best location (one in the garage for future light shows, one upstairs for the faces). Is this not how they work? 

Fundamentally for this year, I'd like two singing faces for Halloween (and I'd like to leave them up for Christmas too, just change the music). I would likely play over an outdoor speaker. Having the lights as part of the program would be great too, but I can add these in the coming years. I have a PC upstairs I can run this off of - or I can use a laptop. If it were possible (again, don't know what I am doing this is just how I imagined it) since the faces will be mounted to the second story I could feasibly leave the laptop in the room directly attached to the outside wall they would be on, and keep the LOR Unit and PC in there, running the Cat5 through the window(s). In the future, I'd like another controller downstairs for the lights. Attaching a picture of last Halloween, we had some lights, strobes, fog machines, etc but they were all plugged in either downstairs or the garage. Same with the roof lights at Christmas.

17121297_10158181471510005_904093003_o.jpg

I would definitely download the demo software from LOR first and get used to it. When you order a package from someone you will get an activation code by email you can use for the software you downloaded. There is alot of good tutorials to help you learn the software on the LOR site. The demo will get you familiar with how things work with programing you just can't control lights with it until you get an activation code. Lots of free sequences for faces in the sequence sharing section. Good luck with your adventure or like me an addiction. LOL

YOU have PROPS :P  Think on how you could light them now that you will have lots of control.

Spots vs your Floods, Install pixels/nodes on others, strings or Nets.  Go for it.  Do review the distance (from controller) limitations for each type.  AC is the simplest, extension cords. DC (dumb RGB) wire size needs to be considered for longer runs along with additional Power Injection for lots of LEDS on a channel.

BTW do you own that house? Put a weather proof, though wall port (similar to what was used for older Dish systems to pass the cable bundlwe).  You may need more than 1 type of connection to the outside: LOR, E31.1 (isolated ethernet), Audio (speakers) that is not on FM

Haha yes, lots of props and more in progress for this year. Props are easy, lighting/electronics are where I struggle. I own the house, I think I'd need to get some help for the above but sounds doable.

Thanks for the tip TBS99, downloading the demo now!

It sounds like for this year I would just need 16 channels for two faces, then figure out the connection from the computer to the controller to the lights, and a receiver and speakers for the sound. 

you could use a BluTooth speaker in the yard if it is close (25' or less for reliability) to the PC (w/BT :) )

you could use a BluTooth speaker in the yard if it is close (25' or less for reliability) to the PC (w/BT :) )

SC, you have some nice props/display there. :) 

Okay, so just a simple little teaser of my little ole Halloween display. No singing faces but will give you an idea of sequencing lights to a Halloween display. 

Click each pic to see the video.

I love Halloween too. :) 

th_MOV03129_zpsa740e867.mp4

th_MOV08836_zpssrta6uji.mp4

Edited by Santas Helper

Welcome to the addiction!  A lot of good information given.  A couple of comments. 

2 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

I would suggest holding off on buying anything just yet. LOR will be having a spring sale soon. Although it quick and short lived, you still might be able to obtain some stuff you need.

Tom has a good suggestion.  The LOR spring sale has a greater discount than the summer sale.  His comment about it being short lived needs to be taken seriously.  This is a pre tax-inventory reduction sale, so LOR is selling what's in the warehouse.  When an item is sold out, it's done for the sale.  That means that some thing literally sell out in minutes.  Some things will last for days.  Last couple years, the sale has been in early April.  It will be announced on the LOR website, and I HIGHLY recommend signing up for sale notifications on the website.  There will also be lots of chatter here on the forum once it's announced.

5 hours ago, SheCreature said:

(D'lights had frames without lights but per his website he isn't taking any orders)

I wanted to fill you in about D'Lights.  He is a one man shop that does REALLY GREAT work and is hugely popular.  The result is that he takes orders each year until he gets as many orders as he will be able to fill.  As I recall he announced in just the past week or so that he was not taking any more orders for 2017.  Yes, he's that popular - and for good cause.  What he does not do is to take orders that he won't be able to meet.  At least he's honest about what he can accomplish.

38 minutes ago, SheCreature said:

downloading the demo now!

Good.  The demo software is fully functional EXCEPT you can't actually control lights.  However you CAN play with the software and start learning how to use it.  You will have lots of questions.  There are lots of people here who can help you or point you to help.  I'll start with that.  At the top of the pages on the forum is a link that says:

FAQ's - ** LOOK HERE**

There is a dropdown menu for that and one of the links is Video Tutorials.  There are also a bunch of people here who have made instructional videos, and also various levels of detailed websites on how they did stuff - including mine:  http://newburghlights.org/  Check out the sections under Technical details for other lighting people.

Santas Helper - Thank you! I'll be sure to check out your videos :)

Jim - I appreciate the link to your site! Your Christmas display is amazing. I bookmarked it so I can sit down and review the technical details. I appreciate it! And I agree on D'lights, everything I read about his stuff has been amazing. I was just late to the draw this year, but if I expand to more faces in the future I'll be sure to get in touch with them :)

9 minutes ago, SheCreature said:

Jim - I appreciate the link to your site! Your Christmas display is amazing.

It's not that amazing!  But thank you very much.  After looking at the various pages, if you have questions, feel free to ask.  One of these days I'll get more videos posted...

And I just want to make sure know the back story on D'Lights.  Didn't want you to think he was some flake that just not taking orders....  :)

OP- I will make you a custom Singing Face Sequence for free! I have a thread "Now Accepting Free Singing Face Sequences". Please read all of my posts since there was not an edit button for a while. There is a lot of info like where you can find your song/ album ect. that is the only place I go to. Find your song there and all you have to do is put the info in my thread. I do not need the mp3, if I don't have it I have more than enough credits.

Also I will be sharing everything I am currently sequencing for others and everything I have made in the past. I give the requester a little time to enjoy it and give me feedback.

If you don't have the faces you can still view the sequence and my singing faces.

Welcome to the addiction!

JR

4 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

OP- I will make you a custom Singing Face Sequence for free! I have a thread "Now Accepting Free Singing Face Sequences". Please read all of my posts since there was not an edit button for a while. There is a lot of info like where you can find your song/ album ect. that is the only place I go to. Find your song there and all you have to do is put the info in my thread. I do not need the mp3, if I don't have it I have more than enough credits.

Also I will be sharing everything I am currently sequencing for others and everything I have made in the past. I give the requester a little time to enjoy it and give me feedback.

If you don't have the faces you can still view the sequence and my singing faces.

Welcome to the addiction!

JR

My immediate face when you posted this - https://cdn1.lockerdome.com/uploads/e571b10e34e9b88fe576f46cff6906de5c7b9695f0ecfa972f28541bb27effd2_large

Awesome and thank you!! I'm ordering the faces Monday and heading over to your thread now :)

1 minute ago, SheCreature said:

My immediate face when you posted this - https://cdn1.lockerdome.com/uploads/e571b10e34e9b88fe576f46cff6906de5c7b9695f0ecfa972f28541bb27effd2_large

Awesome and thank you!! I'm ordering the faces Monday and heading over to your thread now :)

Love that movie.

4 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Been sequencing since 7 am just now taking a short break, gotta catch up on emails and news

Trooper. Thanks again!