Light-O-Rama Forums

FM transmitter

Jeffery m

Need help choosing a transmitter what is a good brand that isn't not an outrageous price

There are quite a few.  Many use CZE-05B or CZH-05B (available from Amazon among other places).  For high end, check out http://www.edmdesign.com/#

Many people will recommend staying away from the Whole House Transmitter - although a few swear by them.

There are others as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeffery m said:

Need help choosing a transmitter what is a good brand that isn't not an outrageous price

CZH-05B definitely sounds like what you're looking for.  I've been using one for 5 years and it continues to work great!

I agree - avoid the Whole Room thing at any price.  Two tin cans and a piece of string will do just as well.

The CZH is half the price of the Whole Room POS, and it actually transmits all the way out to the street.

• Like 1

Make sure you buy it with a rubber antenna not the telescoping metal one.

And whatever you do don't plug it in until the antenna is installed. 

I must be in minority or just lucky as the WHT/POS has worked great for me the past 3 years and it transmits a good block or so.  But if something is half the price then that would be hard to pass up.

Edited by B.Y.R.G.

I had the whole house one too, worked good but the range wasn't that great, sold it though last year thinking i wasn't doing this anymore, now i want a better one

Cze-05b. I had the whole house transmitter. It sucked. I am 80 feet from my street. Not a huge yard and I could barley hear at my neighbors. I asked the same question this year. I was told cze-05b. About $50 on amazon. Sold my whole house for $60. Literally broke even after shipping! Now I can go about 15 houses down....seriously 15. Perfect reception. If it's a snowy night there are no problems. Now I have my own personal neighborhood radio station. I use the weaker transmitting too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

u leave it indoors? I was debating throwing it into my leaping arches box outside and running the 12v power right from the 12v p/s in the box

Put it near a window inside it will transmit quite a distance. I have a nice spot in my attic that's a central location for all the equipment to control the show and that's where mine sets.

• Like 1

I use the mobile black box v6000 for several years. It gives me great sound 2-3 houses on each side. 100% satisfied with it and I use it all year long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, TBS99 said:

I bought this one and it worked great. I have a 600 foot driveway to the road. I had it in the house and could still hear it clearly a few blocks down the road.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CM2VPMQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just bought this one, can't go wrong for $50 and great reviews

Edited by brichi

45 minutes ago, TBS99 said:

I bought this one and it worked great. I have a 600 foot driveway to the road. I had it in the house and could still hear it clearly a few blocks down the road.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CM2VPMQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

600 foot driveway?!?!?!?   Do you provide binoculars so people can see your show?  :D

LOL, hey that sounds better than candy canes to hand out. I have a really big front yard that  I am slowly filling with props. About 1.5 acres in front.

1 hour ago, brichi said:

u leave it indoors? I was debating throwing it into my leaping arches box outside and running the 12v power right from the 12v p/s in the box

Mine is in one of the brick columns out by the sidewalk.  When I built the column, I installed conduit to it from the house in which I route the cables.  Photo taken on Valentines day.

Valentines-1.jpg

There is an antenna I built mounted on the back side of the brick column (shown with the cover plate removed in this photo).  I found I needed to get the antenna outside the column because the column has a substantial amount of rebar, and the performance was rather poor.  There is also a WiFi access point in the same column and it also suffers from poor performance, but it's primarily there to provide WiFi to a person in a car parked on the street in front of the house - so, no problem...

FM-Antenna_2.jpg

Edited by k6ccc

59 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Mine is in one of the brick columns out by the sidewalk.  When I built the column, I installed conduit to it from the house in which I route the cables.  Photo taken on Valentines day.

Valentines-1.jpg

There is an antenna I built mounted on the back side of the brick column (shown with the cover plate removed in this photo).  I found I needed to get the antenna outside the column because the column has a substantial amount of rebar, and the performance was rather poor.  There is also a WiFi access point in the same column and it also suffers from poor performance, but it's primarily there to provide WiFi to a person in a car parked on the street in front of the house - so, no problem...

FM-Antenna_2.jpg

Jim

You should do a "how to" on your dipole antenna.

JR

5 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Already did - sort of.  Starts about half way down the page.

http://newburghlights.org/Technical.html

Thank you. time for me to knock out a couple bricks from my mailbox. Great idea. Then I have to trench the 120'. LOL Since I don't know how they built the mailbox this should be interesting. Hopefully it has a hollow core. My luck they filled it with leftover bricks.

JR

I built the two columns AFTER I started with LOR, so I designed the interior space and conduit around that.  I don't have an interior photo of the left (AC) column on my website that I can link to here, but here is the right (DC) column:

DC_column_right.jpg

The wood seen served as the form for the concrete that is inside the brick.  There is lots of rebar in the concrete, and wire ties from the rebar to the brick so it's really seriously built to last.  There is between four and eight inches of concrete between the wood and the brick.  For the rest of the photos of the columns, go to this page and scroll down a bit.

http://newburghlights.org/Landscaping.html