Light-O-Rama Forums

Spiral Tree Chart

Dcroc

I know there was a chart for making a spiral tree posted on here some time ago.  Can't seem to find it now.   I have a bunch of 50ct led strings I want to use to make 2 spiral trees, but am not sure what size I can do with 50ct strings. Would like to do 6', but am thinking the strings I have may be too short to go that tall.  Anyone still have a link to the chart for this?

2 hours ago, james morris said:

sent think this is what your looking for

Brother James, can you send that my way? Got me wondering.

Thanks

JR

6 minutes ago, james morris said:

Sent

Thanks, on a side note. I received my extensions today. Moving train out of my garage tomorrow and going to setup my permanent light testing shop in its place.

8 hours ago, Dcroc said:

I know there was a chart for making a spiral tree posted on here some time ago.  Can't seem to find it now.   I have a bunch of 50ct led strings I want to use to make 2 spiral trees, but am not sure what size I can do with 50ct strings. Would like to do 6', but am thinking the strings I have may be too short to go that tall.  Anyone still have a link to the chart for this?

My spiral tree uses 50 ct M5 LEDs.  It's 10' tall and the base has a diameter of 5'.  I can comfortably get 1.5 spirals with that arrangement.

9 hours ago, George Simmons said:

My spiral tree uses 50 ct M5 LEDs.  It's 10' tall and the base has a diameter of 5'.  I can comfortably get 1.5 spirals with that arrangement.

Perfect.  Do you use 16 channels?

1 hour ago, George Simmons said:

Yes - 16 channels, single color.

I did 8 blue & 8 white last year. Was ok, but not great. Following Master George this year with all 16 blue. I know it goes from "pop" to "BAMM!"

28 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

I did 8 blue & 8 white last year. Was ok, but not great. Following Master George this year with all 16 blue. I know it goes from "pop" to "BAMM!"

Eight channels of each color probably sounded good in the beginning.  But instead of a 16-channel tree, you essentially wound up with two eight-channel spiral trees.  IMO eight channel spiral trees are way too choppy except at high rates of speed, and that gets old fast.

And if you used all 16 channels of alternating color, it most likely looked hideous.

I've seen a lot of spiral trees, and the ones which look the best are the single-color, 16 (or more) channel models.  Above all, avoid using multis.  Stay with solid colors.  Just this morning, I saw a video of a prototype using multis, and it looks awful.  It seems to lose all continuity when there's more than a single channel spinning at one time.  That doesn't happen with solid colors.

• Like 1

I use 16 channels for of each color for mine.  It does look really good with the light strings are close together.  its the thing people comment on most in my display.

On a related note, how are people modeling a spiral tree in Visualizer?  I don't see any way to build a spiral tree in the tree wizard, and drawing each string one at a time is certainly possible, but would be hard to make it look good.

54 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

On a related note, how are people modeling a spiral tree in Visualizer?  I don't see any way to build a spiral tree in the tree wizard, and drawing each string one at a time is certainly possible, but would be hard to make it look good.

right here my friend

http://www.landolights.com/main/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,54/func,fileinfo/id,759/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mega Arch said:

Why thank you!

How did you create that prop file?  A painstaking process or was there some magic for it?

37 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Why thank you!

How did you create that prop file?  A painstaking process or was there some magic for it?

Magic. 

I didn't create it. I just knew about the website from years ago. Many useful props are there.