Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie16 & Config

dibblejr

Ok, going to try this again. I have read, read, read and re read the UM over and over to the point where I am just spinning my wheels. The UM seems more geared to the Pixie4 than the Pixie16.

Here is my scenario and the more I read about RGB and this Pixie16 the more hair and sleep I lose. Sleep is highly over rated but I like my hair, its a rarity at my age in my family

50 X 24 Matrix. 12V WS2811's

I have 2 350W PS's connected to 1 pixie16. - 1 Per bank. (read below for my original plan of using 2 pixie16's both having 2 ps's etc.)

Somewhat passes the test after configuration. According to DevMike's answer to my other thread the test mode for the Pixie16 is spotty. It is pending a firmware update though.

I have 2 strands connected Channel 1 and 16 for testing.

I have run a sequence prepared and the light colors do follow the sequence where they should.

On one hand I am being told to set the Matrix up and use only 1 controller and I will have 4 channels left. Also stated I need to set up different Universes and Zig Zag. Ok I have tried to go into "Advanced Config" and I get the message "device does not support Advanced Mode".

On the other hand I have read here that 700w will not be enough but I take into consideration this is only for 3/4th's of the matrix since only 1 controller is set up.

I have search and read all the way back as far as the Pixie 16 was born. I have yet to find anyone that has a Pixie16 discussing running a Matrix and/ or a tree. I was hoping for ease of use and all considering the LOR network but man this is frustrating.

1) Anyone in the know that can decipher what I am talking about that can help me check the configuration and set this pixie16 to where it needs to be to run the matrix off one controller

2) Anyone that can determine what setup is best for my scenario. In my math 700w was enough power for 1 pixie16 but now I am reading it is not going to be enough. My original plan was each 50 pixel strand be on its own channel. Thus requiring two pixie16's so that is what I have. Albeit I only received the parts to complete one for now but shortly should receive parts for the second one. Should I stay on this path or save a controller for other props and if capable set the config (wherever it may be located) to zigzag and Universes.

3) Return to all Old School LED's and save my sanity

4) Is there anyone out there using a pixie16 to control a Matrix or Mega Tree that would care to share the settings with me?

Thanks to all

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Dibble,  I am not the most tech savvy guy but I can tell you that I ran my pixel tree last year without any problems using the Pixie16. My tree had 16 strands of 50 WS 2811's. I ran 2 350 watt 32 amp PS, one to each bank of the pixie16. Only problem I had was that at first I had my network speed to slow. Once I upped that everything ran like a charm .

Charley

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cdlouke said:

Dibble,  I am not the most tech savvy guy but I can tell you that I ran my pixel tree last year without any problems using the Pixie16. My tree had 16 strands of 50 WS 2811's. I ran 2 350 watt 32 amp PS, one to each bank of the pixie16. Only problem I had was that at first I had my network speed to slow. Once I upped that everything ran like a charm .

Charley

Do you mind looking at your HU configurations and either take a screenshot or just type them up and pm or post them here. Your reply makes me smile, I am just wondering what is going on here.

I had to play with the speed in order to get mine to work. I have only tested 1 of 2.

Also if you could tell me the firmware on yours since it works. On the firmware update page in HU it says don't update unless necessary.

Brunswicks not to far away from Bham, LOL I will owe you a beer or root beer lunch something. Singing Face sequences.

JR

Your issues will come down to simple math. If a 50 node string of ws2811 will pull 27 watts and 2.2 amps then a 100 node string (if you double up) will pull 54 watts and 4,4 amps per port. If you have 2-350 watt PS and max out your Pixie16 with 100 nodes per port you will be pulling 432 watts and 36 amps per bank or 864 watts and 72 amps per board, two PS will not be enough.

However, if you are going to zig zag 12 100 node strings with six on each bank, splitting banks equally, you will be using six ports on each bank at 324 watts and 26.4 amps per bank.

Bottom line is you need to know exactly what the specs are for the lights and the capabilities of the controller, I believe the Pixie 16 is fused at 4 amps per port and 32 amps per bank.

Also keep in mind that these numbers are based on all lights on white which is very unlikely with a matrix. I mean if the entire matrix was on white then all you would have is one big, white, blinding, square.  :D

My opinion, the Pixie16 is great for simplicity but LORs RS485 network is not that great for high pixel counts as it is too slow. I pt all my 110v controllers and dumb RGB on LORs network but all my smart pixels are put on E1.31 as it is a much faster network..

Edited by Mr. P

• The topic was locked