Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega tree pixel mounting strips

robongar

2 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

When I did that test I was pulling pretty damn hard on those things to simulate a worst-case scenario. Next will be a stretch test between two elephants. ( who's supplying the elephants?)

I had a few people who just absolutely hate holiday Coro telling me that the strips were junk and that the pixels would pop out (so I tested) . I wouldn't buy all of holiday Coro products but the strip seemed to work fine.

There seems to be a couple people on this forum that go out of their way to jump in wherever they can and say as many negative things about holiday Coro as they can. 

One thing I learned about using these strips they will like to twist in the Wind so get some PEX tubing and make a couple of Hoops to just rest inside the strip on your tree horizontally. The hoop doesn't have to be fastened to the strip just resting in between the pixels on the wires.

You got that right about HC. I too use them and whoever else I can save a little money with. I just happen to learn about the bosocyo strips first. I just received some products (waterproof extensions) from HC, they are by far better quality than the ones I got from Ray.

So I am assuming I can take the old pair of nylons out of my trunk and replace it with a strip of the pixel mounting strip of my choice to use as an emergency fan belt?!

JR

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

You got that right about HC. I too use them and whoever else I can save a little money with. I just happen to learn about the bosocyo strips first. I just received some products (waterproof extensions) from HC, they are by far better quality than the ones I got from Ray.

So I am assuming I can take the old pair of nylons out of my trunk and replace it with a strip of the pixel mounting strip of my choice to use as an emergency fan belt?!

JR

roflmao!!!

12 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

When I did that test I was pulling pretty damn hard on those things to simulate a worst-case scenario. Next will be a stretch test between two elephants. ( who's supplying the elephants?)

I had a few people who just absolutely hate holiday Coro telling me that the strips were junk and that the pixels would pop out (so I tested) . I wouldn't buy all of holiday Coro products but the strip seemed to work fine.

There seems to be a couple people on this forum that go out of their way to jump in wherever they can and say as many negative things about holiday Coro as they can. 

One thing I learned about using these strips they will like to twist in the Wind so get some PEX tubing and make a couple of Hoops to just rest inside the strip on your tree horizontally. The hoop doesn't have to be fastened to the strip just resting in between the pixels on the wires.

I constructed my Mega tree with Holiday Coro strips in 2015.  They were trash as was Davids customer service in my opinion.  Maybe they're better now but I had to ziptie every node of my 20 ft tree in to keep them from falling out...  I threw them out and started over with Boscoyo strips last year.  Much better product!  More than "a few people" have had issues with him and those strips.  Customer service of holiday coro is no where near what you receive with LOR, Boscoyo or other online vendors.  Give it time and you will see why so many people aren't fans...

15 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

There's more than just a couple people.  Those of us who've been around here for a few years often start feeling protective of newbies after a while.  I don't really know why that happens.  I'm not sure anyone does.  I mean after all, they're newbies, right?  But still...

I have no qualms at all about laughing my a$$ off at idiots who knowingly step into a pile of poo and then come away with their shoes smelling bad.  Some people are driven to find the absolute lowest price and nothing else matters.  Often that means stepping around some pretty big piles, or even accepting smelly shoes as a cost of doing business. 

But if I can protect someone who doesn't know any better - someone who doesn't see the pile of poo because maybe they're too busy looking at all the pretty lights - I'm going to.  Doesn't matter to me who likes it and who doesn't.  (Do I get an award for beginning and ending that sentence with the same word?  I just saw that.)

There are excellent vendors in this hobby/business.  Like other "old-timers", I don't hesitate for even one second to praise those vendors.  They've earned their status and they deserve it. 

There's also not-so-excellent vendors.  I'm just as interested in singing their "praises".  It's a different song, but they've also earned their status, and they deserve it too.

If that helps someone who really likes their shoes to save them, then I've done my job and paid it forward.

Edited by George Simmons
  • Like 2

Have had mostly good experiences with HC but my biggest pet peeve with them is it seems they are always looking to sell more product instead of working with someone to make what they have work.  As I have seen here so many times, the solution isn't always more controllers.  I agree with George in that there are some vendors that come on here and don't always deliver a quality product or provide proper support.  Nothing wrong with letting the masses know "Vendor C" doesn't always follow up or the quality of their product is crap.  Keeps others from making the same mistake.  But if you insist on stepping in poo at least use VIPoo away!!

/\/\/|

Exactly why I didn't sign up on LOR forums 7 years ago. To much drama between "old timers" and "newbies" asking questions. Luckily some things changed a couple years ago.

There is a difference between "helping" someone and being condescending. The OP asked for recommendations and experiences, everyone is going to have their opinions based on their experience.

Personally I do not put all of my eggs in one basket. I will shop with whom I want , supply and demand. I use all vendors until I get screwed, then I make my decision to not do business with them. (My money, my terms) 

I have found every vendor to be very helpful. I have not had a single problem with any vendor other than a slow customer service experience but it was not a product issue and it was a busy time of year. I just waited my turn. Since then the same vendor has had great customer service with me.

JR

George and Dan you two had me convinced that I bought the wrong strips.

So I sent an email to Holiday Coro with my concerns. Dave himself called me back one night and spent some time talking to me. After chatting for awhile he gave me some info on the problems some people had with the strips ( someone bought a batch of off-spec strips at a discounted price and had problems with pixels coming out). He never had a bad word to say about his competition.  In the end he decided to give me my money back for the strips even though I told him I was going to use them. 

That's when I decided to test the strips at that point I had nothing to lose and I wanted the truth about them before I put them up. So I fastened them to a hook in the wall and beat the snot out of them at least 10 times, then I made the video. The strip you see tested was one that I pushed to the Limit several times before the video. I also took a few strips and I did push them to the point of failure and it was much further than I thought they would go. 

I offered the video as evidence of the holiday Coro strips, the Boscoyo strips I have no information on so I will not make a claim. I'm sure there a decent quality also. 

The OP asked for information on strips so I offered up my proof . 

I had bought some pixlite controllers from holiday Coro then he came out with the alphapix and I bought one, and I'll never do that again. 

I have purchased several Boscoyo products and I'm very pleased with them although they seem to be lacking in assembly instructions and I have had pixels pop out of a wreath that I bought from them. 

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 5:34 AM, Ebuechner said:

George and Dan you two had me convinced that I bought the wrong strips.

So I sent an email to Holiday Coro with my concerns. Dave himself called me back one night and spent some time talking to me. After chatting for awhile he gave me some info on the problems some people had with the strips ( someone bought a batch of off-spec strips at a discounted price and had problems with pixels coming out). He never had a bad word to say about his competition.  In the end he decided to give me my money back for the strips even though I told him I was going to use them. 

That's when I decided to test the strips at that point I had nothing to lose and I wanted the truth about them before I put them up. So I fastened them to a hook in the wall and beat the snot out of them at least 10 times, then I made the video. The strip you see tested was one that I pushed to the Limit several times before the video. I also took a few strips and I did push them to the point of failure and it was much further than I thought they would go. 

I offered the video as evidence of the holiday Coro strips, the Boscoyo strips I have no information on so I will not make a claim. I'm sure there a decent quality also. 

The OP asked for information on strips so I offered up my proof . 

I had bought some pixlite controllers from holiday Coro then he came out with the alphapix and I bought one, and I'll never do that again. 

I have purchased several Boscoyo products and I'm very pleased with them although they seem to be lacking in assembly instructions and I have had pixels pop out of a wreath that I bought from them. 

The strips I have are labeled "OFF SPEC PRODUCT This product has been marked as off-spec as it doesn't meet our high standards for "regular" product.  This product is still completely functional"   Its been a while since I bought these.... but it was in the presale for 2015.  On sale yes... but I don't remember any mention a faulty off spec material.   It wasn't "completely functional" the nodes were falling out... Regardless Boscoyo would never ship product as flawed as this...  I was a big fan of Holiday Coro and a very loyal customer.  Davids customer service is horrible in my opinion.   I spent close to 10k there in 2015 and wasn't treated very well.  I had an issue with a Boscoyo product and they took care of it.  No questions asked.  The same cant be said for Holiday Coro.    Trying to warn people is all.  This isn't LOR you're dealing with when it comes to product quality and customer service.  I still have a couple of unopened 20 strip rolls with the "OFF SPEC... etc "  sticker on them if you're interested.  Make you a killer deal on some quality Holiday Coro product...  Like George said, trying to warn newbies so they don't make the same mistake I made.  Holiday Coro copies what other vendors come up with, lowers the quality as well as the price tag.  Undercuts them with an inferior product in my opinion.

All I can do is offer my experience as it happened. So far I've had no problems with either company. But I wouldn't buy an AlphaPix controller again it's lacking in quality and features compared to the competitors. But it's a clear case of YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Dan, you and George are Stand Up Guys and I appreciate what you're trying to do.

( and I think both of you have awesome displays)

I posted here not as an attack on either one of you but just to offer my experience so the OP could look at all of the evidence and make their own decision.

1 hour ago, Ebuechner said:

All I can do is offer my experience as it happened. So far I've had no problems with either company. But I wouldn't buy an AlphaPix controller again it's lacking in quality and features compared to the competitors. But it's a clear case of YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Dan, you and George are Stand Up Guys and I appreciate what you're trying to do.

( and I think both of you have awesome displays)

I posted here not as an attack on either one of you but just to offer my experience so the OP could look at all of the evidence and make their own decision.

Yes, that's all we can do is add our experience(s). I have had a good experience with HC.

I guess its part of business to copy or produce/ market similar products. If not we would all be driving a Ford of some sort.

In this hobby almost everything is copied/ reproduced in some fashion. (star toppers, props, mega trees and the list could go on and on)

I have had nothing but great experiences with every online store I have done business with WOW Lights, HC, Boyscoyo Studios, LOR no complaints other than some slow customer service, and answers to question straight from the text books. Leaving myself to figure out some of the difficult stuff either by myself or from the great members here.

JR

I have pixel strips from HC. I really haven't had any issues. There are a few that pop out but a little nudge and it's back in.  I am though switching over to Boscoyo pixel strips for some matrixs that I'm building this year. The quality I do have to say seems MUCH better.  I do have 5 Alphapix controllers and 1 Pixlite. They work great for me and have no issues. I don't need a controller with 10 million functions. So I am.happy with them. But to each there own....