Light-O-Rama Forums

Definitely dark in 2017

Jaynee

Well, at the end of 2016 we made the decision to be "dark" for 2017 in case we decided to travel, or just to give ourselves a break - but it turns out we'll be dark in 2017 for a different reason altogether!

We've decided to sell our current digs and buy a new house.  We won't even get ours on the market until May or June, which means we may not close on a new place until the fall - which is way too late to get started on a new configuration and creating a whole new show!  

And you KNOW I'm only looking at houses that are one-story with big front yards (or corner lots) so that I can decorate along the roofline but also have more room to expand!  I'm also only looking at houses that have nice wide streets for traffic purposes.  

Other people care about updated kitchens and new appliances.  I'm the one looking at rooflines and yard sizes...

• Like 6

This made me laugh because my wife and I joke how if we ever decided to move, the yard and house front would be the first deciding factor for me as well.  Good luck in your search.

• Like 1

If I ever move I'll be doing the SAME THING...LOL.  As I pass by houses even now I'll be like.."OMG,  that would be perfect for a display!!" :D. Good luck and can't wait to hear about the new place and see the results in 2018!

• Like 1

We all understand!  My house and yard are OK, but I can't handle more than a few cars at a time.  I've been to BMurray's house and he's even tighter than I am for audience space.  I have NO plans to move - at least until I retire and even then it's only a maybe, but IF I do, lighting layout WILL be a factor.

• Like 1

A house came on the market yesterday - no HOA, flat, corner lot, 3/4 acre, house tucked in the back corner away from both streets.  So the yard is PERFECT.  However, it's a split level (a layout of which I'm not fond).  

Pity we won't be ready to list our house anytime soon.  I need to stop looking at houses online now and just wait until the "for sale" sign is in our own yard. *lol*

Sorry all but I am the opposite. I will live in a house until I die but I won't be doing the lights forever so the house has priority. Whichever house I happen to be in I will just tailor the lights to it until I just can't do it anymore. 

My current house is three stories and I don't see myself climbing a 40 foot ladder to get to the roof to hang lights when when I am 70 but I won't sell just so I can keep up the lights. It all must come to an end sooner or later :D

Big workshop in back or a big front yard? Hmmm. I'll take the workshop.

Edited by Mr. P

The house that went on the market yesterday switched to "Pending" today - I have a feeling it was pending long before it hit the MLS.  Our market is hot, but it's not THAT hot (although maybe I WANT it to be that hot so that our own house will sell quickly too).

3 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Sorry all but I am the opposite. I will live in a house until I die but I won't be doing the lights forever so the house has priority. Whichever house I happen to be in I will just tailor the lights to it until I just can't do it anymore. 

My current house is three stories and I don't see myself climbing a 40 foot ladder to get to the roof to hang lights when when I am 70 but I won't sell just so I can keep up the lights. It all must come to an end sooner or later :D

Big workshop in back or a big front yard? Hmmm. I'll take the workshop.

This is why I want a one-story house instead of a two-story.  I'll be able to decorate the roofline, but won't have to worry about high ladders.  The other benefit being that when I'm retired from doing lights, I will still be in one-story and won't have to worry about stairs...

Jaynee, best wishes to you and your display as a new chapter of your life begins.

Freya Stark said it best:
Christmas is not an external event at all, but a piece of one's home that one carries in one's heart.

I hope you find the right house singing the right tunes for you.

• Like 1

Omg I thought I was the only one lol. We've been looking for a house for a couple of years and that's the first thing I've thought of at every house we find 

• 2 months later...

We've had a change in plans.  We decided not to move after all!  We decided not to uproot the kids and let them finish out school - at that point we'll consider selling the house and downsizing into something smaller.

We'll still be dark in 2017, though.  We need the break.  We'll just do wreaths on the windows this year.  I know people in our 'hood who love our display are going to freak out when they don't see us decorating over Thanksgiving weekend this year. *lol*  With the issues we've had over the past few years (vandalism, things stolen) we've threatened to stop altogether.  I'm sure some may think we're following through on that threat.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:19 AM, Jaynee said:

....We'll still be dark in 2017, though.  We need the break....

It's May - you'll change your mind when it gets closer.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Those of us that are/ were military can relate.

JR

So how many of us are (ex) Military with active duty?

Navy 8Y (+2 reserve)

Edited by TheDucks
truncated

16 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Navy 8Y (+2 reserve)

Just a tad over 25 years AFS. 12 USMC and 13 US Army retired 2008

JR

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

Navy 8Y (+2 reserve)

26 years to the day. 6 years Air Force and 20 Air National Guard, full time.