Light-O-Rama Forums

Mini trees

Jeffery m

OK guys just finished my mini tree prototype 3 feet tall I put chicken wire on outside to keep the lights from facing inside the frame My question is there a way to get the mini lights to lay flat

5 minutes ago, Jeffery m said:

OK guys just finished my mini tree prototype 3 feet tall I put chicken wire on outside to keep the lights from facing inside the frame My question is there a way to get the mini lights to lay flat

I think you are over thinking it. Test it at night, you may be amazed. I use tomato cages, two stacked on top of each other and then turn so the ribs do not line up. About 100 tiny zipties keep them from falling down. I do not worry about them "falling up". They always have looked good. Cannot tell the difference at night. As long as they are round and not pyramids

6 minutes ago, Jeffery m said:

My tree is more of a cone shape and yes I probably am being to critical of my self.   thnx

My trees were 4 channels Red, Blue, Green and white. 1 - 16 channel controller. Lots of fun and imo they add a lot of bang for the buck.

11 hours ago, dibblejr said:

My trees were 4 channels Red, Blue, Green and white. 1 - 16 channel controller. Lots of fun and imo they add a lot of bang for the buck.

Jr, you need to remove the lights and put them back on as Red, White & Blue and then Green. :)

Sorry, 26 years in the military makes me think a certain way. B)

Edited by Santas Helper
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

Jr, you need to remove the lights and put them back on as Red, White & Blue and then Green. :)

Sorry, 26 years in the military makes me think a certain way. B)

Yes, me too. Don't know how I screwed that up and you know I don't want to lose my "edit" privileges so I m trying not to use it. I also have almost 26 years AFS and have collected 16 flags for proper retirement ceremonies. Just a lot going on and typed it hastily.

11 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Yes, me too. Don't know how I screwed that up and you know I don't want to lose my "edit" privileges so I m trying not to use it. I also have almost 26 years AFS and have collected 16 flags for proper retirement ceremonies. Just a lot going on and typed it hastily.

I was just playin JR. :) well kinda sorta. :) 

But how do you lose "edit" privileges? Never heard of that.

I know after about 30 minutes the right to "edit" goes away on it's own.

Edited by Santas Helper

46 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

JR,

I've made this mistake before and can save you some time. Instead of removing them, just take your time and plug them back in using the correct RWB-G order. Then restart your computer. Bamm.. It works...:P

Daniel

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

With my orange, green, black or white cord?

I prefer green or black cord if used in a dark setting.

2 hours ago, dibblejr said:

With my orange, green, black or white cord?

Orange cords just use too much electricity. Any of the others should be fine. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mega Arch said:

Orange cords just use too much electricity. Any of the others should be fine. 

Exactly where I was going with my comment just didn't want to get a warning for starting that mess back up. LOL

Yeah - sorry Jeffery for taking it way off your thread. Back to your original post. 

Don't picture why you'd want em flat. They're still 360 visible through the chicken wire so everywhichway should give a full look. 

I'm making new ones this year myself. 3' PVC & pex frame. RWB-G super M6 strands. Letting em fly in whatever position they want to. 

I've been dying to convince my family members that we need mini trees and I really want to add them in. However, a budget is a budget and a plan is a plan. Therefore, I'll sneak it into next year's plan.

4 hours ago, lightingnewb said:

I've been dying to convince my family members that we need mini trees and I really want to add them in. However, a budget is a budget and a plan is a plan. Therefore, I'll sneak it into next year's plan.

If you lived close I would hook you up. I have about 50 cages from my garden. I made my friend 2 last year total cost was about $8. If I had to buy the cages would have still been around $20. He does not have LOR stuff. He has 4 of the Christmas in a box. 3 of which I gave him over the years. I used incans from Walmart - total was 300 minis. I think they were like $2.99 a box.

The costly part is controllers. If you have spare channels it makes it easier on the budget. Where do you live I have 8 spares (short ones) I use taller ones.?

On 2/21/2017 at 6:06 PM, Jeffery m said:

Either zip ties or hot glue should work.  But why?

Definitely over-thinking.  In the dark no one will notice the orientation of the lights.  Fewer still will even care.

IMO the chicken wire is a waste of time.  When lights can be seen through the tree, you need fewer for the same brightness at the curb.

13 minutes ago, George Simmons said:

Either zip ties or hot glue should work.  But why?

Definitely over-thinking.  In the dark no one will notice the orientation of the lights.  Fewer still will even care.

IMO the chicken wire is a waste of time.  When lights can be seen through the tree, you need fewer for the same brightness at the curb.

George , I am 100% with you on this. Lord knows I didn't use chicken wire or anything else but zipties to keep them from basically falling down. I believe my cages are 52", I have bulbs facing whatever direction they happened to end up at.

All the audience sees is the wow factor that such a cost effective prop adds to my yard.

JR

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dibblejr said:

If you lived close I would hook you up. I have about 50 cages from my garden. I made my friend 2 last year total cost was about $8. If I had to buy the cages would have still been around $20. He does not have LOR stuff. He has 4 of the Christmas in a box. 3 of which I gave him over the years. I used incans from Walmart - total was 300 minis. I think they were like $2.99 a box.

The costly part is controllers. If you have spare channels it makes it easier on the budget. Where do you live I have 8 spares (short ones) I use taller ones.?

Dude, that'd be too nice of you. I'm in northern California. I have a whole unused controller atm. I'd love to get in contact as long as I can justify this to my family. Let me talk to them and then I'll send a direct message to you once I can confirm. Thank you so so so much.