Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Pixel Fire Stick without tubing

plasmadrive

I was unable to find straight 3" translucent white pipe to make my RGB Fire Sticks so I came up with what I think is a cheap, better,  faster way.

This video is just showing a very quick mock up.  I will do more with it later.  I just wanted to prove the concept.  It looks really cool in person.  The camera doesn't do it any justice and it is only on a tester so no way to turn it down. 

I put this together in about 10 min for the test so it's not perfect.. but you get the idea.  Using Coroplast I just created a triangle and put a 60/m strip in for testing.  The final will have a top and bottom and a method for mounting to a  10' piece of conduit to hold it up in the wind.

More info and details later.   Please like and subscribe.

Craig

• Like 3

Went out this morning about 3am, in the dark and watched the test patterns from about 20' and 40' and 60' away.. Looks great IMHO.  Today I will work on the refinements

On 2/20/2017 at 5:59 PM, plasmadrive said:

I was unable to find straight 3" translucent white pipe to make my RGB Fire Sticks so I came up with what I think is a cheap, better,  faster way.

This video is just showing a very quick mock up.  I will do more with it later.  I just wanted to prove the concept.  It looks really cool in person.  The camera doesn't do it any justice and it is only on a tester so no way to turn it down. 

I put this together in about 10 min for the test so it's not perfect.. but you get the idea.  Using Coroplast I just created a triangle and put a 60/m strip in for testing.  The final will have a top and bottom and a method for mounting to a  10' piece of conduit to hold it up in the wind.

More info and details later.   Please like and subscribe.

Craig

Tell me more Master Yoda, I am strong with the force.

• Like 1

The coroplast is something you buy in sheets.  I got it at my local plastic place.. but it was not a hole in the wall place, it was a big supplier.   It was about $10 for a 4'x8' sheet if I remember right.

The coro claw is the cutter I used.. you can make about 4-5 of these from one sheet.  The one in the video is 8' tall, same as my old Fire Sticks. 

When I get a chance to refine it a bit I will do a better job of showing a how to. 

• Like 2

OK.. still no video, but here is the profile on Version 2. It is more labor intensive but looks pretty cool. I still have not tested them looking from the street but I doubt anyone can tell the difference when they are lit in the dark. This has a rounded top but still a square bottom. The plan is to mount conduit clamps on the back and mount it on 3/4" conduit pounded into the ground about 2'. I haven't put LEDs in this one yet but will try to do that tonight and test it with some video.. Should still be able to get 3-4 from a single sheet of Coroplast. That means about $3-$3.50 each.

Let me know what you think.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h44v2mjioh7z9eq/AACoHYa0FrpAjVt5Eaz09V3Za?dl=0

Edited by plasmadrive

5 minutes ago, plasmadrive said:

but here is the profile on Version 2. It is more labor intensive but looks pretty cool. I still have not tested them looking from the street but I doubt anyone can tell the difference when they are lit in the dark.

I'll bet it's more labor intensive to build.  I suspect you're right that from the street, most people would never tell the difference unless they were lit side by side.  Let us know what you find out.

I did 21 of those for my window frames (from the inside)  7 feet by 7 feet.   I would suggest that you have keep them closed with hook and loop tape.  My first ones were hot glued shut after the strips were attached.  Hard to get open for adjustments or replacements.  Occasionally you may need to open them for one reason or another and Hot glue works TO GOOD some times.

I have some industrial Hook and Loop that I can use.. Hot glue is for the ends while testing.. Mounting is going to be my next fix..

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

I'll bet it's more labor intensive to build.  I suspect you're right that from the street, most people would never tell the difference unless they were lit side by side.  Let us know what you find out.

As soon as I get some decent video I will post.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:45 AM, caniac said:

where did you find that product?

If these are triangular shaped why cant you put holes in them and attach the pixel strands on that inside crease and then use zip ties as multi functional. 1 to hold the pixels in place and the other to keep the flap closed?

I made a smaller one out of some signs from the gas station and I just dangled the strands inside, The bad I could read the pepsi logo so they will not work for this but the free coro will work for props like faces and tombstones etc,

JR

11 hours ago, dibblejr said:

If these are triangular shaped why cant you put holes in them and attach the pixel strands on that inside crease and then use zip ties as multi functional. 1 to hold the pixels in place and the other to keep the flap closed?

I made a smaller one out of some signs from the gas station and I just dangled the strands inside, The bad I could read the pepsi logo so they will not work for this but the free coro will work for props like faces and tombstones etc,

JR

I know your question was directed at me but...

I use strips instead of strands.  You can use strands I suppose.  I use the strips because they are easy to use and they lay very low to the back and the spacing is always very linear.  I use the 12v 3LED per channel type.  For me I like the look.

I am still working on what I like best for mounting.  Using wire ties could allow spinning around the EMT in the strong winds we get.  With conduit clamp that would not be an issue. 

Still working on figuring out all of the details.

1 hour ago, plasmadrive said:

I know your question was directed at me but...

I use strips instead of strands.  You can use strands I suppose.  I use the strips because they are easy to use and they lay very low to the back and the spacing is always very linear.  I use the 12v 3LED per channel type.  For me I like the look.

I am still working on what I like best for mounting.  Using wire ties could allow spinning around the EMT in the strong winds we get.  With conduit clamp that would not be an issue. 

Still working on figuring out all of the details.

I was speaking more of using the zip ties to keep the prop closed and can be used to gain access if need to service the lights. Not for securing to however you have them on the ground/ structure.

however if you drill holes in various sides of the conduit , not so tight that there is no movement. Would want some give in wind. you could use heavy duty zip ties to secure everything. 

If I had time I would try unfortunately Drs office like to waste my time as I am doing right now! Sitting here after being told they called me yesterday and told me I need more tests! I am about ready to fire them before they give me another heart attack!

Edited by dibblejr

I couldn'\t justify cost of acrylic frosted pipe so I made my own tubes.

\Used "natural" colored corrugated platics sheets. It's translucent and makes a good diffusor. I used it on my porch colum light boxes.  I folded 8" strips into a 2" tube and taped the vertical seam with Gorilla Glue Repair tape which is a heavy duty clear tape that can be used outdoors.  I found 2" silicon tube caps to cap top and bottom. I attached my pixel modules to a <2" strip of the plastic and inserted it into the tube, glueing to the back inside of the tube at the bottom and top. Drilled holes on either side of  top silicon cap for wires.  Once all build, I wrapped the silicon caps and tube joint with more tape.  Sorry I don't have any pictures. 

Really happy with them and have excellent duffusor effect. I made mine all 2ft in length to give me programing flexibility.