Light-O-Rama Forums

HDPE white tubing supplier?

Archer

Definitely keep us posted if you can. Straight tubes are next on my lit to make an audio eq type effect out of like 10 tubes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll tell you my thoughts on straightening.

I plan on connecting 10" stove pipe making a total of 22'. I will then cut a 20 foot length and slide it inside the stove pipe. Then I will place my propane torpedo heater at one end and crank it up. I once saw this method used to heat and bend composit deck boards to make designs on fancy decks.....why not try this method to take bends out? Before I try any of this...a quick call to the manufacturer will verify the temp needed to make it payable and ask if I am headed in the right direction.

Edited by Archer
Additional info

14 minutes ago, Dcroc said:

Where did you get the coloplast?

Here is a little secret that may help a lot of people get free coloplast.

My in-laws own a gas station/ convenient store. You know those Pepsi and other promotion signs you see (2 for $). They are a little thicker than my singing face coloplast and they get thrown out after the specials are over. Also if there is a BP or probably other fuel station, their static signs are changed out about every 3-4 months, If you get in good with the owners perhaps you can get some to make your props.

One side is always white and the other side displaying the promotion can always be painted.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

14 minutes ago, Dcroc said:

Where did you get the coloplast?

local plastic shop.  4x8' sheet was about $10 a year ago.  I still have some left over from another project. 

2 minutes ago, plasmadrive said:

local plastic shop.  4x8' sheet was about $10 a year ago.  I still have some left over from another project. 

It also depends on the thickness. Around here the 2-3mm is $12-14. HD carries it for $15-17 for the about 4mm. I get the 4mm-6mm free from the gas station. About 4 Pepsi signs is a sheet give or take a little. Best yet its free. It all gets thrown out by the gas station owners on the day that the promoters tell them to switch.

JR

Free it always good!  I wanted my 8' lengths.  Not sure I would get free that long.. but hey, the price it pretty minor compared to tube that is $20 plus shipping.   I am still playing with variants.  this is fun

34 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

One side is always white and the other side displaying the promotion can always be painted.

JR

How does painting one side allow the light to come through?

Just now, Archer said:

How does painting one side allow the light to come through?

I was stating that for general use, not specifically for the straight tubes. However some of the different vendors have a lot of white coroplast signs. I bet that if you have the white side facing your audience it will give the came effect. You can make stars, faces, tombstones or whatever with painted coroplast.

JR

27 minutes ago, plasmadrive said:

Free it always good!  I wanted my 8' lengths.  Not sure I would get free that long.. but hey, the price it pretty minor compared to tube that is $20 plus shipping.   I am still playing with variants.  this is fun

Just depends on the sponsor and promotion. I have some in my van right now that are 8' long by about 3' wide. My brother n law just called me to pick them up. I also have some smaller ones that can be used for various props. I never thought about posting it up until someone asked you where you got it.

Everyone has their fav gas station, never hurts to ask. Also they come with extra heavy duty and long zip ties. Normally the workers will be too lazy to put them up properly, just another possible lead to free useable stuff.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

Got my 2" tubing from McMaster-Carr as well. Love it!

What length Santa?..they look great!!!

Thanks Archer, Each arch tube is just over 16' long. This makes each arch 6' high and 10' wide and utilizes a full pixel strip.

Edited by Santas Helper

5 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

Thanks Archer, Each arch tube is just over 16' long. This makes each arch 6' high and 10' wide and utilizes a full pixel strip.

I requested a quote from the manufacturer and they replied with a min order of 250ft at $1.00 per foot as compared to McMaster Carr at $1.96 per foot plus shipping. I then asked them how to straighten a 100ft coil. They told me it is next to impossible given the molecular structure of the extrusion. Then they told me they can extrude it and keep it straight but shipping would be a problem. I told them to give me a quote as I would pick it up at the factory.....have not got the second quote but at half the price of McMaster Carr when coiled I would think it is reasonable if not cheaper than McMaster Carr. 

• Like 1

I've heard that Mcmaster carr's shipping is exorbitantly high as well. It would be worth it for anyone close to McMaster or Hudson to pick it up. I picked mine up from Mcmaster in Aurora Ohio. Knowing the price difference now, I should of went to Hudson.

12 hours ago, Archer said:

I requested a quote from the manufacturer and they replied with a min order of 250ft at $1.00 per foot as compared to McMaster Carr at $1.96 per foot plus shipping. I then asked them how to straighten a 100ft coil. They told me it is next to impossible given the molecular structure of the extrusion. Then they told me they can extrude it and keep it straight but shipping would be a problem. I told them to give me a quote as I would pick it up at the factory.....have not got the second quote but at half the price of McMaster Carr when coiled I would think it is reasonable if not cheaper than McMaster Carr. 

Yes, MMC is expensive for shipping. Last year, I went on an order with someone else and we split the shipping cost. It made it much more worth it.

So you mention contacting the manufacturer. Is this the place that makes the exact same product that MMC sells that we are discussing here?

2 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

So you mention contacting the manufacturer. Is this the place that makes the exact same product that MMC sells that we are discussing here?

I read on DIYC that the manufacture of HDPE that MMC sells is Hudson. I posted the link on the first page of the thread post #10 I think.

20 minutes ago, Darryl Lambert said:

I read on DIYC that the manufacture of HDPE that MMC sells is Hudson. I posted the link on the first page of the thread post #10 I think.

Well I requested a quote with Hudson to compare. We will see...

You might want to cut to size and if you can heat up sand to fill it do so with the ends up

and the heat will help straighten it out by then end laying down from the heat. You will need

to cap off the ends so keeps sand and heat inside.