Light-O-Rama Forums

HDPE white tubing supplier?

Archer

Does any of the forum gang have any experience with HDPE WHITE tubing for making arches? Since I'm getting into pixels I would like to start making my leaping arches using HDPE WHITE opaque tubing and many of the YouTube videos get their HDPE from McMaster Carr but I find them a tad high on prices. Anybody have other venders?

I don't think this is stiff enough for a 100" (circumference) arch :P

<jealous>I have 35' to work with, leaving the driveway clear.</jealous>

Can't remember where I ordered mine from.  Will have to look it up.  I am in need of more.  I got the info from the "Johnson Family Christmas" videos on youtube.  I believe it was around $20 for 10'.  Will post the link when I find it.

I got my info from Johnson also and he got his from McMaster Carr.  My arches will only be 20' from end to end but 5 of them means 100' (see how sharp I am). I have more than arches up my sleeve and I am teaming up with others to make a bulk purchase.

A few things..

First off, you don't want opaque.  That means it blocks all light.  You want it translucent, but I don't know anyone that sells it with that spec.  Usually it is called out as white since it is high pressure pipe.

I bought mine from McMaster Carr.  I got the 2" version but you can use 1.5" most likely. 

I tried to attach a picture but as usual, if failed due to the ridiculous size limit I think. 

You are correct about translucent vs opaque. I didn't say what I was thinking. It was a senior moment. I know that McMaster Carr has it but I've got to believe somebody else carries it. 

4 hours ago, plasmadrive said:

A few things..

First off, you don't want opaque.  That means it blocks all light.  You want it translucent, but I don't know anyone that sells it with that spec.  Usually it is called out as white since it is high pressure pipe.

I bought mine from McMaster Carr.  I got the 2" version but you can use 1.5" most likely. 

I tried to attach a picture but as usual, if failed due to the ridiculous size limit I think. 

Host your picture on Photobucket and then copy/ paste the "forum URL" here. Problem solved.

JR

I believe McMaster Carr buy's their HDPE from  Hudson . I heard that if you buy direct from them you need to purchase 150 feet min.

7 hours ago, Darryl Lambert said:

I believe McMaster Carr buy's their HDPE from  Hudson . I heard that if you buy direct from them you need to purchase 150 feet min.

Thanks Darryl.....I've sent them a request for price and tech stuff.

the shipping was I believe $70 to Long Island for me, it came in 1 big coil, easy to cut with hacksaw and kept the shape as i built them. For the last 1 i built the tube straightened out a little but i ran top through it, pulled the ends together in the shape i wanted and tied it for a few hours and the shape stayed the way i needed as i built the last one

Photo%20Feb%2020,%208%2022%2054%20AM.png

16 hours ago, Archer said:

You are correct about translucent vs opaque. I didn't say what I was thinking. It was a senior moment. I know that McMaster Carr has it but I've got to believe somebody else carries it. 

I looked around but after a half hour of searching, I could not find what I wanted else where.  For me, anything under 1 1/2" was too small.  I opted for 2" and I am glad I did in the end.  I personally think it looks better when lit and very sturdy. 

HDPE is fairly rigid and because it's usually coiled when you receive it, it likes to stay that shape. I needed some pieces to be strait so I first had to slide a pipe inside the HDPE & left it in the sun to try to take the bend out of it.

Archer if shipping is to high your propabaly close enough to them to drive there & pick it up. You'd need a truck though. The coil I got was 5 feet in diameter.

I'll echo the issue of HDPE pipe wanting to remain in the coil shape. Five years ago I bought two 100 foot coils from Home Depot of one inch HDPE. It came as about a three foot diameter coil. I needed it straight for my project. I tried all kinds of things to straighten it out, and finally laid it out straight across the yard pulled under about 500 pounds of tension from a winch. Left it that way in the hot southern California summer sun for three months. When I released the tension, it went back to the three foot coil within ten minutes. Still sitting here - useless. Had to re-engineer the project.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

HA ha.. I just came up with something new on this subject (straight tubing).  I will make one and see if it works out.. and get back to you guys, but I will start another thread.