Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB16D-QC

Obejohnknobe

I have 12vdc LED strip lights being run with the CMB16D controller and want to change out to 5vdc dumb nodes for half of the card (channels 9 thru 16)  On the specs it says it can run any voltage (5 thru 60 vdc) but does not say if you can run half of the card one voltage and the other side a different voltage.  The card is only concerned if it has enough voltage to run the card i.e barrel connector.  Anybody have an answer?  Thank you in advanced!

I don't know the answer to that one off hand, however if you open a help desk ticket I can make sure it gets over to engineering and get you an answer.

I have looked (lusted :)) at these

The card has 2 power inputs. 1 for each bank.

Bank 1 input needs to be 12V (also powers card without needing extra PSU). Bank 2 can be 5V

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that each output is switched to ground to turn it on (very rapidly, using PWM). This means that you can connect the positive lead of your lights to any positive voltage you want. The positive voltage doesn't have to be routed through the CMD16D (as long is there is voltage to power the card itself). Therefore, you could have lights of several different voltages using the same card (again, using a non-standard connection for the anode).

• Like 1

Yes, you can run different voltages.  The manual specifically states that.  Note that ground for the two voltages is common.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Thank you for all of your advice.  I will be trying this in the next month June-ish for the completion of the setup. 

• The topic was locked