Light-O-Rama Forums

Case for Pixie16 and 2 P/S'?

brichi

Hey guys, being i want to start a 16 string mega tree I'm thinking i need 2 350 watt power supplies and obviously a pixie16, are there any case you guys are using that fit all that? I use the HolidayCoro ones like everyone else for the pixies and 1 power supply but obviously I'm not fitting 1 16 and 2 power supplies in that case, was wondering if anyone found a good solution for all 3 in 1 vs having 2 separate cases.... Thanks!

Why do you need 2 ps's? If using just 50 pixels per channel you only need 1.

As far as the pixie 16 mounting. I got CG-Cg1500 the largest they make. (Ive looked). I will be mounting the PS in the door with the HC door mount plate and the pixie 16 with the generic HC mount plate on the base side. Its about all that can be done.

I am also going to put a vent kit on my first one as a test.

I just checked, I'm not sure if you have attempted to mount 2 Pixie 16's in the box. Realistically it may be possible. However you will have no access holes to mount from within and it is going to be a royal PITA to get your power cable in around the bottom channels as well as servicing any channel that may need it. I have 2 pixie 16's and will run 2 boxes the same way. (door mount ps and pixie 16 probably centered on base mount.)

JR

Edited by dibblejr

I did find a case I am looking at picking up for $20 that has 2 vents already installed. Since it is not from a name brand distributor and I only know that is just a little smaller than the CG-1500 wont discuss more until I receive it.

I have been all over the net looking and I have seen vented boxes in the $300+ range. Since it is just a tad smaller shouldn't hurt because with only 1 pixie 16 mountable in the CG1500 there is unused space and cheaper with vents already installed. Vent kits are around $20 each.

Gotcha. I may do a 16 foot tree now with 16 strips so it's like 700 watts give or take that I need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where I have boxes outside, I have used standard outdoor electrical boxes.  There is an 8x8xe PVC box on the back of my star that has the E682 controller:
.2014_Top_of_strips-back.jpg

In my case, the power supply is a few feet away under the eves of the house:

Power_supply.sm.jpg

Available at your favorite home improvement store.

• Like 1

I bought some of these for my Matrix Power Supplies. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301599117101?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You can fit 5 with room to work with,  6 if you cram them.  I also have put a Pixcon 16 and 3 power supplies in one the past. 

I then installed one of these with a 12v fan to keep the power supplies from overheating.  Haven't had any issues so far.

http://www.alliedelec.com/bud-industries-ipv-1115/70368863/

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Where I have boxes outside, I have used standard outdoor electrical boxes.  There is an 8x8xe PVC box on the back of my star that has the E682 controller:
.2014_Top_of_strips-back.jpg

In my case, the power supply is a few feet away under the eves of the house:

Power_supply.sm.jpg

Available at your favorite home improvement store.

The E682's and the Pixcon are def smaller than the pixie 16 by almost 2" in width (pixcon) not sure of the dif on the 682. 8x8 would leave us less than 1/4" wiggle room. With my h

1 hour ago, Little_b said:

I bought some of these for my Matrix Power Supplies. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301599117101?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You can fit 5 with room to work with,  6 if you cram them.  I also have put a Pixcon 16 and 3 power supplies in one the past. 

I then installed one of these with a 12v fan to keep the power supplies from overheating.  Haven't had any issues so far.

http://www.alliedelec.com/bud-industries-ipv-1115/70368863/

ands being messed up I need more than that.

OP- someone posted yesterday they were using pixie16's and I asked the question about the box but they never got back. The only viable option at this time is PS separate from controller. Either via two different boxes or ps in door and pixie16 in other side all by its lonesome. For me it will work because I can run a pixie 16 and pixie 4 in that one side.

I sure am glad you posted that link to the bud vent. I had it a few days ago and lost it. On the auction sites they are about $20 each. Thanks I was just about to buy them now that I got my boxes in.

That's an awesomely fast video. I blinked and missed the part where you put the Ethernet switch in. Being new to this pixel stuff, what is the reason behind the switch. Will I need it if I am on all LOR network?

That is new to me.

correct me if I am wrong but the switch can be used for the pixcons but if you have LOR pixie boards with the usb converter you don't use a switch, that are daisy chained

Edited by brichi

5 minutes ago, brichi said:

correct me if I am wrong but the switch can be used for the pixcons but if you have LOR pixie boards with the usb converter you don't use a switch, that are daisy chained

I think you are correct, I forgot hes using the pixcon. I'm sure he will let us know.

Yes, sorry, I was using Pixcon16's in the videos.  I haven't gotten around to my Pixie yet.  I just wanted to show you there are bigger enclosures out there you can use.

I was using the Pixcon 16's with E1.31 network connected directly to my laptop.  The Pixie controllers are daisy chained in with the rest of your controllers on the LOR network.  When using the E1.31 connections the controllers aren't daisy chained so I use the network switch to connect them all to the laptop.

Edited by Little_b
More Info.

I need to start purchasing some stuff, just order 16 5M strips, now I need to get the 2 power supplies, pixie16 and case then all the PVC and stuff to build this monster, can't wait

Just now, brichi said:

I need to start purchasing some stuff, just order 16 5M strips, now I need to get the 2 power supplies, pixie16 and case then all the PVC and stuff to build this monster, can't wait

I got a better deal on the exact same power supplies as listed on a pre sale and had them in three days. Only dif is a decal! I think I paid 4 cents less and free shipping

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brichi said:

Here is another idea to build a tree. I made mine like the one in the video using EMT conduit as the metal 1/2 conduit is stiffer then PVC. Just another idea for you to consider.

Great idea. I was wondering how I would handle the ending at 16 feet. Makes sense using that instead. I'm assuming u used some sort of coupler to make is 16 feet being they're sold in 10 foot sections I believe

2 minutes ago, brichi said:

Great idea. I was wondering how I would handle the ending at 16 feet. Makes sense using that instead. I'm assuming u used some sort of coupler to make is 16 feet being they're sold in 10 foot sections I believe

Yes, in the video it shows a 1/2 coupler.