Light-O-Rama Forums

Case for Pixie16 and 2 P/S'?

brichi

Needed enclousure for 1 PS and yet to purchase Falcon F16v3, which isn't a small boards.  Wasn't happy with how cramp it was going to be and with the id of maybe needing a 2nd PS down the road, starting looking for a larger enclosure, w/o going overboard in size or cost.

Found this $38, Bud Industires 16x12x6 enclusre and just go it today.

Hud Enclusre

I have 3 unused PS and was able to place all 3 in the enclosure, either of 2 ways.  3 lined up, top to botton, horizonally or 1 horizontally and 2 side by side, vertically.   Probably more room if using L brackets for mounting 2 PS on the 2nd option.  With a full 6" depth, you could also double stack 2 PS with brackets that would space the PS apart.  

I'm really happy with the this encluse.  I like the straight smoth sides and the gasketed door.  There a no foam knckouts like on Cable Guard enclusres. With deep sides, give you a lot of area to drill for wire/cable clamps.  You will able to keep these holes well above the boards

• Like 1

I obviously failed to do my homework.I bought CG1500, 400W 12VPSU's  and some smart and dumb RGB's  strings thinking DMX boards to run those.

Do I need an iDMX1000 LOR-DMX Bridge? That will bust my (already busted :rolleyes:) budget on top of boards (not necessarily LOR) for smart and dumb RGB?

I obviously failed to do my homework.I bought CG1500, 400W 12VPSU's  and some smart and dumb RGB's  strings thinking DMX boards to run those.
Do I need an iDMX1000 LOR-DMX Bridge? That will bust my (already busted :rolleyes:) budget on top of boards (not necessarily LOR) for smart and dumb RGB?

Just need to clarify, are you using a Pixie 16 controller? If so, your best option is to run it using LOR Software and intensity data files.

8 hours ago, brichi said:

getting there

1Photo Feb 18, 12 19 05 PM.jpg

Got my enclosures in today, got my plexiglass tonight. Now just need some motherboard risers. Gonna get them from RS tomorrow. I think I'm going to end up having to put my vents on the front of the enclosure just because if mounted on the back it will be a PITA to attach the enclosures to the wall or prop. Lowes is very proud of their plexiglass, it is reflected In the price. I went with about 1/2" at $20.50 each 24x18 cut down to 19.5x14.5 for my box.

1 hour ago, MattBrown said:

Just need to clarify, are you using a Pixie 16 controller? If so, your best option is to run it using LOR Software and intensity data files.

At this time I have no RGB controller, only the 2 AC controllers.  At this time, I am looking for a low cost way into RGB (smart and dumb) control

(NB I have a small yard, so no Massive displays envisioned)

3 hours ago, mpageler said:

Needed enclousure for 1 PS and yet to purchase Falcon F16v3, which isn't a small boards.

I fit a Falcon board very nicely inside a CG1000. 

Great job. Have you tested the pixie16 yet?

Ive been in test mode for 4 days now. I'm awaiting my extensions and then will set my matrix and tree up in the garage.

JR

tested it. all good so far, wiring up the LED strips now so I can plug in all 16 at oncc

the fan is 12v ran right to the power supplies so its always on, ordered a second one for the other side to try and keep the case as cool as possible

Since my box is larger I opted not to put a fan in (yet). I did put a vent towards bottom and top, seemed like it will help with air flow since heat rises. Looks great. Did you have any problems at all with test?

Do you mind sharing your config? I had slight differences but was informed by Mike it is to be expected

yeah no problem, I left all the settings default that came from LOR, I just used the HU to change my unit ID to 0D which was the next channel for me to start at

3 minutes ago, brichi said:

yeah no problem, I left all the settings default that came from LOR, I just used the HU to change my unit ID to 0D which was the next channel for me to start at

I also just changed unit id = 11 for me all in LOR

Brichi good job on the controller box! I am in the process of building by first controller and planning to use the bud industries vent and 60 mm fan as well. I just discovered that some people use a thermistor that connects to the 60mm fan. The thermistor works like a thermostat, the idea, as the temp of the box increases it changes the resistance of the thermistor which allows the currant to power the fan. When the box cools the resistance becomes higher and restricts the currant and shuts off the fan. This is a new concept to me and I'm trying to figure out which thermistor works within the temperature range of a 12v 350 watt power supply. My power supply has a max operating temp of 158 degrees Fahrenheit. If anyone knows which resistor is appropriate for the job please advise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, HBChristmas said:

Brichi good job on the controller box! I am in the process of building by first controller and planning to use the bud industries vent and 60 mm fan as well. I just discovered that some people use a thermistor that connects to the 60mm fan. The thermistor works like a thermostat, the idea, as the temp of the box increases it changes the resistance of the thermistor which allows the currant to power the fan. When the box cools the resistance becomes higher and restricts the currant and shuts off the fan. This is a new concept to me and I'm trying to figure out which thermistor works within the temperature range of a 12v 350 watt power supply. My power supply has a max operating temp of 158 degrees Fahrenheit. If anyone knows which resistor is appropriate for the job please advise?

Here is a good thread. This has been discussed lately I just don't know which thread.

JR

I don't see the harm in just leaving the fan on all the time, I would rather the heat not build up and then the fan have to try and get it out. 

Thanks for the link and information. I'll let you know what I end up with and if it works as planned.