Light-O-Rama Forums

Case for Pixie16 and 2 P/S'?

brichi

Bud Industries has a number of cable/electrical enclosers but at a highter cost than Cable Guard.  Here's one that would work for larger control boards and 2 PS.  You have to way a larger enclusure versus trying to cram everything into a CG-1500 and heat distribution.

Bud 17 x 13 enclosure

1 hour ago, mpageler said:

Bud Industries has a number of cable/electrical enclosers but at a highter cost than Cable Guard.  Here's one that would work for larger control boards and 2 PS.  You have to way a larger enclusure versus trying to cram everything into a CG-1500 and heat distribution.

Bud 17 x 13 enclosure

This link is for the plate not the enclosure. But it was a good start, it got me to looking. I called Bud and was given 4 enclosures that this plate fits, but they are high dollar. $100+ ea.

I then took the info I got from Bud over to Amazon and found a different Bud enclosure that will allow mounting of either 1 PS and 1 Controller or 2 controllers. (Pixie 16's)

https://www.amazon.com/BUD-Industries-NBB-15245-Plastic-Outdoor/dp/B005T57P2C/ref=sr_1_17?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1487182332&sr=1-17&keywords=bud+nbb

$97 free shipping, still a little high but maybe later I will pull the plug who knows. I currently have 2 CG 1500's so I will start with them and see what happens.

I used a cg1500 to mount my pixie board, I than mounted it on the inside wall of a flexible plastic storage container with latches. Same type that you buy from any retailer to store your stuff in.Two 12v 33amp 400w  water proof power supplies were than placed inside the storage container for extra protection. I used a hole saw to cut a hole in the upper wall of the storage container to run my wires. I than cut a strip from an old inner tube and pop ribbed across the hole so that water would run down the wires and not into the container. Storage container  was mounted at the base of the tree. Not as pretty as some of the solutions but everything stayed nice and dry.

thanks guys, I'm going to walk around home depot later and see if i find something i can use otherwise ill grab the $80 from eBay 

52 minutes ago, brichi said:

thanks guys, I'm going to walk around home depot later and see if i find something i can use otherwise ill grab the $80 from eBay 

Just wanted to let you know if you are using 12v you will need 2 ps's. I was thinking 5v the other day. I almost messed myself up too.

2 minutes ago, brichi said:

I just grabbed this from Home Depot for $20, this is the layout I plan on adding the exhaust hole and small fan to suck out the hot air

new box layout

I left you a note in the other thread. Hope you saw it. Just some tips with that box.

3 minutes ago, brichi said:

yes thank you! I'm ordering the vent and fan now too

Also you can go to Home Depot and get some nylon screws PN 138981 8/32 X 1/2" $.56 for pack of 2 (securing the ps) and spacers/ washers PN 423457 .257 X 1/2 X 1/8" (airflow). They are located in the bins in the hardware isle and the bins I believe are blue and say nylon fasteners.

I use these for my model railroading whenever I have to connect something close to the track. Will prevent a chance of shorting something out if you screw into the ps to deep. I also have a plate so you may have to substitute the nylon screws to suit your mounting requirements.

JR

12 hours ago, brichi said:

perfect, I am heading to depot tomorrow for a small 12x12 piece of plexiglass to mount everything too, ill pick them up

FYI- the mounting plate I have were ordered from HC. They are 1/8" thick so if you want to use the above screws try to find your plexiglass in 1/8" thick. Also there are 6 of those nylon washers/ spacer in each pack. I don't know why they couldn't put the same qty in a pack of screws. I just purchased all they had since I will be needing them at some point.

JR

• Like 1

you are running 1 power line in and then jumping to other power supply right? i don't have to do 2-120 separate lines in right? 

21 minutes ago, brichi said:

you are running 1 power line in and then jumping to other power supply right? i don't have to do 2-120 separate lines in right? 

It is only 700W. a 16Ga power cord will do as long as it is under 50' :P

I just got my "Pre-season" order in from HolidayCoro. I ordered some of their "Rainproof"  (12V/5V) PS  so they don't need to be inside the boxes with the PCB as long as you

mount with the :

1)fan end down

2)with the fan end at least a foot above a flat surface  (same as the CTB16PC's outlets) to avoid splash

This keeps major heat out of the box and reduces the size needed for single PCB

I also found a splash resistant Marine Fuse block (uses the same size fuses as the PCB)

Edited by TheDucks
add

I was just pulling out of my driveway and Fedex was delivering my boxes. Email said delivery next Wed! 2 day delivery, very good and not expected.

When I return home I may start my project