brichi

Case for Pixie16 and 2 P/S'?

85 posts in this topic

Hey guys, being i want to start a 16 string mega tree I'm thinking i need 2 350 watt power supplies and obviously a pixie16, are there any case you guys are using that fit all that? I use the HolidayCoro ones like everyone else for the pixies and 1 power supply but obviously I'm not fitting 1 16 and 2 power supplies in that case, was wondering if anyone found a good solution for all 3 in 1 vs having 2 separate cases.... Thanks!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do you need 2 ps's? If using just 50 pixels per channel you only need 1.

As far as the pixie 16 mounting. I got CG-Cg1500 the largest they make. (Ive looked). I will be mounting the PS in the door with the HC door mount plate and the pixie 16 with the generic HC mount plate on the base side. Its about all that can be done.

I am also going to put a vent kit on my first one as a test.

I just checked, I'm not sure if you have attempted to mount 2 Pixie 16's in the box. Realistically it may be possible. However you will have no access holes to mount from within and it is going to be a royal PITA to get your power cable in around the bottom channels as well as servicing any channel that may need it. I have 2 pixie 16's and will run 2 boxes the same way. (door mount ps and pixie 16 probably centered on base mount.)

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did find a case I am looking at picking up for $20 that has 2 vents already installed. Since it is not from a name brand distributor and I only know that is just a little smaller than the CG-1500 wont discuss more until I receive it.

I have been all over the net looking and I have seen vented boxes in the $300+ range. Since it is just a tad smaller shouldn't hurt because with only 1 pixie 16 mountable in the CG1500 there is unused space and cheaper with vents already installed. Vent kits are around $20 each.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotcha. I may do a 16 foot tree now with 16 strips so it's like 700 watts give or take that I need


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where I have boxes outside, I have used standard outdoor electrical boxes.  There is an 8x8xe PVC box on the back of my star that has the E682 controller:
.2014_Top_of_strips-back.jpg

 

In my case, the power supply is a few feet away under the eves of the house:

Power_supply.sm.jpg

 

Available at your favorite home improvement store.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought some of these for my Matrix Power Supplies. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301599117101?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You can fit 5 with room to work with,  6 if you cram them.  I also have put a Pixcon 16 and 3 power supplies in one the past. 

I then installed one of these with a 12v fan to keep the power supplies from overheating.  Haven't had any issues so far.

http://www.alliedelec.com/bud-industries-ipv-1115/70368863/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Where I have boxes outside, I have used standard outdoor electrical boxes.  There is an 8x8xe PVC box on the back of my star that has the E682 controller:
.2014_Top_of_strips-back.jpg

 

In my case, the power supply is a few feet away under the eves of the house:

Power_supply.sm.jpg

 

Available at your favorite home improvement store.

 

The E682's and the Pixcon are def smaller than the pixie 16 by almost 2" in width (pixcon) not sure of the dif on the 682. 8x8 would leave us less than 1/4" wiggle room. With my h

 

1 hour ago, Little_b said:

I bought some of these for my Matrix Power Supplies. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301599117101?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You can fit 5 with room to work with,  6 if you cram them.  I also have put a Pixcon 16 and 3 power supplies in one the past. 

I then installed one of these with a 12v fan to keep the power supplies from overheating.  Haven't had any issues so far.

http://www.alliedelec.com/bud-industries-ipv-1115/70368863/

ands being messed up I need more than that.

OP- someone posted yesterday they were using pixie16's and I asked the question about the box but they never got back. The only viable option at this time is PS separate from controller. Either via two different boxes or ps in door and pixie16 in other side all by its lonesome. For me it will work because I can run a pixie 16 and pixie 4 in that one side.

I sure am glad you posted that link to the bud vent. I had it a few days ago and lost it. On the auction sites they are about $20 each. Thanks I was just about to buy them now that I got my boxes in.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish LOR would make the pixie 16 the same size as the Pixcon 16.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's an awesomely fast video. I blinked and missed the part where you put the Ethernet switch in. Being new to this pixel stuff, what is the reason behind the switch. Will I need it if I am on all LOR network?

That is new to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Little_b said:

Sorry forgot a link to how I made them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy6CZBgaCCU

 

I warned you last month I was going to pick your brain. My roof matrix wont happen, wrong house. My old house would have been great for a roof matrix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

correct me if I am wrong but the switch can be used for the pixcons but if you have LOR pixie boards with the usb converter you don't use a switch, that are daisy chained

Edited by brichi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, brichi said:

correct me if I am wrong but the switch can be used for the pixcons but if you have LOR pixie boards with the usb converter you don't use a switch, that are daisy chained

I think you are correct, I forgot hes using the pixcon. I'm sure he will let us know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, sorry, I was using Pixcon16's in the videos.  I haven't gotten around to my Pixie yet.  I just wanted to show you there are bigger enclosures out there you can use.

I was using the Pixcon 16's with E1.31 network connected directly to my laptop.  The Pixie controllers are daisy chained in with the rest of your controllers on the LOR network.  When using the E1.31 connections the controllers aren't daisy chained so I use the network switch to connect them all to the laptop.

Edited by Little_b
More Info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The switch is for E1.31 networks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to start purchasing some stuff, just order 16 5M strips, now I need to get the 2 power supplies, pixie16 and case then all the PVC and stuff to build this monster, can't wait

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, brichi said:

I need to start purchasing some stuff, just order 16 5M strips, now I need to get the 2 power supplies, pixie16 and case then all the PVC and stuff to build this monster, can't wait

I got a better deal on the exact same power supplies as listed on a pre sale and had them in three days. Only dif is a decal! I think I paid 4 cents less and free shipping

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, brichi said:

I need to start purchasing some stuff, just order 16 5M strips, now I need to get the 2 power supplies, pixie16 and case then all the PVC and stuff to build this monster, can't wait

 

Here is another idea to build a tree. I made mine like the one in the video using EMT conduit as the metal 1/2 conduit is stiffer then PVC. Just another idea for you to consider.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great idea. I was wondering how I would handle the ending at 16 feet. Makes sense using that instead. I'm assuming u used some sort of coupler to make is 16 feet being they're sold in 10 foot sections I believe


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, brichi said:

Great idea. I was wondering how I would handle the ending at 16 feet. Makes sense using that instead. I'm assuming u used some sort of coupler to make is 16 feet being they're sold in 10 foot sections I believe


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, in the video it shows a 1/2 coupler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you have a video of your tree in action? I looked on your page but didn't see

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Bud Industries has a number of cable/electrical enclosers but at a highter cost than Cable Guard.  Here's one that would work for larger control boards and 2 PS.  You have to way a larger enclusure versus trying to cram everything into a CG-1500 and heat distribution.

 Bud 17 x 13 enclosure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mpageler said:

 Bud Industries has a number of cable/electrical enclosers but at a highter cost than Cable Guard.  Here's one that would work for larger control boards and 2 PS.  You have to way a larger enclusure versus trying to cram everything into a CG-1500 and heat distribution.

 Bud 17 x 13 enclosure

This link is for the plate not the enclosure. But it was a good start, it got me to looking. I called Bud and was given 4 enclosures that this plate fits, but they are high dollar. $100+ ea.

I then took the info I got from Bud over to Amazon and found a different Bud enclosure that will allow mounting of either 1 PS and 1 Controller or 2 controllers. (Pixie 16's)

https://www.amazon.com/BUD-Industries-NBB-15245-Plastic-Outdoor/dp/B005T57P2C/ref=sr_1_17?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1487182332&sr=1-17&keywords=bud+nbb

$97 free shipping, still a little high but maybe later I will pull the plug who knows. I currently have 2 CG 1500's so I will start with them and see what happens.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used a cg1500 to mount my pixie board, I than mounted it on the inside wall of a flexible plastic storage container with latches. Same type that you buy from any retailer to store your stuff in.Two 12v 33amp 400w  water proof power supplies were than placed inside the storage container for extra protection. I used a hole saw to cut a hole in the upper wall of the storage container to run my wires. I than cut a strip from an old inner tube and pop ribbed across the hole so that water would run down the wires and not into the container. Storage container  was mounted at the base of the tree. Not as pretty as some of the solutions but everything stayed nice and dry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now