Light-O-Rama Forums

Questions about Pixie 16

Box on Rails

Hi friends. I am looking at getting the Pixie 16 and based on what I have read, it can control a total of 1600 pixels. 100 per channel. what I want to do is convert my vertical dumb strips on my house to smart pixels for better effects and I have 750 dumb pixels to convert. 

Question 1, Will the Pixie 16 control 1600 Pixels?

Question 2, If yes to Q1 will I need to use multiple networks to control all 4800 channels?

Question 3, If I run each unit at 100 pixels will I be able to create a 100 pixel string in the Visualizer or will I have to start using the Pixel editor? 

I have been doing all my house effects with CCP strings going horizontal and  dumb strings running Vertical which makes for great left and right chases. now I want to be able to make up and down effects in addition to left and right. I have been using Visualizer for so long I have been hesitant to dive into the Pixel editor but I have a feeling with the purchase of the Pixie 16 There will be no choice. Correct me if I'm wrong but I have a feeling that with the addition of the Pixie 16 the house now being all smart pixels will become a Matrix? Thanks for the help.

Question 1 - Yes with power injection as the ports are only rated at 4 amps and a ws2811 strip of 50 pulls 3 amps. LORs LPD6803, used on their CCRs pull less power.

Question 2 - You can use on a E1.31 network with a LOR Advanced license or on an LOR Enhanced network (high speed) with a Pro license.

Question 3 - I believe the strips in Visualizer only does 50 but I could be mistaken.

Edited by Mr. P
  • Like 1

Mr. P,  Thank you sir. From my experience with Visualizer's CCP/CCB/CCR simulation only allows for 50 pixels per unit ID so I will probably keep each unit to 50 or less and forgo the Power inject. 16 units at 50 pixels will give me 800 pixels and I do have the advanced license. Will one USB485B adapter be sufficient  to run the network for the 800 channels?

7 hours ago, Box on Rails said:

Mr. P,  Thank you sir. From my experience with Visualizer's CCP/CCB/CCR simulation only allows for 50 pixels per unit ID so I will probably keep each unit to 50 or less and forgo the Power inject. 16 units at 50 pixels will give me 800 pixels and I do have the advanced license. Will one USB485B adapter be sufficient  to run the network for the 800 channels?

If you want to use a USB485 and an LOR network then you will need a Pro license. Pixcon must be used on a ELOR network which is only available with a Pro license.

I knew that but I'm not getting the Pixicon I'm looking at the Pixie 16  http://store.lightorama.com/pismpico2.html It appears that the basic software and one network will run the controller but I was hoping someone who has used this had some solid info on it. 

Edited by Box on Rails

5 minutes ago, Box on Rails said:

You will need a Pro license to use a USB485b as it rquires an ELOR network. An Advanced license will allow it to run on a E1.31 network through the computers ethernet port.

I knew that but I'm not getting the Pixicon I'm looking at the Pixie 16  http://store.lightorama.com/pismpico2.html It appears that the basic software and one network will run the controller but I was hoping someone who has used this had some solid info on it. 

Just now, Box on Rails said:

Sorry, I misread the post. Yes the pixie will work just bump the network speed up.

Box, I built my tree with the Pixie16 connecting 16 strands of 50.  I ran it on one network which also had 3  CTB 16 PC controllers. As Mr. P said just bump the network speed up and it will work fine without lag.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Box on Rails said:

No Problem. Thanks again for the Info. 

I was gonna ask did you read the UM? cdlouke posted a good response. as soon as I get all of my stuff I will have my 2 up for a test. My tree and matrix will all have channels per 50 to KISS method. Maybe by Christmas if I can get sequencing down I will use my tower for a 36 channel 100 pixel nod tree. That's what I am hoping.

9 hours ago, cdlouke said:

Box, I built my tree with the Pixie16 connecting 16 strands of 50.  I ran it on one network which also had 3  CTB 16 PC controllers. As Mr. P said just bump the network speed up and it will work fine without lag.

How did you mount (box). I have my CG 1500 but the pixie 16 and PS will not fit into the base mount so I am mounting my PS in the door. I am looking for options though.

• The topic was locked