Light-O-Rama Forums

Computer type speed

Tony Hefner

Right after Christmas I was flash mobbed by the large group from town. They heard I was going to stop the Christmas display, I was due too having problems with computers and a few ccp,s I didn't want to put a lot money out to keep fixing thing. There were about 200 people there just filling basket with money to use. Not a lot but since cared that much it hard to not keep doing it. So what like is some idea what type of computer would be best to purchase. I'm using a gateway lap top now and using S3 software. Will be going S4 and starting over from scratch. I'm using a 6 ccp,s on a mega tree on one hs network and 8 pc16,s on regular network.  Also are using video as media files projecting video on the garage door. Any information would be helpful, graphics card, speed, memory, what version of windows. Thanks every one lol going to be a long summer and fall getting it all done in time and learning S4.

If my 14 yo laptop will run a show I think just about any modern computer will run.

I just upgraded due to sequence issues with lag and SS but a new computer with Win 10 has other issues like .DLL files missing so once again giving SS a rest until I can get the brand new/ optimized laptop bugs worked out. Total junk IMO- Win 7 platform much easier. Thinking about trashing the new HDD and use my 7 disc.

Current laptop came with Win ME (not too many remember that)!

4 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

If my 14 yo laptop will run a show I think just about any modern computer will run.

I just upgraded due to sequence issues with lag and SS but a new computer with Win 10 has other issues like .DLL files missing so once again giving SS a rest until I can get the brand new/ optimized laptop bugs worked out. Total junk IMO- Win 7 platform much easier. Thinking about trashing the new HDD and use my 7 disc.

Current laptop came with Win ME (not too many remember that)!

Told you so  :D

• Like 1

Just now, Mr. P said:

Nothing else I could do. Had to try something. If I trash this Win 10 HDD at least I have a fast processor and up to date laptop.

blames it on everyone but them! Office Depot "techs" are not helpful, they couldn't even do a clean install. I had to remove all the dumb games. I wish they were closer, Id toss the laptop through their door. It has a 2 year no fault warranty!

4 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Hindsight I should have just stayed old school led's and not ventured into this RGB world. It is what it is and I have too much invested now. No turning back.

7 minutes ago, Tony Hefner said:

The computer I'm using is a gateway NE 71b06u  running windows 10 

url.htm

Looking at the computer specs that computer should be more then enough. What kind of issues are you having?

5 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Looking at the computer specs that computer should be more then enough. What kind of issues are you having?

OS be my best guess! Its funny how my desktop doesn't have any problems, no missing dLL files nadda and it is Win 10. But I need the portability.

When using show editor as soon as a sequence ends it's locks up. Is I put all sequences into one sequence it works OK but then I can't use schedule,  have run it manually in SE. It may be caused by the video. Also intensity files might help. The task manager shows I'm running at 97% as soon as I start a sequence and only 11 % before. Lor is the only program on the computer except the widows installed stuff.

3 minutes ago, Tony Hefner said:

When using show editor as soon as a sequence ends it's locks up. Is I put all sequences into one sequence it works OK but then I can't use schedule,  have run it manually in SE. It may be caused by the video. Also intensity files might help. The task manager shows I'm running at 97% as soon as I start a sequence and only 11 % before. Lor is the only program on the computer except the widows installed stuff.

I looked at the specs and it has 4mb ram. My old laptop has 4mb ram but on Win 7. The new laptop giving me new fits has 16mb ram. It is super fast but came with and still has problems. Really helped me sequence short songs but no good on long, have to revert to old laptop for old songs.

Maybe upgrade your ram memory. Its really become affordable.

I don't know if any of you are using intensity files or not but since I switched completely over to pixels last year I only used intensity files. I ran 4500 pixels last year with no lag at all. None. This year I will be running right around 8000 pixels. My computer is an older HP with 2.6 GHz Windows 7 64 bit system. I did upgrade it to 16 gig of ram. I got the laptop off of eBay refurbished for $215. If you can start using intensity files it does take care of lag!

I think I'm going to get 8 megs of Raman try to go back to windows 8 if I can find the oem software. I'm think I found this original software key for it, would like windows 7 but don't think the key won't work for 7

I do have old xp with the product key. Then update all drivers and install lor s4 so I and use intensity files hope it works better. 

On 2/9/2017 at 6:04 PM, ebrown1972 said:

I don't know if any of you are using intensity files or not but since I switched completely over to pixels last year I only used intensity files. I ran 4500 pixels last year with no lag at all. None. This year I will be running right around 8000 pixels. My computer is an older HP with 2.6 GHz Windows 7 64 bit system. I did upgrade it to 16 gig of ram. I got the laptop off of eBay refurbished for $215. If you can start using intensity files it does take care of lag!

Same here.  In November 2015 after I had most of my show setup, I discovered that a new and really fast song was having lag on my really old XP desktop.  Looked at the Task Manager and found the CPU maxed out.  Re-exported the song as an intensity file and CPU usage was back down to 18%.  For 2016, EVERYTHING was intensity files from SuperStar, and had no problems with CPU performance.  I am planning on replacing the old show computer for 2017 in order to upgrade to Windows 7.  I discovered two issues with Windows XP that would be resolved with Win7 - neither with LOR software.

• 5 months later...

Just digging through and saw this thread and had a quick question

I program on a deck Win10 PC but can't hold that up for a month when i run the actual show every night, Can i use an old win7 pc just to run the show? I figured all its doing really is shooting commands out to controllers that are doing the work and I don't want to buy a separate new pc just to run a show. The LOR mp3 player thing is $260 so thats not an option either, I can buy a pc for that much just to run the show, LOL

I've been running my shows on a Windows 7 machine for years.  Even with 800+ regular AC channels and 5000 or so pixels, there hasn't been any issues as long as I use compressed sequences.  PCs allow infinitely more control than mp3 directors.

awesome thank you, Right now i don't believe my sequences are compressed, I guess if i see an issue i can re-save compressed

2 minutes ago, brichi said:

awesome thank you, Right now i don't believe my sequences are compressed, I guess if i see an issue i can re-save compressed

I'd definitely recommend using compressed sequences if you've got a lot of AC channels and/or any serious amount of pixels.  At the very least, make sure you test your entire show using the Show Player before your first night arrives.