Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie Hardware setup

sibbs

I'm new to this and looking for some direction on what hardware to get.   I've already purchased the license and I've sequenced a few songs, and happy with how they are in the visualizer,  now I'd like to take it to reality.  

My configuration is this,  our Rock Fest campsite has 8 campers,  each camper will be outlined in it's own dumb RBG light.    I like the idea of using the 16 channel controller & MP3 Director, even though this first year I'm only using 8 of the channels.      Are the power chords coming out of that unit AC power chords?    So a dumb RGB ribbon as sold on wowLights would need some kind of power supply to convert to DC?  I guess that's my biggest question  how do I get from the light controller to dumb RGB lights where each 1 of the 8 lights are on its own channel?   

I also have a couple of 4' light bar, 12V Dc as you would put on a vehicle that I would also like to incorporate into the system.     Thinking there I would need a AC to 12V DC30 converter.   Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark

If you're looking to incorporate dumb RGB lights then the LOR 16 channel controller is not the one to use.  That controller controls AC voltage and is used to control regular incandescent and LED bulbs.  For RGB dumb lights the controller you need is this http://store.lightorama.com/cofordurgbde.html.

Along with this controller you will also need a 12VDC power supply to power the controller and RGB dumb strips.  In addition these lights don't sequence the same as you would on a LOR 16 channel controller.  Not any harder just different as you control 3 colors RGB to get the desired colors and effects.

Edited by B.Y.R.G.

You will be dealing with 12V not 120V so WIRE cord  length will be an issue. Those campers need to be close together

Thanks,  ,  each campsite is 20'x30' and we  have 6 together in a block, so they are crammed in tight and close.   Mute point though as  I think I'm going to still go with the LOR1602Wg3-MP3 controller and get the LED light strings you can get on amazon like these,    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SSCF32C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1   they plug in to AC,  I won't be able to change the color but I didn't intend on that anyways.   As for the dumb RGB's, I'll save that for another day as this grows every year.  

One more question,  in our camper configuration I like the idea of plugging in an SD card for and not having to take my pc out there.  I'll build a box to house it in to keep it out of the elements.   Is there an audio cable coming out of the controller box to plug into our stereo system ?  Or does it need to be FM broadcast?  I would rather go with the audio cable if I can. 

Also,  with this particular controller box, as I develop songs and want to test it out,  do I have to transfer over to an SD card and run it from that or can I still use a USB-RS45 adapter and connect the computer to that, and that to the controller?

Thanks! 

• The topic was locked