Light-O-Rama Forums

For Pixel tree, Individual nodes or use strips?

brichi

Hey Guys, So I'm getting into making a 8 foot pixel tree (maybe higher) and was going to use a 5 meter roll of CCRII, cut in half x 8 so I would have 16 strings at 8 feet BUT the more I look into this the more I see people use the individual pixel nodes and the long strips to mount them to. I guess thats the better route to go? I was wondering if anyone has tried just using rolls of CCR's to make a tree

thanks in advance for the input

it depends on what type of tree your building 360 degree or 180 degree  180 like a ccr tree looks better with strips and 360 trees look better with pixels ,just my opinon.

im definitely doing 180 bring it will be up against a fence with no one behind to see so 360 would be a waste

Like everything else in life, there are trade offs to each.  Mine is a 12 string by 50 pixels flat tree built with square node WS2811 pixels mounted into split 3/4 inch PVC pipe.  There is 2.5 inch spacing between pixels.  Take a look at this page for construction details:

http://newburghlights.org/pixel_tree.html

There is a link near the top of the page showing the original 2012/2013 version, if you want to see another way of doing it.  There are a couple videos on this page, so you can see what it looks like:

http://newburghlights.org/Videos.html

thank k6ccc, was mainly curious on pixel nodes vs strips, the building part I have down just not sure if doing 50 individual nodes looks better then doing 50 pixels on a CCR which would be 25 on each Lin so 75 leds obviously

Far as the different look between strips and nodes that's a personal preference.  The major advantage for nodes is they're easier to solder and are more durable when handling than strips.  If you mount the strips on a piece of conduit or PVC then that's increases their durability as they don't flex as much.  That's where you run into problems with strips when they start flexing and being able to seal them up properly after soldering.

i like the ease of the strips but at the same time feel the individual nodes may look better and more precise cause its 50 individual nodes vs a strip the same size being 75 in pairs of 3 so you get more like from the strips but the individual way seems like you get a better resolution if im thinking about this right

2 minutes ago, brichi said:

i like the ease of the strips but at the same time feel the individual nodes may look better and more precise cause its 50 individual nodes vs a strip the same size being 75 in pairs of 3 so you get more like from the strips but the individual way seems like you get a better resolution if im thinking about this right

It's actually the opposite, you will get better resolution from the strips then you do the nodes. If you are wanting to do swirls, waves and things like that then the nodes are nice. However, if you want actual animations and pics then the strips are better.

wow thats great to know, I am definitely looking to do a little animation, words and pics. still playing around with it all. I setup a simple (out of strips i had laying around) 12 strips wide bu 10 pixels vertical (30 nodes) just to test the channels and config, now that i have it down and understand it all i want to order it all like a LOR Pixie8, casing, p/s and 8, 5 meter rolls of strips.  I can do a 8 foot high by 16 strip wide tree, should look nice

Here are some examples, the first is a ribbon tree and the second is a pixel tree. The pixels in the ribbons are closer together so you get a better resolution. The pixels in the pixel tree are further apart and you can see the spacing.

If your going to build a ccr tree you should consider making it like most people 12 or 16 strips  full length strips with 50 pixels per strip there are many sequences available for free and very affordable to buy from places like Holiday Sequences .

• Like 1

+1 on strip for flat tree if looking for animations etc.  I use bullet nodes on my Mega Tree which is strictly effects with no text, pictures, etc.  I highly recommend the sequences from Holidaysequences.com

thank you, im doing a 180 so not totally flat but i still think the strips will look good

Edited by brichi

I put much thought into this same question.  Really did not want to deal with a 20' tree, because i have no current way to get to the top.  My ladder is only 8', and storing a 20' A frame ladder isn't something I want to do.  However, since I really wanted better animation, I went with he stripes anyway.  I have 10 months to figure out how I'm going to erect this without a longer ladder.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have another question:

There seems to be 2 ways of setting up a 16 strip tree.  One is to have each strip on it's own universe, while the other is to fill each universe, which leaves strips on more than one.  I have decided to go with the former, because it just makes more sense to me.  So, how hard is it to convert a sequence set up for the latter to fit one set up to each strip on it's own universe?  Is there a quick trick for this, or should I plan on a lot of copy and paste?

Here's my take on the strips vs individual nodes.  It's all about spacing between lights and how many LEDs come on when you turn on a channel.  As far as I know, when people first started making pixel trees, it was using Cosmic Color Ribbons.  CCRs therefore sort of set the standard.  The CCR has three RGB LEDs per "pixel" with a spacing of just a hair under four inches per pixel, or about 1.3 inches between LEDs.  Viewed for any significant distance, the three RGB LEDs appear almost as a solid strip four inches long.  If you build a pixel tree with individual nodes that is the same size and pixel count as a CCR tree, the spacing will be just under four inches and it definitely looks like individual light sources instead of the almost solid strip.  If you make the pixel spacing smaller, the tree gets back to looking more like a CCR except that each node is individually controlled.  With individual pixels, you can make the spacing (and therefore the total height of the tree) anything you want.  This is a major advantage of individual nodes in my opinion.  In my case, I did not want a tree towering above my single story house, so my pixel tree has 2.5 inch spacing between the pixels which makes the lit portion of the tree just over 10 feet tall.  Add about a foot and a half from the ground to the bottom pixel and a couple feet for the star, and it's still about 15 and a half feet to the very top. 

Like everything, there are advantages and disadvantages to everything.  With individually controlled nodes, it's nice to be able to make a horizontal line that is only one LED wide.  With CCRs, you can't do that.

I would like to increase the pixel density on my tree and have looked at several options.  The obvious answer is more pixels, however how many and how configured is under debate.  A simple answer would be to double the number of nodes to 100, and configure the strings in the E682 controller to have each "pixel" actually be two nodes.  That's a simple change and would not require changing my sequences at all.  Going to 100 nodes would result in very close to the 1.3 inches for LED spacing in a CCR.  I have also thought about changing the channel count - but that has the MAJOR disadvantage that I would have to change all my sequences, and purchased sequences are almost always set up for 50 pixels per string, so any purchased sequences would have to be modified - which at least partially negates the reason for purchasing sequences in the first place.  I have thought about numbers between 85 and 125 pixels per string.  I have not finalized a plan yet.  After I do my taxes and have a better idea how much money I can spend, I will soon make a decision.