Light-O-Rama Forums

need help with my visualization

randy88cougar

i have 2 4 output 1.31 devices from holidaycoro. i want to be able to use these to control might pixel lights on my house. when i use the visualizer set to pixel lights i need to combine 2 of my gutters of 60 pixels into 1 output. and my garage door outline i would like to combine 55 pixels for each door into 1 output. also i have 2 windows with 38 pixels i want to combine into 1 output.i also have 1 gutter that is 100 pixels. my pixel bulbs are from holidaycoro as well. the problem is when i import into SS and i set for 100 my windows with the 38 each combine and in SS when i use instant sequence and use 1 full length morph in the theme. it will react one window at a time instead of acting as 2 seperate windows. i was able to get all the other ones to work right just not that one. also if during import into SS i set it for say 60 the windows will work they way i want but then the 100 pixel gutter obviously it dosent work right. enclosed is my visualization if anyone could help me fix this i would greatly appreciate it. also not sure if i gave enough info. hope i did thanks. ps. i know my universes and prop info is a mess i have been trying all sorts of things to get it to work.

2017 try 12.lee

Randy, I remember working with you a few months ago.  I see some of the issues I pointed out or fixed are still there.  The type of controllers has nothing to do with how SuperStar places elements on the grid.

My biggest suggestion is to learn how to sequence in SuperStar and not depend on Instant Sequence.  You will end up with a far better sequence in the end.  It will also be far more fulfilling to you because it's something you created.  You have 10 months until next Christmas season, so start now.

The next suggestion is to specify locations on the SuperStar sequencing grid from within Visualizer.  That way you can get everything EXACTLY where YOU want it on the grid, and not where SuperStar wants to put it.  Even Brian will tell you that sometimes SuperStar gets interesting in where it places things on the grid.

• Like 1

I'm with K6ccc on this. Learn how to use superstar by sequencing with it instead of using the instant sequence feature. Superstar is easy to learn. Watch Brian's tutorials and it will help a great deal.

yes i do plan on trying to learn SS. but i dont have as much free time as i would like. for now i just want to rely on instant seq. just in case i dont learn the rest. as for instant it is almost exactly what i want for now except for the 2 windows over the garages. would like to figure this out so i can move on to learn the next step. i am not good at learning. and i read everything i think i can. all i know is that it dont make sense that the windows keep merginging into 1 grid line or what ever it is called. i did the same with the garage doors and the other windows and it seems to have worked out. i obviosoly did something wrong just cant figure it out.

As I said earlier, learn how to specify the locations for SuperStar in Visualizer. Then you can place the elements exactly where you want them.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

This is what Jim is talking about. I try to separate each element and place it on the grid in some sort of sensible order. Once you spend the extra bit of time to place things where you want them, it's done. no need to change it unless you add an item or delete one.

Element%20placement_zpsrjtkgf7t.jpg

I too have my elements sorted in superstar to fit where I want it much like Ron has shown above.  When I add an element I am able to Fit it in the holes I have intentionally left in my grid knowing I plan to upgrade sometime in the future.

i love using instant sequence to create some special effects quickly so that I don't have to manually add them.  One of my favorite items is the sunburst 5 colors to the beat.  It creates a beautiful effect on my eaves and gutters.  On a 50 pixel string, every 10 will be the center for this burst.  

The problem is is when I manually place elements on the grid the instant sequence just won't work.  Well, it works but not how I want it to.  The instant sequence expects items on a grid line to be continuous.  So it will place the effect even on empty grid boxes.

I prefer to manually create my sequences but this effect in particular is a favorite of mine.  So, I have come up with a workaround for this and once created proper I save it to the clipboard and now it is a simple cut and paste.  Creation was simple, create a new visualization of only the elements I want the effect on laid out on continuous grid lines...create the effect....copy to clipboard. Done.  If you are not familiar with superstar clipboard it is a lot different than the clipboard in sequence editor.  You can add notes and comments....which will allow you to know what it is much easier.

Point is, instant sequence not so instant.  But that is an effect that is easier to create through instant sequence.

Superstar has come a long way.  Originally created for CCRs we are now able to use it for all kinds of things...but instant sequence is still geared towards that type of CCR grid layout.  We have to overcome those rules.....

So, if you are set on only using instant sequence....try to keep your grid tight and no higher than 10 rows.  Width matters too.  My 100 pixel element does not get sequenced in instant sequence. So you will have to do some trial and error to see how wide you can go.  My bet is 50. 

Goid luck.  Learn superstar and you will be surprised how fast you can create original works.  Then you will join the majority who rarely use instant....

Good luck,

Sax

yes i do plan on trying to learn SS. but i dont have as much free time as i would like. for now i just want to rely on instant seq. just in case i dont learn the rest. as for instant it is almost exactly what i want for now except for the 2 windows over the garages. would like to figure this out so i can move on to learn the next step. i am not good at learning. and i read everything i think i can. all i know is that it dont make sense that the windows keep merginging into 1 grid line or what ever it is called. i did the same with the garage doors and the other windows and it seems to have worked out. i obviosoly did something wrong just cant figure it out.

9 minutes ago, randy88cougar said:

Just don't give up. All I have is free time and I still have a difficult time learning this. Sounds like you have a pretty good start.

On 2/14/2017 at 3:23 AM, Ron Boyd said:

This is what Jim is talking about. I try to separate each element and place it on the grid in some sort of sensible order. Once you spend the extra bit of time to place things where you want them, it's done. no need to change it unless you add an item or delete one.

Element%20placement_zpsrjtkgf7t.jpg

How were you able to do this?

When you open a prop in the visualizer, there is a radio button that is labeled Superstar. Open that and check the box that says "Force Superstar Row/Column" and just tell it where you want it.

In the example above, the 2 elements at the top left are as follows

Row 1, Column 1 (25 pixels)

Row 1, Column 12 (25 pixels)

Row 2 column 23 for the next one to the right. (24 pixels) Since these 4 arches only have 24 pixels each, I start them on row 2. This way I can get a morph across all 3 elements and the timing is exact.

4 hours ago, Ron Boyd said:

When you open a prop in the visualizer, there is a radio button that is labeled Superstar. Open that and check the box that says "Force Superstar Row/Column" and just tell it where you want it.

In the example above, the 2 elements at the top left are as follows

Row 1, Column 1 (25 pixels)

Row 1, Column 12 (25 pixels)

Row 2 column 23 for the next one to the right. (24 pixels) Since these 4 arches only have 24 pixels each, I start them on row 2. This way I can get a morph across all 3 elements and the timing is exact.

I have been trying to mess with that, but could not figure out what was a row and what was a column.

OK the rows are across. Columns are up and down.

This is actually my "Row" Visualization. You don't have to do this in the "Real" one. As long as the channels and Universes are exact, The real will play correctly. So you will Import a visualization pair, Row for one and real for the other. I do all of mine vertical when I import.

For the elements, I do a vertical matrix but, if it is still the case, Superstar does not support a vertical matrix. The way around it is to, Open the Prop dialogue, delete the prop and then regroup it into another prop using the prop satellite button. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't. You only have to do it once and it's done.

I figured it out, finally, when your visualization is Horizontal, you have to reverse the Row and Columns.  Rows will be up/down, columns will be across.

Correct Jerry.  I use only horizontal and I do not import as a pair...only my superstar made visualization.  In that visualization I put the props close to their actual location but I make sure there is room around each.  I do this so I can use the visualization instead of the grid to do Morphs and such.

Another head scratcher is when to apply the superstar command to the prop or the fixture???

I apply to prop.  Test.  If it doesn't work then I apply to fixture. 

• 5 months later...

Ok, i cam back to this. I used the forced rows, i placxed my 10 props on row 1-10 column 1, when i import the viz, all the props are on 3 lines. I make sure and check that there should be 10 rows.

viz.JPG

Bump again

On 8/11/2017 at 7:20 PM, jerry72 said:

Ok, i cam back to this. I used the forced rows, i placxed my 10 props on row 1-10 column 1, when i import the viz, all the props are on 3 lines. I make sure and check that there should be 10 rows.

viz.JPG

Jerry, If I were to hazard a guess, you are only specifying locations for some items. 

As sax pointed out, row vs column is reversed when using horizontal (which I do).

Let me explain the difference between specifying location in the prop vs fixture.  Specifying location in the prop defines the lower left corner of the prop.  Specifying the location of the fixture, defines the location of the lower left corner of the fixture in relation to the prop definition.  Let me give an example and it may make more sense.  For this example, I have a Prop named "Candy Canes" and within it there are six fixtures named "Candy Cane #1", "Candy Cane #2", "Candy Cane #3", "Candy Cane #4", "Candy Cane #5", & "Candy Cane #6".  Each of those three fixtures is 16 pixels wide, and I have my grid in horizontal mode.

Let's say I define the candy Canes Prop to have a specified location in Visualizer of Row 81, Column 31.  Now for each Candy Cane, I specify locations of the fixture and the resulting location on the grid:

Candy Cane #1 is Row 1, Column 6 - resulting in Row 81, Column 36

Candy Cane #2 is Row 1, Column 5 - resulting in Row 81, Column 35

Candy Cane #3 is Row 1, Column 4 - resulting in Row 81, Column 34

Candy Cane #4 is Row 1, Column 3 - resulting in Row 81, Column 33

Candy Cane #5 is Row 1, Column 2 - resulting in Row 81, Column 32

Candy Cane #6 is Row 1, Column 1 - resulting in Row 81, Column 31

Each fixture is placed with a location that starts with the Prop location, and then adds the fixture location (minus 1 - because it counts from one instead of zero).  Using Candy Cane #1 for this detail, the row is 81 (from the prop) + 1 (from the fixture) - 1 (because of weird counting) = 81.  The column is 31 (from the prop) + 6 (from the fixture) - 1 (weird counting) - 36

SuperStar_grid.png

This is my 2017 grid.  Every single prop and fixture has a specified location.

Edited by k6ccc

So i have to set each fixture as well as the prop. I was believing that only the prop had to be designated, not each fixture in the prop.