Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequence Copyright laws??? (split from Music Copyright Laws)

TheDucks

Remember, your personally SEQUENCES are also covered by copyright laws.  You own them.

You can release them for use under the creative commons  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons to allow sharing without the hassle.

BTW be sure to fill in the Author block in the New Animated sequence form.That can help establish authorship.

LOR

How about a Released under Creative Commons option on that form

36 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

BTW be sure to fill in the Author block in the New Animated sequence form.That can help establish authorship....

Not that I don't give the credit to someone who may have shared with me, but this doesn't do much. I always start a new sequence and then copy/paste shared channels I might use into my new sequence. 

If purchased, I just won't share any, no matter how much of it I used & how much I added to it. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

Not that I don't give the credit to someone who may have shared with me, but this doesn't do much. I always start a new sequence and then copy/paste shared channels I might use into my new sequence. 

If purchased, I just won't share any, no matter how much of it I used & how much I added to it. 

Yep, filling out the Author info section does nothing because you can copy paste into a new sequence, thus making you the author. It just keeps honest people honest.

JR

34 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Yep, filling out the Author info section does nothing because you can copy paste into a new sequence, thus making you the author. It just keeps honest people honest.

JR

There are those that aren't smart enough to do that, how most of them got caught.

4 minutes ago, caniac said:

There are those that aren't smart enough to do that, how most of them got caught.

Yes, all of those 1 post wonders requesting sequences under aliases. when I was new I didn't know how too, or didn't want to ask for a sequence so makes me understand what is actually taking place.

I believe one of my first posts was something like "new here can somebody show me how to make a sequence" or something like that. At that time Chuck jumped on board and did the hard work even though I just wanted to "learn". And since he shared sequences with me I did not edit anything on that form. I did edit my saved title so I knew that I had modified it to my lights.

I keep folders separate, seq's shared with me from (name), seq I purchased (name), seq that (name) authorized me to share, seq I made and can share. Every file pertaining to aforementioned seq is contained within that folder lyric sheet, pgo , dat and all. (Once again proving ownership/ my original work) in case it ever came up.

10 hours ago, lightingnewb said:

Have any of you dabbled in file encryption?

Don't even think that.

Head on over to mobileread.com to see what can o worms that causes. :o people with different brands of e-reader. 1st you have (file) format issues. Then you have device encryption (DRM) issues. Even if the book is in the same format and uses the same underlying encryption. The brand does the DRM key different.  .

On 2/4/2017 at 11:24 AM, dibblejr said:

JR

Your ORIGINAL (archived) will establish the TIME&DATE. of creation.

You did make a great point with Paste: I believe (not a Lawyer ) the '2 bars' was a threshold for music. And since sequences can be done to music....

It does not hurt to note 'credits/thanks' in the notes.when contributions are included.

and all is pretty  moot unless the sequence is being sold.. Not much 'royalty' to recover

1 minute ago, TheDucks said:

Your ORIGINAL (archived) will establish the TIME&DATE. of creation.

You did make a great point with Paste: I believe (not a Lawyer ) the '2 bars' was a threshold for music. And since sequences can be done to music....

It does not hurt to note 'credits/thanks' in the notes.when contributions are included.

and all is pretty  moot unless the sequence is being sold.. Not much 'royalty' to recover

There is software that will allow you to change the date and time as well as other information. I used to use it all the time.  Best bet if caught is contact the company or entity they sell for like ebay etc.

That is why I keep all of my Papagayo files- once again "proof of work". And who would ever think about creating sequences to some of the songs I did? Pretty obvious.

JR

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Don't even think that.

Head on over to mobileread.com to see what can o worms that causes. :o people with different brands of e-reader. 1st you have (file) format issues. Then you have device encryption (DRM) issues. Even if the book is in the same format and uses the same underlying encryption. The brand does the DRM key different.  .

I think you can specifically encrypt LOR files within the SE... Might need Advanced License level though.

On 2/6/2017 at 5:34 PM, lightingnewb said:

I think you can specifically encrypt LOR files within the SE... Might need Advanced License level though.

No encryption through LOR software.

Protected is the only option maybe for sellers but it feels terrible to try to share.

Just looking at a test "protected" sequence in my screen made me rethink. 

I will just report to LOR and the sellers store if I stumble across one of mine for sale.

Spending 8- ..., hours to sync singing faces to share with people needing them just to have someone get my work for free and charge unsuspecting people is well worth the effort to shut their con down.