Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie4 Network Requirements

sticks4legs

I'm looking at adding a few RGB snowflakes next year with around 70-80 pixels on each.  Looking to add 4 in total.  

I read that the Pixie4 will run on the traditional or enhanced LOR network.  I currently use an ELL from my computer outside to eliminate the wire.  If I remember correctly it has limited network speeds, (115K I believe)  Will a Pixie4 work at these speeds properly or will I required a wired network with high speed usb adapter.

Currently the LOR network only has 2 CTB16, the rest is running on LAN based e1.31

LOR advises being careful not to run too many pixels through ELLs.  It gets real easy to sequence too many commands with pixels.  I suppose you can give it a try and see how it works for your application.

My advice would be to go the enhanced network route using the high speed adaptor.  I've got a Pixie4 running a single-prop with 90 pixels that works just fine in a sparsely populated 115K network.  I tried the same Pixie4 with four 66-pixel props and it choked with anything less than a high speed network.

Thanks for the response.

The LOR network would have my singing faces on it so any lag would look horrible.  I'll look into a second network or HS network.