Light-O-Rama Forums

Spt extension cords

Jeffery m

The Rib edge  (single or grooved) of the SPT wire is the wide blade on both Plug and socket.

This is important in that standard (120V) screw-in bulbs have this connected to the 'shell' (also silver screw) to reduce shock hazards

Be sure to allow enough space for oversized plugs (AKA Wall wort's)

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, silver screw {or white screw as some may call it} on an electrical outlet is the wide blade side and is the neutral,  same for the ridged side or marked line {sometimes red band/broken stripes, sometimes solid white line, sometimes white band/broken stripes, but can even be blue or yellow band/broken stripes at times} along a wire is usually most always the neutral side, which is in most cases. always the white wire{silver/white screw} in electrical ~120VAC~ wiring, but not always, depends on wiring/outlet manufacturer, at times some do, and have gotten it incorrect, but it's not common.

The dark screw{usually a dark copper color}, or solid black wire is the small blade and the Hot side.

The green screw or wire color is always the ground wire, that is, if a ground is used, but usually there is no ground, since it is not necessary for 99% of the Holiday lights we use.  On one occasion I did get a brand new blow mold with a grounded plug on it, but that is usually a very rare occurrence, at least it has been with all the blow molds I've purchased over the years.

Oh, as per spacing, nothing set in stone on that, make them the length you need, just don't run them parallel or directly alongside your cat5 connections, unless you've got some really good shielded cat5 cables, the ~AC~ line cords can sometimes disrupt the signal in the cat5 going to each controller.    I try to keep my cat5 and ~AC~ power cords at least 6" at a minimum away from each other, as well as try not to allow them to cross if at all possible over each other for the same reason.

Edited by Orville