Light-O-Rama Forums

2017 Display!

DisneyMatt10

Well, it's that time of year again. . . Time when we all start planning, and sequencing our light show for this coming Christmas!! I have finally got all of the additions to this year's light show planned out! I thought instead of just doing a "It's December look what I've done" thread, I figured, why not have a thread through out the year to show the progress on props and such. So that's basically what this thread is! It's a progress throughout the year thread, with the final "reveal" in November! So, on with the first update:

Tonight my Holiday Coro shipment came in, which was very surprising! It was my "pre-season sale" order so I wasn't expecting it until the summer! But BAM! Here it is!

16427526_10158457896155643_3170849971388

Ohhh boxes!! This is like Christmas for me!

16387153_10158457896150643_3576272137448

Soooo many goodies!! 

16388394_10158457896160643_8703630171675

Ohhhh, what have I got myself into?! I tested the controllers, and some of the lights, and moved on to other things!! Things like.... This:

16473868_10158458971305643_7292043019581

What in the world have I got myself into!? I have 8 of these to figure out?! How am I going to do it?

16463414_10158458972680643_7835332860660

Ohhh, I'm sure this will help! Off to build the first "candy cane" Wish me luck! I'll have an update for you all soon!
~Matt

• Like 3

Dang!  I'm not seeing the pictures.  Just a bunch of numbers where it looks like the pics should be.  Are they linked through FB or something?

HC makes some nice  'Paint by the Numbers" props. Those silk screens leave little to puzzle over.

I even see IN and OUT connection locations.  Seems a lot simpler than some of the Heathkits I built in time past.

30 minutes ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

Dang!  I'm not seeing the pictures.  Just a bunch of numbers where it looks like the pics should be.  Are they linked through FB or something?

:( pictures do not show if you us MS Edge.  Fine in Firefox and IE

Well then, don't use Edge.  I normally use Firefox anyway and don't have anything with Edge on it so no issue here...

• Like 1

Just now, k6ccc said:

Well then, don't use Edge.  I normally use Firefox anyway and don't have anything with Edge on it so no issue here...

I just did the test.  FF is still my main browser, even though M$ tries to get me (nag screen) to switch every week

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that the images are not working for everyone!! I'll take a look at it when I get home!

I think edge tighten up on content from different locations. When I inspect the image source, it was not hosted at the same place as this forum

Posting the link, just shows the image on FF

19 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

I think edge tighten up on content from different locations. When I inspect the image source, it was not hosted at the same place as this forum

Posting the link, just shows the image on FF

Most of the photos on the forum are not coming from the forum because of the small file storage limit as part of the forum.  A lot of people upload photos to a public photo sharing site, or cloud storage site (photobucket, dropbox, Google Drive, etc) or to some other website.  Essentially every photo I include comes from one of my website and is linked.  Even my signature block below is actually a pair of graphics files coming from one of my websites.

Well, I was going to go back and edit the photos, but of course, I can't edit the post. :angry: You all really didn't miss much. It were a few post of my first coro cane that I am working on. To bring us a little more up to date, I have successfully cut all of the coro canes out of their sheets, and now I am getting ready to head to work so I can use a band saw to quickly, and very straightly cut all the dividers, and the white edges for the canes. 

Here is a current look at the canes:

candycane.png

I have 8 of these to get made, and I'm hoping to have at least all the lights installed on all of them, and maybe some sides by the end of the night. So much more work left to do. Also, HC claims these things only take 15 minutes each to put together. :lol: They got jokes. I couldn't even get one cut out in 15 minutes let alone fully assembled! I'll have another update this evening for you all, as well as hopefully some testing photos!! :huh:

~Matt

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally got ONE of the corocanes finished. I think it turned out great. Can't wait to have these in the show!! 

Here's a quick preview:

17264312_10158902845405643_7441892644491

Very nice!   Almost a month and a half since your last post better step up the production rate if you're going to make Christmas.....hahah!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

Very nice!   Almost a month and a half since your last post better step up the production rate if you're going to make Christmas.....hahah!

Haha, I was thinking the same thing!! December will be here before we know it. But you know how life is, things never go as planned. Hoping to have more free time after next Friday, which means I should be able to get the rest of the canes done by the end of next weekend! *hopefully*

What lights are you using?

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 4:10 PM, TheDucks said:

:( pictures do not show if you us MS Edge.  Fine in Firefox and IE

Displayed in Edge just fine here.

-Gary-

• 2 months later...

Well, time for a bit of an update. 

Life has been a bit busy lately. . . Okay, life has been a LOT busy lately, and I've sadly let the light show fall by the way side. That being said, I am getting back into the grove of things, and getting back to focusing on the light show. Sadly, I thought I had fix my issue from earlier, but turns out I didn't. . . So I am having to re-sequence everything for this year, including all the new props. Which is a bit annoying. But oh well, nothing I can do about it. That being said... On with the update:

Candy canes:

• So far I only have 2 candy canes fully complete, (As seen in photo below) but I have all the lights in place, and all the edges, and inserts cut out. Spending tonight getting 2 more candy canes made. Once those two are complete I will only have 2 more to get put together before being finished with the canes for this year.

Mini-Spiral-Tree-Things:

• Again, I've only got one of the mini spiral tree things made so far. (As seen in photo below) 21 more to make. Thankfully those are the easiest to make. Hoping to get at least 5-10 of those made tonight. The one I do have made I got plugged in, and tested last night, and it looks a lot better than I was expecting!! 

17361837_10158907240335643_3820159909725

Wreaths:

• I'm going to have 5 wreaths covered in pixel nodes on the house this year, which will fill in some "dark" spaces I had. Last night I got one of the 35" (medium sized) wreaths finished! I got about 100 intelligent nodes all zip-tied in place (as seen in the photo below) so that the wind and elements should mess up the pattern of the lights.

18767492_10159268582165643_3148759498711

Controllers, Wiring, and More:

• We have managed to get the two new AlphaPix controllers mounted on the wall in the garage, pictured below (where they stay 365 days a year.) Finally got all of the controllers on the network, and running the right way. So that's a huge step forward for me! :)

18739940_10159268759590643_6150397950061

I think that's all I've got for now. But I'm finally getting back into the swing of things, and all props should be done by the end of June (at the latest!) 

Thanks for following along!
~Matt