Light-O-Rama Forums

Tired of breaking RJ45 Connectors

Bizywk

It seems that disassembling daisy chain data connectors from LOR AC controllers will inevitably tear the locking ear off the first RJ45 connector that gets pulled back through due to the small hole at the bottom.  I always caution my help to take care, but it happens more often than not and I spend a couple hours fixing all the broken cables in January.   Last year I tried the waterproof dongle from LOR on two controllers with good success, but they're a bit expensive if you've got more than just 2 or 3 controllers.   I think this year, I'm going to install 12" RJ45 cables to exit the case and always remain in place year after year, then use RJ45 butt connectors to join that cable to my daisy chain data run.   I use plastic bags over the controllers anyway so they will remain high and dry, or I could even install a Styrofoam cup as a bell over the external connection as another safety measure. If I get corrosion or dirt in the connector, it will be in the butt connector which can quickly and cheaply be replaced.    

Are there any other solutions out there?  

Be sure to strain relief your pigtail, (you could cable tie it to the screw on the power  cord CLAMP.. IMHO do not tie direct to the power cords because of line noise).

If you don't, any  force will still do harm

OK, I stopped down at Fry's and grabbed a bag plastic cable clamps.

I used the Power clamp screw (left loose for photo). The screw is a tight fit, but it drills thru the plactic just fine

DSCN1190 SM.JPG

it's almost a bit remiss of lightorama to not include the rj45 dongles on their ready to go boxes.

I've used Ethernet-LAN-RJ45-Jack-to-Jack-Outdoor-Waterproof-Connector-M20 , with a short network cable, on all my other boxes. Also saves having to open box to connect/disconnect cables.

• Like 1

Strain relief on the cable is a MUST - I agree.  Otherwise, we risk damage to the PCB data connector which draws all of its mounting strength from the fragile soldered data pins.  Your clamp idea is pretty clever and beats wire ties which require cutters at some point.   

I'm talking about breaking the connectors during the post season tear-down when we have to fish the cables back out of the box.  The space is limited and it take a bit of finesse and luck to get the first of the two connectors out without catching the tab on the way out and bending it backwards or breaking it off in the cold.

An exterior connection like OzAz's solution really seems like the way to go.  Looking for the cheapest method to accomplish this.

The only controllers I have with a potential for pulling on the connectors are three CCP controllers.  To get to the connectors requires removing eight screws so after the first year, I added the LOR dongles.  The controllers are mounted to wooden stakes and I tie the Cat-5  cables to the stake (a clove hitch for you knot experts).  That way if I trip on a cable, it's not going to pull on the connector in the controller.  I also stake the cables to the ground every few feet with the cheap crap tent stakes that are just a 3/16 inch rod with a hook at the top end.  That makes it pretty hard to trip on one anyway.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2017 at 1:40 PM, Bizywk said:

I use plastic bags over the controllers anyway so they will remain high and dry, or I could even install a Styrofoam cup as a bell over the external connection as another safety measure. If I get corrosion or dirt in the connector, it will be in the butt connector which can quickly and cheaply be replaced. 

Be careful when using plastic bags that you need air circulation, or the bags will trap moisture from condensation. There isn't any good reason to use a plastic bag over the standard controller cases, because they are very weatherproof. The Styrofoam cup idea sounds good, as it will keep the rain out, but still allow air to flow, which will keep the connectors dry.

I have same RJ45 butt connectors on the ground, and I spray Corrosion-X into them. That seems to keep them working all season.

• The topic was locked