Light-O-Rama Forums

Computer won't recognize controller

captaind

It has been a few years since I have done light sequences.  I am running LOR 2.9.4 software.  I connected the controller and the computer would not recognize it.   I  know I have used this particular computer before to sequence and put id's on my controllers.  I have downloaded and installed the drivers on the website, but still have had no success getting the computer to recognize the controllers.   May be something simple, but all help is appreciated. 

Edited by captaind
Entered wrong software

There is no such thing as LOR 9.9.4 software.  The latest release is 4.3.18.

What kind of controller, and how are your connecting it?  Assuming you are using a LOR USB-RS485 adapter.  Does the Windows device manager recognize the USB adapter and assign a comm port number to it?  Until Windows recognizes the USB adapter, the LOR software will never be able to communicate with the controllers.  Is the status LED on the controller solid or blinking?

capaind, thanks for giving us more details - it does help in troubleshooting.  That is most likely a cable or connector problem.  Start with the simple stuff.  Swap to a different Cat-5 cable.  Visually look at the RJ-45 connectors on the controller to make sure the pins are not damaged or out of position.  Try moving the cable at the controller end to the other RJ-45 on that controller.  I assume you are using the Hardware Utility to attempt communication.  If you have a spare USB-RS485 adapter, try that.  Note that a different adapter may come up with a different comm port number.

Another possibility is a failed USB adapter or communications controller chip in the controller.  In your first post you used the plural for controllers.  If I read that right and you have more than one controller, try a different controller.  Until you have valid communications, only test with one controller at a time - helps to avoid getting confused by multiple problems.

Gotta run - dinner called...

I have tried all the things mentioned in your first paragraph. I will try a different Cat-5 cable again tomorrow.   And yes, it is multiple controllers.  3 so far.  I've done everything I know to do, without success.  I appreciate all your help. Thanks.  

Have you run the Hardware utility and had it detect the current comm port being used.?  Windows may have changed the number from what LOR expects.