Light-O-Rama Forums

New 4 port MP3

Trickyd

Hello Lightorama

How is the progress on the new MP3 player?

•  
  • Hardware support for new MP3 4 port director (not yet released)  <<<<<<<<<<<<<=============
  • I

Are more details known already? Release date scheduled yet?

As my setup is stand alone and unguided,  it gets to the limits of the G3MP3, which I love by the way for the idiotproof action until now,  I have to decide to go with Lightorama this year or to look for alternatives.

Dick de Wit

The Netherlands

Why not just use a computer?  A fraction of the cost of a G3 director and far more capability?

The location of the show is in a home for older people, a few miles away, it has to start on powerdown/powerup,  whatever happens. It is directed by a table with three red big buttons.

At this moment there is an enclosure, which containes, G3mp3 director, a few idmx 1000 , two Sandevices Elor, audio amplifiers and has to be totally idiotproof.  A G3mp3 does the work perfectely, but as the show increases with even more pixels, it is hard to figure out what is the maximum possible in this configuration. I have the feeling I am at the edges of the capability. And I do not trust any pc to be so failproof.

I have a pc ready to do the trick, but people caring for older people having to restart a computer and get it running is to much to ask.

But thank you for thinking with mee.

Dick

I understand the requirement to be idiot-resistant.  Can't make it idiot-proof because they keep coming up with better idiots!

Getting a PC to startup on powerup, log on and start LOR is no big deal.  Same thing with a scheduled re-boot.  And there are a variety of ways to remotely access a PC as long as you can get internet access.

My 90 YO aunt has no problem using her computer.  Why should a caregiver who is much younger have problems rebooting?  We spent Millions of $ 'teaching computers' in our schools since the 80's. Basic operation should not be an issue.  A CHD Icon in the screen center for the rest  (that is nor autostart)

That said.:

My LOR (XP) PC ran from Nov to Jan 1 without a reboot.   Reboots are needed if you do updates. If you are NOT connected to a LAN/WAN, you can delay doing updates since the risk of infections is low.  

If you need remote access, there is Remote desktop connection (Windows Pro to host, any OS to use) or VNC (any OS) if you are WAN accessible. or use Dialup  (as long as you are not graphics intense)

29 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Why should a caregiver who is much younger have problems rebooting?  We spent Millions of $ 'teaching computers' in our schools since the 80's. Basic operation should not be an issue. 

You would be surprised. I graduated in 83 and they weren't teaching computers to everyone.

So for me, 32 years in military/federal jobs, I've learned to use computers, after I graduated high school.

It doesn't matter on age. It matters on what you learned in the past up to that age. If you never had a need for a computer, you didn't learn to use one.

There was actually a point in life where the world operated without computers and cell phones. Today, the younger generation has no idea how to operate without them.

Just sayin...

Edited by Santas Helper

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

My LOR (XP) PC ran from Nov to Jan 1 without a reboot.   Reboots are needed if you do updates. If you are NOT connected to a LAN/WAN, you can delay doing updates since the risk of infections is low. 

There is more of a need for re-boots than just updates.  One nice thing about XP is no more updates causing problems.  My show computer is currently XP, but for several reasons, I plan on replacing it later this year.  I expect to go to Windows 7 (specifically to avoid Win8.x or Win10).  I have the show PC re-boot every afternoon.  My server (Windows Server 2012r2) gets re-booted every Friday afternoon.

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

If you need remote access, there is Remote desktop connection (Windows Pro to host, any OS to use) or VNC (any OS) if you are WAN accessible. or use Dialup  (as long as you are not graphics intense)

I've used VNC for years.  If coming from the internet, it takes some steps to get through the firewall, but I can do it when needed - even from my phone.

Hello All, 

All wise statements to be considered. It is only 9 months to decide what will be the best. So I will keep listening to all of you very well.

It is a location without network connections, in a garden within the facility. Anyone can get there inside, thats what I meant with the need to be idiot-proof/resistant.  All electronics are inside a glasfiber reinforced waterproof box, pretty strong, how to build a pc in there brings me to the concern of cooling.

Thank you very much for thinking with me.

Dick

• 5 months later...

Hello all

did someone see the new 4port mp3 on the last show? Or a prototype?

dick

• Like 1

• The topic was locked