Light-O-Rama Forums

Easier way to create a 1 bar VU Meter?

brichi

k6ccc ill give that a shot too, I can't get Spex to do what I need, not sure what I'm doing wrong, I follow it all and get results just not the ones I am looking to do for this particular prop, for others it will work great I'm sure

3 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Thank you Bob (other than getting my ID wrong :) ).  Note that although it sounds like a lot of steps, because you don't have to close the Wizard and start over for each level, it goes pretty fast.  I'm quite certain that I could have done the 10 bar graph that I described a few hours ago in less time than it took to type up the procedure (and I type pretty fast).

If you really can't figure it out, PM me a phone number and when to call and I'll help you with it.

I was debating if I should say Jim or Mij for a while.  :P 

k6ccc, I see what you mean, I created a quick preview of 20 pixels then went into VU Wizard and applied the middle of the peak threshold total then inched it up little by little applying the next step to the next pixel. now I just need to assign red/yellow/green to them so it looks like a real meter.

Bob thank you also for the input, the software is great. looking forward to using it

By George, I think you've got it!

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

I am just putting the finishing touches on a sequence that I used as an effect for my new matrix. I wanted the matrix to show a spectrum analyzer effects throughout the entire song. The video below is snippet of the result.

I used the methods explained in the thread shown below. In Jinx 2.4, I used the Spectrum Analyzer effect to create what I did in the video. I just checked Jinx 2.4 and it will do an effect call Audio VU Meter, that you can set to Mono for 1 bar only. I didn't see a way to increase the height of the effect. You maybe able to use the screen capture program to extend the height. In Jinx you can control Gain, Peak Hold and 3 colors for Low, Mid and High.

The only way I could do this effect was to record the screen, save it as a gif, then use that gif in Pixel Editor. For me this was acceptable because the only effect I wanted on the matrix was the spectrum analyzer effect so no worries for trying to sequence in both on SS and PE.

A note about Jinx 2.4 and sounds. As stated in the FAQ's for Jinx, the sound card needed to see the "Audio Triggered" effects work requires a sound card that provides loopback through the sound card, Not all sound cards have this. The FAQ will point you to a website for VB-Cables. There you can download a "virtual" cable (software) that will allow your sound card to work with Jinx Audio triggered effects. Be sure to install the correct version. ie 32 or 64 bit.

If this is not what you had in mind, then disregard. Seeing that this is a thread about VU meters I wanted show another way to create these effects.

Alan...

Edit, the only sounds on the video are the wife and her thread mill. I didn't dub any music to it.

A link to the thread that explains doing screen recording with Jinx.

Edited by default

ok new one guys, now that i have that down pat, how can i do a single output ramp up and down based on the vocal

for example, I want to use Mariahs voice (i have the accapella) and have my windows fade up and down following the pitch in her voice so instead of a VU meter with 20 leds I'm trying now to program an entire window to follow the ups and downs in the vocal instead of manually setting fades overtime her voice changes, which is  ALOT, lol

all i want for christmas is you, I'm using the real track obviously but also grabbed the instrumental and accaeppella so i can do VU meter stuff more accurately based on if i want the vocal to be followed or the steady 32 beat drum

If I understand what you are trying to do, Bob's SepEx is the only thing I know of that might do it.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

• Like 1

7 hours ago, k6ccc said:

If I understand what you are trying to do, Bob's SepEx is the only thing I know of that might do it.

That almost makes for a bad typo, when I first glanced I thought it was rated PG13 LOL autocorrect is always trying to change the spelling.

Actually that was me.  I was remembering Bob's program to be SepEx rather than SpEx.  Yes you are right that Android sometimes has a field day with technical writing.

And get you mind out of the gutter - and come back to the sewer, where there's running water...

:)

• Like 1

Hey bob thank you so much for the video, definitely helped me understand a lot more of your program. 

what I am looking to do I guess is set it up as 1 string, 1 rgb (ur minimum is 6) so I can copy and paste that 1 rgb channel into a complete window output. I wanted all of the 50 pixels to ramp up and down all at the same time based on her voice going higher or lower so the higher her voice gets the brighter the window lights up. The way I did it following your video it lights up specific pixels on the window based on her voice, I would like to do all pixels at once up and down. 

thanks again, that seemed to work better, I was able to import the channel config and then paste the Spex results into 1 rgb row so they are all lit at the same time vs different pixels lighting up based on vocal key. I'm going to start fresh now that I have a little but better idea