Light-O-Rama Forums

Wrapping porch poles with pixels

Wayne K

I have 5 poles on my front porch that I have wrapped with white, red, green rope light for years and the last 5 or 6 with led rope light. The poles are about 5-6 inches in diameter. In my case 18 foot of rope light works out good for length. I am thinking of wrapping them with smart pixels this year. I bought a bunch with 3 inch spacing and I am thinking about using them. Has anyone wrapped there porch poles with pixels? and how did it look? If anyone has done this, did you just use 1 string of pixels or did you parallel 2 or 3 strings down the poles.

Any info or video's would be appriciated

Thanks

Wayne

Edited by Wayne K

Check out this video at about the 1:55 mark. I did this last Christmas and it worked out great. However, I used incandescent lights. I'm not sure if it would be to much strain on pixels.

I am switching to pixel this year as well and though about trying these. http://www.boscoyostudio.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_30&products_id=42. Probably zip tie pvc on both sides to create a gap between the panel and pillar for the extra wire. Just a thought, yet to test. Open to other ideas.

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Wayne K said:

I have 5 poles on my front porch that I have wrapped with white, red, green rope light for years and the last 5 or 6 with led rope light. The poles are about 5-6 inches in diameter. In my case 18 foot of rope light works out good for length. I am thinking of wrapping them with smart pixels this year. I bought a bunch with 3 inch spacing and I am thinking about using them. Has anyone wrapped there porch poles with pixels? and how did it look? If anyone has done this, did you just use 1 string of pixels or did you parallel 2 or 3 strings down the poles.

Any info or video's would be appriciated

Thanks

Wayne

If your going to use smart pixels it would be easier to program the strings vertically in a zig zag pattern if you wrap the pole you really won't know where the pixels are to program them .

• 3 weeks later...

I have been trying to attach a picture with no luck. Can anyone tell me what the picture size limit is and what format to paste a pic in this forum is?

Thanks wayne

18 minutes ago, Wayne K said:

I have been trying to attach a picture with no luck. Can anyone tell me what the picture size limit is and what format to paste a pic in this forum is?

Thanks wayne

Best way is to host it on a site like Photobucket and then copy the URL link and paste it here.

i use photobucket for over 10 years, it's free

JR

Take a look at Holidaycoro's "pixnode net".  comes in 4ft x 8ft sheets and in eith 2 or 3 inch pixel spacing. It's basically plastics snow/safety fencing witgh pre-drill holes for pixesl.  I got some to wrap 3 trunks of a clump birch tree.  Since I really only neeed lights from the street side of the tree, I cut the net into 1ft x 8ft strips.  Using 3" spaced net, I will have 4x31 pixels per net strip.  You're basically doing a narrow matrix and program would be easier IMO. Pixels clip in and hold real nice and can roll the net strips, even with pixels install, into a pretty tight roll for starte I figured I will just used some lightweight bungie core to hold the nets on the tree.   In my display, I look for quick install/uninstall.  

On 2/18/2017 at 8:38 AM, dibblejr said:

Best way is to host it on a site like Photobucket and then copy the URL link and paste it here.

i use photobucket for over 10 years, it's free

JR

Thanks dibblejr that is what I have done to get them on here.

Here are pictures of my porch poles. They are only about 5-6 inches in diameter. I am not sure the pixnode net would give me the effect that I like with the rope light.

IMG_3004_zps7tffegva.jpg

IMG_3005_zpsyiafu8lo.jpg

7 hours ago, Wayne K said:

Thanks dibblejr that is what I have done to get them on here.

Here are pictures of my porch poles. They are only about 5-6 inches in diameter. I am not sure the pixnode net would give me the effect that I like with the rope light.

IMG_3004_zps7tffegva.jpg

IMG_3005_zpsyiafu8lo.jpg

There is an option that may work. You would have to imagine it and make it work.

Boscoyo has a 3 Arch layout. It appears to be done on some sort of round stock or roll able. Maybe it would cover your columns. Sorry no link but if you go on the website and look at the new products. Also not sure of your budget but they are mostly affordable.

JR