Light-O-Rama Forums

Configuring a Pixie4

Gary Levelius

Just wondering a few things. As I read the documentation for the Pixie controllers, it indicates they can emulate a CCR (of which I have two currently). I have sequences which will run perfectly on the original CCR controllers but I can't get them to work no matter how I configure the pixie controller. The manual is close to useless as it seems to be written by software engineers for software engineers and not normal users. Also, Pixie4 and Pixie 4D are used interchangeably in the documentation. What's the difference? Any help you be appreciated!

I'm using 50 count pixel strings with 2811B IC's controlling each pixel. The controller is a Pixie4. Software is 4.3.18 Pro

Edited by Gary Levelius

I hate to hear this since I am awaiting 2 pixie16's. Adding more complications to my already complicated new to RGB self.

I thought they are sup to be pretty much plug and play

JR

1 hour ago, Gary Levelius said:

I'm using 50 count pixel strings with 2811B IC's controlling each pixel. The controller is a Pixie4. Software is 4.3.18 Pro

I've never heard of ws2811b is that a typo? I have heard of the ws2812b but could you share a link to some info or something?

59 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I hate to hear this since I am awaiting 2 pixie16's. Adding more complications to my already complicated new to RGB self.

I thought they are sup to be pretty much plug and play

JR

They are if you just program the pixel channels. I can make them work properly that way, but I wanted to be able to run all the sequences I have done using the CCR programming and not have to re-do them.

I can't believe not a single person, let alone someone from LOR, hasn't answered this question. So much for support.

1 minute ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

I can't help you but maybe try opening a ticket with their help desk?    http://helpdesk.lightorama.com/

That was my next option. Trying to figure out that manual is like a spaghetti bowl. And this from someone who's figured out the E1.31 side already and been doing this for over 10 years.

2 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

I don't use the pixies but you could copy and paste from the the ccr's sequence to the pixel channel sequence 

According to the manual (if it's indeed right), I shouldn't even have to do that. Supposedly the Pixie's are to be directly compatible with CCR commands and channel assignments. At least that's what the doc's say ;)

In re-reading the Pixie manual, it appears the only Pixie controller that will be able to emulate the CCR/CCB controller is the Pixie 4D which hasn't even been released yet! Why the heck is it even in the documentation! Only took 50 times reading those pages before it sunk in. Anyone wanna buy a Pixie 4? No use to me now. I refuse to re-program all my CCR sequences. Teach me to use something proprietary (the macro's) in my sequences! Gets ya bent over every time.

I suggest LOR change their description for the Pixie 4 as it states the following directly in the Pixie 4 features:

Supports legacy mode which makes each string behave like a CCR or a single string CCB. Support all features of these devices (color effects and macros)

Either the docs are wrong or the description of the Pixie 4 is. Can't be both ways!

Edited by Gary Levelius
Additional information/discrepencies

52 minutes ago, Gary Levelius said:

In re-reading the Pixie manual, it appears the only Pixie controller that will be able to emulate the CCR/CCB controller is the Pixie 4D which hasn't even been released yet! Why the heck is it even in the documentation! Only took 50 times reading those pages before it sunk in. Anyone wanna buy a Pixie 4? No use to me now. I refuse to re-program all my CCR sequences. Teach me to use something proprietary (the macro's) in my sequences! Gets ya bent over every time.

I suggest LOR change their description for the Pixie 4 as it states the following directly in the Pixie 4 features:

Supports legacy mode which makes each string behave like a CCR or a single string CCB. Support all features of these devices (color effects and macros)

Either the docs are wrong or the description of the Pixie 4 is. Can't be both ways!

Gary, I may need a 4, let me research this beast. Im working on expanding my matrix using Bobs program. If it works the way I hope I will need exactly 4 more channels. Can you give me a day or 2 to let you know?

JR

Received a reply from support. Due to time constraints the current firmware does not support the CCR emulation but a new update, due within 60 days, will contain the emulation code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• The topic was locked