Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding a Image ?

RayandBlaze

The following is from the help file. Towards the end it describes how to import a large image and scroll it through the ribbons.

Import Image

On the right half of the Image Setup dialog box is the Import Image section. This section is used to import image files such as .jpg, .gif, .bmp, .png, and .ico files. To import an image file do the following:

Click on the Tools menu and select “Images…”

In the Import Image section, click on the “Import image File (JPG, GIF, BMP, PNG, ICO, etc)” button

If you are in CCR Mode the sequencing grid will become larger and will be 64x50 pixels in size. This is to allow you to define a large image if you want. You can manipulate the image by using the following controls:

Move Origin X Y – This control will move the origin of the image. Use the arrow buttons to move it left, right, up, or down

Squish/Stretch X Y – This control will squish or stretch the image in the X or Y direction. Using this control will change the aspect ratio of the image.

Rotation Angle – Use this control to rotate the image. A positive angle will rotate the image clockwise. A negative angle will rotate the image counterclockwise.

Enlarge/Shrink – Use this control to enlarge or shrink the image.

Clip Grid Bitmap – While manipulating the image you can click on “Clip Grid Bitmap” and set a clipping rectangle on the sequencing grid using “Shift + Left Mouse Button”. Then when you click on “Set Grid Bitmap from Image File” only the pixels within the clipping rectangle will get set.

After you have manipulated the image to the location, angle and size that you want, click on the “Set Grid Bitmap from Image File” button. This will set the pixels on the sequencing grid to represent the original imported image. At this point you can manual edit the image if you wish. Note that you can set the color controls to the color of a pixel in the sequencing grid by moving the mouse to a pixel and then do Shift + Left mouse click. To set a pixel, set the color controls to the color you want and then click on one or more pixels.

After you have the image the way you want it, type in a name in the Image section and click on the “Add” button in the Image section.

Images on a Small Grid

For example, if you have 12 CCRs and you are in CCR mode then you have a grid of 12x50 pixels to work with. However, when you import the image the grid will become larger and will be 64x50 pixels in size. If you want your image to fit within your 12x50 pixels that you have, then you will need to shrink the imported image and move it to the left so that it will fit within the first 12 columns of pixels. Then you can click on the “Set Grid Bitmap from Image File” button. You can then set the Grid Mode to “Standard” and the sequencing grid will become the standard size of 12x50 pixels.

Images on a Grid Larger than Your Actual Lights

For example, if you have 12 CCRs and you are in CCR mode then you have a grid of 12x50 pixels in your actual display. However, when you import the image the Grid Mode will automatically be set to “Large” and the grid will become large and will be 64x50 pixels in size. Even though your actual lights are only 12x50 pixels in size, you can create a larger image and move the image through your 12x50 pixels. This allows you to display large images on a small grid. To do this, do the following:

In the Import Image section, click on the “Import image File (JPG, GIF, BMP, PNG, ICO, etc)” button

The sequencing grid becomes larger and will be 64x50 pixels in size.

Manipulate the image but keep it large so that it uses most or all of the 64x50 pixels

Click on the “Set Grid Bitmap from Image File” button

If you want, manually edit the pixels further

In the “Image” section type in a name and click on the “Add” button

Now you want to add an image action that will move the image through your 12x50 pixels, so do the following:

Set the Grid Mode to “Standard”, this will change the grid to be the size of your actual display

In the time ruler at the top of the screen, set the time length to something long such as 4 seconds

In the Image Action section set Start x, y to 12, 0 and set the End x, y to -64, 0

In the Image Action section click on the “Add” button

Click on the “Play 8 seconds” button to play the Image Action. You should see the Image move through your 12 CCRs from right to left.

To make the image move from left to right, set Start x,y to -64, 0 and set End x, y to 12, 0. Note that these values assume your image is 64 pixels wide. If it is not that wide, then you would use smaller values.

Someone's been reading my mind.

My matrix will be 20X50

I have my sequence that I accidentally purchased last year that is only a 13 row matrix. How can I adjust the seq size to fill my 20 row height matrix? Once I get my CCR license problem fixed (awaiting reply from Chuck) I can experiment and try to re-export it with the new layout and config settings, however in the preview most of the images are still 10-12 rows tall. The flying images do scroll off the entire screen but the left to right objects are still smaller.

This is on my question list for you.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

The following is probably not the answer you would like.

You can use the pixel extender feature to shrink or stretch the number of pixels per row. But there is no automatic feature to adjust the number of rows a sequence is designed for. You can use "Group Modify" to scale the endpoints of morphs. But there is not an automatic way to adjust images.

You need to modify each of the images to do what you want them to do in the new layout. If you need the image to be bigger then you need to draw it bigger. If it needs to scroll through a larger area you need to manually tell it to do so.

I know its a pain, and it would be great if there was an "automatic" feature to adjust sequences, but it is a more difficult task than one might think. The reason it works well to change the number of pixels in a row is because the resolution in that direction is typically high. In most cases it is 50 pixels. You can change from 50 to 75 pixels and it ends up looking pretty much the same. But the resolution in the other direction is low, typically 12, 13, 16 or in your case 20. Any "automatic" feature that changes from a resolution of 13 to 20 will tend to change the appearance of the sequence. 

The bottom line is that currently to do something like go from 13 to 20 rows, using the group modify scale feature works well for morphs, but other effects such as images need to be adjusted manually.

And even in the case of morphs, it will often work better to adjust them manually. This is because sometimes morph effects are tailored to the number of rows in the display.

7 minutes ago, BrianBruderer said:

The following is probably not the answer you would like.

You can use the pixel extender feature to shrink or stretch the number of pixels per row. But there is no automatic feature to adjust the number of rows a sequence is designed for. You can use "Group Modify" to scale the endpoints of morphs. But there is not an automatic way to adjust images.

You need to modify each of the images to do what you want them to do in the new layout. If you need the image to be bigger then you need to draw it bigger. If it needs to scroll through a larger area you need to manually tell it to do so.

I know its a pain, and it would be great if there was an "automatic" feature to adjust sequences, but it is a more difficult task than one might think. The reason it works well to change the number of pixels in a row is because the resolution in that direction is typically high. In most cases it is 50 pixels. You can change from 50 to 75 pixels and it ends up looking pretty much the same. But the resolution in the other direction is low, typically 12, 13, 16 or in your case 20. Any "automatic" feature that changes from a resolution of 13 to 20 will tend to change the appearance of the sequence. 

The bottom line is that currently to do something like go from 13 to 20 rows, using the group modify scale feature works well for morphs, but other effects such as images need to be adjusted manually.

And even in the case of morphs, it will often work better to adjust them manually. This is because sometimes morph effects are tailored to the number of rows in the display.

Thanks Brian, I will learn this through your training! I actually thought of something similar last night but props are locked. I cannot get used to the SS layout unlike SE I cant see the entire design, but im sure you will show me.

BTW- I got my CCR upgrade fixed, all is well. I exported back to SE with my matrix settings but as you know- same size.

Am I the only one that doesn't see the "import image" option anywhere?  I click "images", but there is no "import image" button anywhere on the Image set up dialog box that opens.

15 minutes ago, Dcroc said:

Am I the only one that doesn't see the "import image" option anywhere?  I click "images", but there is no "import image" button anywhere on the Image set up dialog box that opens.

I don't see it either but I'm only on version 4.2.12 and it looks like your version is even older.  I believe we need to upgrade to the latest version to see this option.  Which I will be doing soon enough when S5 makes it's debut.....eventually.

Edited by B.Y.R.G.

15 minutes ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

I don't see it either but I'm only on version 4.2.12 and it looks like your version is even older.  I believe we need to upgrade to the latest version to see this option.  Which I will be doing soon enough when S5 makes it's debut.....eventually.

I just checked and I also do not see an "Import Image"

Interesting enough, when I upgraded to SS my version went down.

3 RGB newbs all in this together LOL, watch it be something easy like, gotta turn your head to the left and right click the screen or something.

Edited by dibblejr

Here:

Image_Import.png

I'm on 4.3.18, but it's been that way for quite a while.  No, I don't know when the image import happened.

BTW, to get to the image setup box, click the "Image mode" button which looks like a pencil between Smooth Effects mode and Text mode.

Edited by k6ccc

/\/\/\

Jim- we don't have that option. LOL We only can see 1/2 vertically of your pic above

I was on 4.3.16 prior to upgrade to SS add-on its weird it went backwards

Edited by dibblejr

Looking at my screen the "image setup" box does look like it has another layer to it but everything I have tried to do to unlayer it has not worked. The layer could just be me but it does not appear flat- if that makes sense

Just now, dibblejr said:

/\/\/\

Jim- we don't have that option. LOL

I was on 4.3.16 prior to upgrade to SS add-on its weird it went backwards

It's been there long before 4.3.16.  I was running 4.3.14 until after the 2016 season, and I used that function during 2016.  BTW, I just checked the "What's New" in the help file.  Image import was added in 4.3.6. It was enhanced in 4.3.12 and 4.3.16.

Out of curiosity, what was the prior version, and the "upgraded version".  Did you inadvertently install an older version?  Only way I can come up with that you would get an older version.

3 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Looking at my screen the "image setup" box does look like it has another layer to it but everything I have tried to do to unlayer it has not worked. The layer could just be me but it does not appear flat- if that makes sense

No, that does not make sense.  It's just the right half of the Image setup box.  No separate layer.

1 minute ago, k6ccc said:

It's been there long before 4.3.16.  I was running 4.3.14 until after the 2016 season, and I used that function during 2016.  BTW, I just checked the "What's New" in the help file.  Image import was added in 4.3.6. It was enhanced in 4.3.12 and 4.3.16.

Out of curiosity, what was the prior version, and the "upgraded version".  Did you inadvertently install an older version?  Only way I can come up with that you would get an older version.

The version of LOR went backwards and I didn't uninstall or do anything but add the SS add on and switched to Pro.

Maybe Brian will chime in and tell us how we can find the Import Image feature.

My SS is 4.2.12

2 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

No, that does not make sense.  It's just the right half of the Image setup box.  No separate layer.

Only way I can explain it is , the image setup box looks thick and looks like it is overlapping something

OK, if you're on 4.2.12 that would explain why you don't see a feature that was added in 4.3.6.

Note that unless you install a custom SuperStar version (usually a bug fix that Brian does in response to a specific bug - I have had several such bug fix version), your SuperStar will be the same version as all the rest of the LOR software components.

Ah, just saw your post with the screen capture.  That looks like a normal image box PRIOR to the import image function being added in 4.3.6.

Install something newer than 4.3.6 and you'll see the new half of the box.  Since you did a upgrade, your license is renewed so you can install the latest version.

Upgrading the superstar license should not effect the version you are running. If it did, I don't know why it did.

You need version 4.3.6 or newer to see the import image feature. If you download the latest version then you should see the import image option in the Image Setup dialog box. To download the latest version go to the LOR main page, click on Support and then click on "Download." In the download page, scroll down a bit and click on either of the two buttons that say something like "Download Now"

Downloading a new version will not change any of the sequence files you have and it will not change the license that you have.

1 minute ago, BrianBruderer said:

Upgrading the superstar license should not effect the version you are running. If it did, I don't know why it did.

But id you download the latest version then you should see the import image option in the Image Setup dialog box. To download the latest version go to the LOR main page, click on Support and then click on "Download." In the download page, scroll down a bit and click on either of the two buttons that say something like "Download Now"

Downloading a new version will not change any of the sequence files you have and it will not change the license that you have.

Brian- I meant when I upgraded to Pro- they were both done at the same time but I remember when I pushed the licence key for pro my signature version had decreased. I thought it was odd.