Light-O-Rama Forums

Help needed fixing RJ45 jacks

jeffandnicole

Over time, 2 RJ45 jacks in 2 different units (I have 10 in total) have become loose.  Admittedly, I've never used a soldering tool before, although I have one sitting in the package in my closet!  Being a little leery of trying it on the equipment, is there anyone in the South Jersey/Delaware/Philly area that wouldn't mind taking a look and possibly fixing them?  I will be happy to buy lunch/dinner or simply pay you for your time! 

Aside from that, how hard will it be for a soldering newbie to reattach these jacks back to the board?

There are Soldering irons (mostly for brute work) and there are soldering stations (for electronics).that offer temperature control and a range of tips.

I use an 'old school' Weller WTCP with a 700degree pencil tip that I use for 1/10 center PTH work.and attaching leads to LED strips

What do you have for soldering:

The iron/station?

Tip size and temp?  you can delam a PCB with a poor choice either way. too cool and you heat too long. Too hot and you burn the board.

Solder sucker/solder wick

Solder DIA and core type?  (NEVER ACID)

BTW what controller  (I noticed my PC16v2 has hot glue reinforcing the jacks plastic (good plan).   Are the pins damaged? Maybe you just need to ease the body back and Hot Glue  <-Glue gun needed

It's the CTB16PC controller.   As you can see in the pic, it's ever so slightly pulled out of its proper placement (the other is similarly just a bit off).  I don't believe there's any damage to the pins, as before it became too loose I could wiggle it enough to get it to work.  As for soldering, I have the soldering iron.  I don't think I have any other material for it, since I never tried using it.  However, I (well, actually, my wife) do have the hot glue gun.

LOR1.jpg

A solder station and a square flow adapter would be great for this. I used fix Xbox's and playstation games and they are very nice to have. You can probably get one that works for this at Harbor Freight. They have a big sale coming up in March.

The flow station allows you to heat up the entire chip to remelt the solder that is already there enough to get it back in place.

I think you can just push it back in place and ad a dab of hot glue on the out side.(board lip) 

Use care, and NO glue near the jack opening side.(the front of your image).

<tip> Remember to  secure cords  around something BEFORE routing into the box, just in case someone like me later steps on/ trips over that cord.

DO NOT make a KNOT in the cord  , that ruins CAT6 (for ethernet use)

13 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

I think you can just push it back in place and ad a dab of hot glue on the out side.(board lip) 

Use care, and NO glue near the jack opening side.(the front of your image).

<tip> Remember to  secure cords  around something BEFORE routing into the box, just in case someone like me later steps on/ trips over that cord.

DO NOT make a KNOT in the cord  , that ruins CAT6 (for ethernet use)

Exactly why I tie my cords to my bushes and step hand rail. My cords look like logs going across my sidewalk this year and they were all zip tied together then wrapped around bushes with extra slack between the props and bushes and controllers and almost every delivery driver still tripped on them. Had I not tied them to everything just imagine my show being down for the season.

Howd you guess? Lol. Yeah this happened when the cord was actually too short to secure or tie down...so I figured I'd make do...and sure enough eventually someone tripped over the cord.  

I use the wireless easy light linkers from the pc to outside. Since there's 2 jacks inside the unit, I'm able to do 2 different runs (which I need to do by necessity anyway) and have these 2 faulty units at the end of each line.

And I appreciate the advice from each of you regarding the hot glue gun. I'll definitely try that first and see how it goes!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2017 at 9:44 AM, dibblejr said:

My cords look like logs going across my sidewalk this year and they were all zip tied together then wrapped around bushes with extra slack between the props and bushes and controllers and almost every delivery driver still tripped on them.

That's why I run my cords under my sidewalk.

2 hours ago, Steven said:

That's why I run my cords under my sidewalk.

Normally I do too, I had just had 3 surgeries on my arm so no routing under this year. I have posted the quick way to go under a sidewalk or driveway several times.

• The topic was locked