Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel String Question(s)

Dave76

Whitebuck,

Are you intending to leave the one inch square stick-on mounts year round, or pull them off at the end of the season?

Whitebuck,
Are you intending to leave the one inch square stick-on mounts year round, or pull them off at the end of the season?

I don't intend to take them down but remains to be seen how they will hold up. They have actually held much better than I expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. So I'm still not clear how you did the roof line? Is that tubing or half tub over ribbon lights and it's hard to see how mounted. I'm planning on using square nodes.  How did the ribbon pixels work out for you? First year using?

thanks!

Edited by Dave76

10 hours ago, whitebuck said:

Per your request, here is how I mounted along roof line and up the side of the house

f748f96cbdc1bf93e391e7a9e63b5580.jpg20b9e14a9421640b16b3ad1b8eb1f940.jpg

Did you have any connection issues using ribbon pixels?

Any problems with moisture or rain?

Do you have a recommended connector?

thank you!!!!

/\/\/\/\

You will not find a better price for connectors than Ray Wu. You may but I have really been shopping lately and he was way less expensive than everyone. If you purchase from him add to your cart and then copy paste your total to him and ask for best price. Normally its the shipping that he discounts.

JR

4 hours ago, Dave76 said:

Thanks. So I'm still not clear how you did the roof line? Is that tubing or half tub over ribbon lights and it's hard to see how mounted. I'm planning on using square nodes.  How did the ribbon pixels work out for you? First year using?

thanks!

It looks like this mounting hardware from Holidaycoro. http://www.holidaycoro.com/12mm-Strip-Holder-p/766.htm  I have used a ton of this stuff.  Little pricey but very clean install. Majority of my house outline has been on my house since mid 2015 with no failures.  Key is waterproofing.  

10 hours ago, dibblejr said:

/\/\/\/\

You will not find a better price for connectors than Ray Wu. You may but I have really been shopping lately and he was way less expensive than everyone. If you purchase from him add to your cart and then copy paste your total to him and ask for best price. Normally its the shipping that he discounts.

JR

Where do I find his site?  Thanks

It looks like this mounting hardware from Holidaycoro. http://www.holidaycoro.com/12mm-Strip-Holder-p/766.htm  I have used a ton of this stuff.  Little pricey but very clean install. Majority of my house outline has been on my house since mid 2015 with no failures.  Key is waterproofing.  

Yes the roof line is HC, I really like these channels. They stayed up all year with only minor yellowing, but you can't tell when the lights play.

17 hours ago, Dave76 said:

Did you have any connection issues using ribbon pixels?

Any problems with moisture or rain?

Do you have a recommended connector?

thank you!!!!

No, I didn't have any connection problems after I figured out that a lower watt/temperature soldering iron was better for attaching the extensions.  I sealed them with hot glue and shrink wrap and so far, so good.  Mine were covered with Ice, Snow, and literally buried along the driveway.  Water and Icicles were dripping off the roof covering the connectors and wires.  So, I am fairly confident in what I did as I did not have any issues.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the 'behind the scene' pictures..

How to vids are great, but only after you know what you want to do.  (and how much effort it might take)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Whitebuck, what are using to control your matrix and what network type are you using. I am working on a matrix now and looking into control hardware. Do you think a pixie?

Whitebuck, what are using to control your matrix and what network type are you using. I am working on a matrix now and looking into control hardware. Do you think a pixie?

I am using an E1.31 network (cat5 from the computer thru a switch to the Controller). My controller is a PixLite 4 for the matrix, but if I'd do it again, I'd go with a PixLite 16 because I have so much fun, it's just nicer to have more connection options.

Is the PixLite controller compatible with the Light O Rama software using the E1.31 protocol? I am assuming that anything that talks E1.31 can be connected together but I am not sure.

Is the PixLite controller compatible with the Light O Rama software using the E1.31 protocol? I am assuming that anything that talks E1.31 can be connected together but I am not sure.

I used 100% LOR, PE, and SS to program my show, so yes.

• Like 1

I used 100% LOR, PE, and SS to program my show, so yes.

Note, I have received great support the one time I contacted them and otherwise, no issues. I believe they have a real solid board, multi-year warranty and I have hooked things wrong without damage. Fuses blow when they should. Highly recommend them.

The biggest issue I have with the Pixlite and the Pixcon to an extent is the smaller 4 amp fuse on each port as most boards out there are 5 amp,  You may say well that is only one amp, well that one amp can make a big difference in being able to run 50 or 100 pixels on a port especially if you don't want to do power injection.

The biggest issue I have with the Pixlite and the Pixcon to an extent is the smaller 4 amp fuse on each port as most boards out there are 5 amp,  You may say well that is only one amp, well that one amp can make a big difference in being able to run 50 or 100 pixels on a port especially if you don't want to do power injection.

My boards have 5 amp fuses. In my video, I am running 100 Brilliant Bulbs without Power Injection, the matrix is 1152 with 4 connections and 4 injection points. The strips are the worst, but injection is still about 100 pixels or 150 leds.

4 minutes ago, whitebuck said:

My boards have 5 amp fuses. In my video, I am running 100 Brilliant Bulbs without Power Injection, the matrix is 1152 with 4 connections and 4 injection points. The strips are the worst, but injection is still about 100 pixels or 150 leds.

Did they upgrade the boards to 5 amp? They have always been 4 amp.